How much do you pay?

Wow I cant wait till college is over and I can go all out. Caro your shelties are in sheltie heaven over there!
 
Eagle Pack Holistic 15lb (7kg) bag costs me $75. Cans of EP holistic cost me $5.75 each and Nutro natural selects $3.75 (locally made) (if I dont cook I serve a whole can for dinner). Luckily we often win dog kibble at flyball comps so I haven't needed to buy any kibble this year - in fact I have given some away.



WOW $75 for 15 lbs!!!!!!! can Snickers come over for dinner???:biggrin2:
 
$16.50 for six pounds of Wellness white fish and sweet potato. Only feed one dog, 1/4 C twice a day, so it lasts quite awhile. I'm not sure exactly how long.
 
Two weeks of Smudge's prescription dog food is $44. :dead: I'm seriously trying to convince the parental units that raw isn't evil. While I'm sure raw is more expensive than kibble...it can't be $88 a month bad!

He is obviously having a terrible reaction to something in the kibble. He started puking until his stomach was empty. Then when his stomach was empty he began puking up blood (acid was eating at the blood vessels). A month of trying different dog foods (and a dog that was refusing to eat - he only ate 1/3 a cup of dog food a day...with me begging and pleading with him!) lead me no other choice but prescription dog food. Smudge was on three different medications and still throwing up. All three medicines were medicines that were made to stop him from vomiting. Guess what? They didn't. Two vets couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He was refusing chicken, dog treats, everything. He still refuses some treats.

Fluffy's dog food is $28 for a 15 pound bag of Eukanuba Puppy lamb and rice. I have not yet decided what her adult food will be. The two bags I have will last me until she's about a year old.
 
Two weeks of Smudge's prescription dog food is $44. :dead: I'm seriously trying to convince the parental units that raw isn't evil. While I'm sure raw is more expensive than kibble...it can't be $88 a month bad!

He is obviously having a terrible reaction to something in the kibble. He started puking until his stomach was empty. Then when his stomach was empty he began puking up blood (acid was eating at the blood vessels). A month of trying different dog foods (and a dog that was refusing to eat - he only ate 1/3 a cup of dog food a day...with me begging and pleading with him!) lead me no other choice but prescription dog food. Smudge was on three different medications and still throwing up. All three medicines were medicines that were made to stop him from vomiting. Guess what? They didn't. Two vets couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He was refusing chicken, dog treats, everything. He still refuses some treats.

Fluffy's dog food is $28 for a 15 pound bag of Eukanuba Puppy lamb and rice. I have not yet decided what her adult food will be. The two bags I have will last me until she's about a year old.
not to interfere with the thread theme...
kudos to you for doing all of it for the Smudge, am sure it cost pretty money to deal with vets/ health issues.... problem is Smudge has compromised immune system and that is where you need to go- you need to built it up and it is doable... otherwise Smudge will continue one problem after another... patching things up is very costly when you have shaky foundation... my big vote for switching Smudge's diet to raw and getting him off his meds...
 
I've received more than a few pms about this.

1. Smudge is not on any medications. He was on three different medications about a month ago, because two different vets could not figure out what was wrong with him. Allergy? Bad reaction to something? The vet said it could have been stress related. We don't know. He is no longer on the pills, because they did not help. (Stool samples taken two different times cleared him of parvo, since he was throwing up blood).

2. Smudge is no longer throwing up. He has not thrown up (to my knowledge) for a month.

3. Smudge is on prescription dog food, because he has refused several good quality dog foods, and even some low quality dog foods - both wet and dry. He still refuses some food. Chicken was one of them.

4. I'm not against raw, and one day we will try it (but everybody will have to help me convince the parental units :uhoh:). For now though, since the vet(s) and I have been trying, begging, and pleading with him for a month to eat I'm leaving it be. In another year when we can do bloodwork (and I really am anxious to see if he does in fact have an allergy - can allergies be detected at a year?) then we will see.

Jennifer thinks he has a problem with his digestive tract, because he was throwing up about 10-15 minutes after every meal, and it was whole pieces of kibble he was throwing up.

Again, we don't know.

I knew when Smudge had red mange I was probably going to be in for a wild ride for the next 15 years or so. I'm ok with that. :cool:
 
Two weeks of Smudge's prescription dog food is $44. :dead: I'm seriously trying to convince the parental units that raw isn't evil. While I'm sure raw is more expensive than kibble...it can't be $88 a month bad!

He is obviously having a terrible reaction to something in the kibble. He started puking until his stomach was empty. Then when his stomach was empty he began puking up blood (acid was eating at the blood vessels). A month of trying different dog foods (and a dog that was refusing to eat - he only ate 1/3 a cup of dog food a day...with me begging and pleading with him!) lead me no other choice but prescription dog food. Smudge was on three different medications and still throwing up. All three medicines were medicines that were made to stop him from vomiting. Guess what? They didn't. Two vets couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He was refusing chicken, dog treats, everything. He still refuses some treats.

Fluffy's dog food is $28 for a 15 pound bag of Eukanuba Puppy lamb and rice. I have not yet decided what her adult food will be. The two bags I have will last me until she's about a year old.

He's throwing up now? I'm assuming this is Hill's or something similar?

If so...please be careful. Hill's c/d almost sent my cats into kidney failure. Symptoms stopped as soon as we switched foods. I think they had some sort of allergy to one of the ingredients. I'm not saying the food is bad per se, but I think if it doesn't agree with your animals - it can really damage their bodies.

Edit: Disregard if not. I just read back over your second post.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top