Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How did you raise your Sheltie in an apartment? Regret starting to sink in.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by angelnov90gmail.com, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    A lot of us here swear by a long string of bells on the door. Gavin learned to ring them he wanted to go out.

2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    We have the bells, but when we were training Cooper it became a toy for him so we removed them. Now that he is actually trained we figured we will put them back up next month (6 months) and see if we can get him to use it properly. Touch wood....he has been so good and has only had the one accident when the breeder and his sibling were here for a visit ...about 2 1/2 months I think. He runs to the door when he needs out, but does the same when he just wants to go out and watch the world go by. lol. Your work will pay off angel, each pup is on their own schedule of when the light bulb turns on and they get it. :)

3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We used the bells with Shelby too. We realized she didn’t know how to tell us she had to go out. The breeder just let the dogs out and they would go. She doesn’t teach her dogs to tell you they have to go. They learn to hold it until she lets them out. Because of this Shelby would just go whenever she had to go. She didn’t know how to tell us. The bells worked great! But to be honest we did get tired of hearing them ring all the time and eventually took them down. If Shelby needs to go out she whines and clicks her teeth at us. But usually she just holds it until we let her out, just as the breeder did.

4. angelnov90gmail.com

angelnov90gmail.com Forums Regular

May 24, 2019
    Thanks everyone!

I started teach him to touch the bells. Next I just need to get him to like my front door now. He doesn’t really like it because he associates it with the outdoors. I’ll try bonding him and treating him by the door more.

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I remember how intense the first 6 months were with Gavin....He was such a happy guy it didn't feel like work though! I get more snuggles from my old guy now. His puppy energy was contagious back then, I only see short glimpses of that puppy now.

One day potty training will just click with him and he will get it. He really does want to make you happy:)

6. angelnov90gmail.com

angelnov90gmail.com Forums Regular

May 24, 2019
    Ha I hope so.

Gavin sounds sweet. Theon is the only one at day care that doesn’t come running to his parent (me) during pick up. Embarassing!

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin would NEVER leave the dog park with me. talk about embarrassing! I would have to catch him, or have someone else help me. It took years before I would take him to the off leash dog beach because I didn't trust him.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have 3 shelties and one of mine decided... na, don’t really want to come when called! Problem was, he was teaching my puppy it was OK to disregard my COME command! Lisa told me to treat every time they would respond to the command! Fixed the problem in a week! Everyone comes running! Now I only need to treat once a week so they never know when they will get one!

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Take him for a walk on a flexi leash and when he's a good distance from you call him to you and give a tug on the leash (so your pulling him towards you at the same time you call him) then praise big time and give a treat. Do this randomly on walks...in no time he'll be running to you every time!
    Always reward come, and always have treats in your pocket for this and you'll get a perfect recall. It's very important to train this should he ever accidentally get off leash you want him to come running back to you.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I trained Piper to ring a bell when he had to go outside and he did fantastic with it! Really helped him to understand that he was supposed to pee outside. Then we moved and I got Finnie...he would ring them but it became more of just to go outside to play. I'd take him outside and he'd start ringing the bell again and again and again lol. The bell came off...now at a year and a half (after many set backs lol) he jumps at the door when he has to go. No more bell lol.

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.