How Do You Get Your Sheltie Groomed?

I am currently trying to learn to groom my own. Personally, I would recommend trying to find a groomer you are reasonably happy with and then, if you want to, gradually doing more and more yourself. As you start doing more yourself, you can go to the groomer less frequently until you don't feel that you need the groomer anymore.

Personally, I have found that getting good at brushing, so that I can easily comb through the dog when I am done (including the underside) has been a gradual learning process. It is not difficult, but, the more I do it, the better I get at it.

When I started getting good at that, I started extending the time between groomings and bathed them myself once in between groomings.

By doing it gradually, you can be sure you are not missing something (like a mat, especially on the underside). It also allows you to gradually invest in equipment (grooming table, dryer, scissors). Granted, the equipment is inexpensive compared to the cost of paying to get them groomed.
 
I am currently trying to learn to groom my own. Personally, I would recommend trying to find a groomer you are reasonably happy with and then, if you want to, gradually doing more and more yourself. As you start doing more yourself, you can go to the groomer less frequently until you don't feel that you need the groomer anymore.

Personally, I have found that getting good at brushing, so that I can easily comb through the dog when I am done (including the underside) has been a gradual learning process. It is not difficult, but, the more I do it, the better I get at it.

When I started getting good at that, I started extending the time between groomings and bathed them myself once in between groomings.

By doing it gradually, you can be sure you are not missing something (like a mat, especially on the underside). It also allows you to gradually invest in equipment (grooming table, dryer, scissors). Granted, the equipment is inexpensive compared to the cost of paying to get them groomed.

Exactly and as an added bonus besides spending more time with your dog, it also allows you since your down in the nitty gritty to notice if there is anything amiss with them either a lump/bump or anything else since you are truly hands on in every part of their body.
 
With my first Sheltie, I always did it myself. I learned over the years through trial and error and some very patient Sheltie groomers at dog shows who let me watch and gave me some pointers.

Bela has twice the coat Neechee had, and she's twice his size to boot. I have some issues with my hands, so I can't do as much as I used to, so I have her done.

I've used this lady for many years - she boarded Neechee when I had all my surgeries. She allows me to watch and direct her groomer in exactly what I want done. I didn't have the time last time, and she got a little overly-aggressive with the scissoring, but not excessively so.

When you have a non-showing Sheltie, the most they need is foot clipping, trim a little around the pants, and poop chute. If left to itself, Bela's coat will literally drag the floor, so she usually gets some very slight "neatening" of her undercarriage and tail. And her ears are simply wild when left to themselves. She has naturally-tipping ears, but they always look awful if not trimmed.
 
I do about half of Buffy's grooming myself but we do take her to a groomer periodically, especially if I don't feel like inhaling a bunch of hair and cleaning the bathtub afterward. She has a lot of hair!

We do most foot trims and we bought a nail grinder which helps between groomings. I brush Buffy every night or every other night with Chris Christensen Show Off and I do her teeth.

We give her a full bath in our tub occasionally. I would say she gets bathed about once a month, either by us or a groomer. (Keep in mind that she is allowed on our bed and furniture, and my husband has allergies so she needs to be clean.) About every other time is the groomer. Whether we do it ourselves or take her in kind of depends how lazy we are feeling.

She has had one bad haircut but it grew back quickly and she's probably had 15 or so decent ones. I have always used real groomers not Petsmart, even though they are more expensive. Our current groomer does her feet, wings, shaves her belly (our request - not everyone does this), cleans up her rear end, and clips her up a bit so her fur isn't dragging on the ground. It takes a few hours. It is especially a godsend to send her out if she is blowing coat - it takes care of a lot of the shedding issue. Buffy is hair endowed so she needs more regular grooming than my first sheltie did.

Ask around your neighborhood, especially if there are any sheltie or collie owners. We have done all our groomers from referrals. Bring pictures and info (you can get a lot on the forum). Give very specific instructions and you may wish to have them stay away from some more "advanced" areas until you try them out once. They will get better at grooming your sheltie and knowing what you want if you stay with the same person. This is our second groomer and I'm pretty happy with her.

I did already have some basic info about grooming because my auntie bred shelties and she taught me. So I knew what to tell the groomers. Your breeder should be able to do the same for you, or maybe she can refer you to someone closer who can show you the ropes. It's not that hard, you just need a few basic tools and the right brush.
 
Even excellent groomer can make mistakes. Remember they somehow have to be proficient in grooming every single breed imaginable.

So the better educated you are, you can inform your groomer in what you want. They have the tools and the techniques but might need some help with the expertise.

For example....I found out that my groomer was unaware that you should never brush a Sheltie (or any other guard coated breed) dry. She had been taught at grooming school to brush the coats after the bath and blow dry. I showed her the broken guard hair on Bacca's back and now she will never do it again.

Is she a bad groomer? Not at all! She just did not happen to know this requirement for this specific breed!
 
For example....I found out that my groomer was unaware that you should never brush a Sheltie (or any other guard coated breed) dry. She had been taught at grooming school to brush the coats after the bath and blow dry. I showed her the broken guard hair on Bacca's back and now she will never do it again.

I'm confused, you are saying they should not be brushed as you are blowing them dry?

What is the proper thing to do after a bath before they are dry?
 
I'm not sure what Barb means, but you should never brush your dog when the coat is completely dry in between baths. Always mist the coat with a spray bottle of water when doing regular daily or weekly brushing. This keeps the hair from breaking.

I brush my dogs with a soft pin brush as I blow dry them after baths. It speeds the drying time and helps the coat lay correctly. I only dry them halfway, though, to avoid drying the coat out. I'll dry a bit more in the winter but never completely. They stay inside until they're completely dry after baths unless it's summer.

Of course I've never seen a damp dog that doesn't insist on reclining on the couch to complete the drying process, after a nice head to toe rub on the rest of the furniture... :rolleyes2:
 
Yes I too am confused by what Barb posted, hopefully she will clarify what she means.

They way I also do it is the same as Ann, I brush while blow drying to lay the coat in the correct direction and I leave them damp....which apparently in sheltie accordance means you lay on the couch, against of course the closest human to make sure they share in the wet!:biggrin2:
 
As I re-read it, I think she meant that the dog should not be brushed AFTER it has been completely blown dry. I misinterpreted it to say that they that they should not be brushed WHILE being dried. My bad. :uhoh:
 
Yes, that's what I meant. Never brush a Sheltie when its coat is fully dry.

Seems my groomer was taught to blow dry the dog dry, then line brush.

You want to blow the dog to damp, then line brush.


Or if you are doing just a brush, mist the dog down and then brush.
 
Back
Top