High Protein/Low Protein HELP

That's parts per million. That's the lowest detectable level. Basically, that means that in the unlikely event there is any, it's in an amount so small as to be of no consequence. You probably eat more mercury than that in canned tuna.

Our puppies/dogs may very well be eating better than us .... which is fine by me !:winkgrin:
 
Our puppies/dogs may very well be eating better than us .... which is fine by me !:winkgrin:

Well that is probably true..considering tonite Brian is eating box mac-n-cheese...and I am eating a ramen soup,because I am sick with flu.

Meanwhile Trapp & Earnie have eaten thier ration of TOTW,a bit of Merricks,and Vibrant Pets!:smile2:
 
Hope your feeling better very soon!!!!

Check this link out (the video) .. very interesting!!!

http://www.healthy-k9.com/blog/41/n...y-sell-you-nutritionally-inadequate-dog-food/

Well that was interesting. He sounds like he was in the UK. Thank you for sharing that.

I think today it is at its worst,i'm trying to stay pretty much out of the front great room,as all we have for heat is wood,and I'm having a hard time breathing.


I've set two humidifiers, but we really need one big one for the whole house.I did get an antibiotic today,but have'nt had any relief,hopefully tomorrow.

So how is the transitioning going with TOTW? Is every thing ok
 
Very good! Good to hear.

We just went today,I had to get some fresh air,so went with Brian to get another bag,as I don't like getting low.They love all the varieties. You'll notice that some nuggets are bigger than others depending on the flavor.This new bag is the Pacific Stream,and it is quite a bit larger nugget than the last one which was Wetlands variety.

We took Trapp along for the ride. He did better today riding in the cart,at first he was'nt to keen about the moving cart,and I noticed he was scared,so I took him out,and we walked a bit.

Then I placed him back in after a walk thru some aisles,and he did much better. I had cliker & some treats. Then of course he got a treat at the checkout,so all was good by then.
 
SO I asked my vet a lot of questions today!

HE told me that a high protein diet is good for a puppy/dog and does not promote or cause any kind of kidney problems. BUT if your dog has a history of kidney problems or kidney disease it is best to put him on a low protein diet.
I asked him about grains and corn in dog food and he didnt seem concerned about them as long as they werent in the top 4 ingredients or the primary source of protein. I told him I give my pup TOTW.. he wasnt impressed ! HE didnt say it was bad tho either.. (keep in mind tho all of the foods in the waiting room of the animal hospital all contained grains.) ( so Im sure he cant say grain is "BAD".)
Im sure many of your vets opinions may differ, so as many said to me on this forum..... "do what you and your vet feel is the right thing for your dog".
I was also told it is a very good idea to get annual blood work done on your dog starting around 5 years of age or sooner if you desire.. He said they will do a full blood work up when he gets snipped so I may just start getting it done annually from then on. (im sure most of you know this already ... but just incase there are sum newbies out there....like me.)
 
Well, lots of discussion on protein and kidney, but none on protein and liver function.

As many of you know, Bacca has been dealing with mysterious ailments for almost 7 months. I won't go into the particulars again, but his last blood work indicates that his ALT readings had gone over the roof!

He'd been on a high protein diet for, yes, about 7 months. Coincidence? We are not sure. For the last 6 weeks he has been on a regular protein diet (24% - and still grain free - Product is called "NOW"). He will go for more testing at end of January to determine whether is ALT readings have gone down. If not, then we'll know its not diet, and that that he might have a congential liver shunt. If they do go down, then, it points to high protein NOT being a good option for him.

My vet is opposed to what she calls "fad diets". I've not bought her story yet, but the next round of bloodwork will tell all.

I will say that since that Bacca has been on the reduced protein, liver supplement pills and hypothyroid meds, he is a a whole new pup! I'm told he was the life at the party at OttawaAid 2009 (can you believe that my pups are claiming that they collected donations to the SPCA at their party!!!! Price of admission, and double to the gate crashers...so they sayt!)
 
Back
Top