Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hit the Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Handling Techniques' started by Chris, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    See my latest post under "Fat Shelties." :uhoh:

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    What a Great Weekend

OK, now that the show is over, here's how it went. I hosted Gayle Eads of Bran-Gay Shelties. She is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met! I picked her up at 5:30 on Friday, and we didn't stop talking until 11:00 that night! I learned so much -- she showed me how to go over a Sheltie, including what makes a good skull, leg angulation, expression, etc. We went over all four of my furkids, evaluating strengths and weaknesses. Even Annie a good point: perfect topskull! I think Gayle fell in love with Beckon -- he sure did fall in love with her! He woke her Saturday morning with kisses!

I've only been to a few shows, but Gayle runs the happiest ring I've ever seen! She was all smiles, spoke kindly to all participants when they brought their Shelties to the table. When a Sheltie seemed a bit shy or off, she took the time to coax its confidence and personality. I was excited to see how hard she worked to determine the best dog -- she paid no attention to who was handling, excpet to be incredibly gracious to everyone. Based on what I've learned from my mentors and from Gayle, I tried to pick top four in each class -- and I hit it almost every time! Afterward, we talked about why she chose which dog/bitch, what the handlers did well or could have improved on. Here's Best of Breed; the minute he walked into the ring, it was a foregone conclusion -- Griffon blew me away!

http://www.sheltiesonline.com/ad_archive_2009/suncrest_1_080809.html

That night, we went to dinner with three other club members, my DS, and Layla. The entire meal was Sheltie talk -- more education! I felt so welcomed and included. All the exhibitors at the show were pleasant and willing to visit a bit. All in all, I had a splendid weekend -- and emerged with another wonderful mentor! :biggrin2:

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    What a fantastic experience for you Chris. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing with us.

4. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    What a great weekend and so envious. I must say that I had a wow moment when I looked at Griffon - then I saw who the daddy is and no wonder I had wow moment, he is Zak's daddy. Such a handsome tri. So glad you got to have such a wonderful experience and did you buy anything fun at the show?

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Chris, what a wonderful weekend and learning experience! With all the work you are putting into gathering the best knowledge possible I have NO DOUBT you will be an exceptional breeder when you start your program.

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    No -- except raffle tickets!

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Thank you -- I sure hope so!!

8. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    What a wonderful opportunity this was, Chris ! The sheltiesonline ad of Griffon is amazing.

Now we need to get you to come evaluate some of our dogs for fun / practice / education.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    What a great learning opportunity, Chris! You'll be ready for that show ring in no time. Any chance you'll be at the Maryland shows this weekend?

10. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL