How much food?

Chloe was one in September. She gets about 3/4 - 1 cup of dry kibble per day. No treats except maybe 2 or 3 mini Zukes.
 
My boys are both about 21 months old. They are both about 17-18 inches and both weigh in at about 25-28 lbs (it fluctuates). I've just moved them both to Adult Maintenance/Weight Control diet, and they get 2/3 cup plus 1 tbsp of yummy wet stuff, 2 times per day, which is significantly less than what the package says. They do not get alot of treats during the day - maybe 2 or 3 small ones (tiny Zuke, baby cookies).

What you are feeding: 1/2 cup does not seem very much, but 24lbs is a healthy weight. I think you are doing fine.
 
Thanks for all the great input. And just to be clear she gets 1 cup total a day split into two half cup meals. It's so hard trying to get the amount right and the "recommended" amount on the back of the bag is no help and I know if I let her, she would just eat and eat. I have no idea how tall she is either but she's a lot bigger than the sheltie we had when I was growing up because at 6 or 7 months old she had already out grown the kennel that had belonged to our previous sheltie and she had fit into it her entire life.

And in case your wondering why I'm asking about the food amount when I've had a sheltie before it's been about 15 years since I've had a sheltie, my last dog was a black lab.

Again thanks for all the information. I always worry that I'm not feeding her enough for her activity level and I had a couple people comment recently "that's all you feed her?" which made me start second guessing myself even more. It was never a huge concern for me since she seems to maintain the same weight, but I thought this would be a good place to ask about it.
 
He's HUGE!

My one-year old male Sheltie is a whopping 45 pounds and is the size of a small Golden Retriever. Sheesh. And here we bought a Sheltie because I had them as a kid and loved the size (20 pounds ~ LOL!) We bought him as a pup from a farm waaaay out in the country and didn't know a "big" sheltie pup when we saw one. He just looked "healthy and calm with big feet." Definitely nothing but Sheltie in his line, but you'd have to wonder as he is beautifully proportioned... just huge. He's such a sweetie, but he is ruled by his stomach. He would sell his soul for a crumb of anything.

I noticed there were no other Baby Huey Shelties on this forum, so should I take a 20# Sheltie food recommendation and just double it? I have noticed that Kipper doesn't have a waist anymore. Like I said, he loves food.:rolleyes2:
 
Good rule of thumb for a starting point is 1 cup per 20 lbs or 400 calories(avg amount of calories in most maintaince dog foods) per 20 lbs. The amount is abjusted based on the metabolism, activity level, intact or not,or if weight loss is needed. For weight loss, feed for the weight they should be not what they are. If they have alot to loss start at higher weight and work down.

Justice is intact weights 22lbs, 15" and has the metabolism of a bird. He is not as active as he was as a youngster. He is currently eating 1 cup 2x day.

Diva is intact 14.5" and 18.5lbs(she was 20lbs but lost:() She is the energizer bunny, she just keeps going and going:wink2:. She needs to gain weight and is currently eating 3/4c 2x daily

Ember is spayed 13" and 14.8lbs. She has the metabolism of a snail, is fairly active and could lose about a 1lb. She is currently getting 1/4 in am and 1/4-1/2 in pm. Any more and she gains weight.

I adjust if we train that day and I use alot of treats.
 
Last edited:
Interesting!!

Okay, that gives me some direction.
Kipper is 19" :eek2: at the shoulder and I'm guessing he eats about 2 1/4 cups a day of food, doggy biscuits and a few little things the kids drop on the floor and don't pick up before he snatches it. I know Shelties can be light eaters, but WOW this guy can eat.

I grew up with a "human" Sheltie that was so brilliant. We used to wonder how she was getting fat, so we went to bed and waited on the stairs very quietly to see what she was doing after we went up. She was raiding the garbage can... however, after licking and snacking, she put all the garbage BACK into the trash can! Brilliant girl. I lost her at 7yrs. to spontaneous renal failure and even though it's been nearly 25 years, I still cry when I think about her:cry:.
 
Dog biscuits and treats are a huge cause of weight gain in dogs. A avg size dog biscuit ie regular milkbone is 85 calories which is almost a 1/4 c of food. Choose low calories treats when trying to lose weight. Sometimes the only thing that is causing weight gain is the treat intake.:smile2:

If you are measuring and watch intake and still no weight loss or gaining, have the thyroid checked. It could be the problem.
 
I think Deska is the chubby one on the forum now - he has gone up to 29lb and is around 16 3/4". Tully is 13" and has also put on weight and is now 15.5lb. I stopped cooking for a while and hadn't been walking as much either (been unwell), all my fault, so we are all on a diet now. ATM they get a very small bone in the morning, 100g mince meat and either Vets All Natural weight loss formula or pumpkin mixed in.

Both dogs get fed the same amount even tho there is a big difference in size because Tully just burns up calories. I dont follow the rec amount on the pack after they are off puppy formulas. Shelties are very fuel efficient, even when highly active, and just dont need that much.
 
They're nearly a year old..so About a cup, per dog. A little less for toulouse since he's so much shorter.

Luka is 22 inches, and about 28 lbs. Toulouse is probably 13-14" (haven't measured in a bit) and stays steady at 8 lbs.

They're very solid and healthy. I think the amount must be right, because their weight stays so steady. They eat their food and pass out, lol. No rooting around for more food.

I should mention though, I feed a lot of frozen veggies and they usually get 2 tsp of peanut butter in their kibble.

I should note that toulouse was the runt of the litter, was about 3 lbs at 6 weeks, and we were told that he would barely be 12". Lol, he's just very petite.
 
Last edited:
Treats

Kipper is very, very treat motivated. Sometimes he won't even come in the house until we promise him a treat :(

Since he will eat anything but citrus... would it be terrible to give him a couple cheerios or a piece of air popped popcorn as a reward? Is corn bad for dogs?

Sorry to be so clueless here. I haven't had a dog for over 20 years and can't remember!

Thank you for the advice on the treats and the thyroid advice. I'll bet that is what is porking him up a bit! My Big Boy.
 
Back
Top