how often should a sheltie be bathed

I rinse my female every month and give my male an oil rinse fortnightly in summer. I use a car sponge and sponge down - it saturates the outer coat without wetting the undercoat much. The smell and dirt tends to collect in the outer coat. For my male I use a few drops of 'sea breeze oil' from plush puppy mixed in the water as he has a dry coat, for my female I use conditioner mixed into the water. I only do a full wash with shampoo, conditioner, treatments and the rest (they have more hair products than me) every 2 months.
Brilliant! I never thought of giving Max sponge bath. :lol: He smells like pee from being at doggie daycamp, so sponge, here I come. :cool:
 
It really does depend on the dog.

Bacca NEVER smells! But Indy's coat seems to absorb everything around him. If my son is cooking, then Indy ends up smelling like onions and garlic! Whew!

But dirt is dirt. So I too am going to get myself a car sponge! For those cottage clean ups. Maybe a squee-gee too for quicker drying!
 
I've had great success with Mane and Tail, which you can get at Walmart. It's very inexpensive, comes in a big bottle compared to others. Its very concentrated so you don't need to use as much so it also lasts longer.

That's what I use now! It's great! You get 20X the amount compared to other shampoos, and usually for less money then the others as well.

Caliber is bathed...oh I'd say about every 4-6 months as well. My friend who also has a Sheltie always smells him and says "Aaaah, smells like Sheltie" :lol: I don't need to bathe him at all unless there has been water in the backyard that has been sitting still for a while and he runs through it :uhoh: Then he just smells like a sludge pond....ewww. They generally are clean dogs by nature. I only bathe and spray cologne on Caliber when we go somewhere for a holiday dinner...even though I don't need to, it's still nice. Other then that the only way I can describe his smell is "hung on the clothes line fresh" :lol:
 
We bathe Cassie every 1.5 - 2 months (I mean the grooming people do).

Yes, us too! In between, I brush with "dry shampoo" and leave-in conditioner (sometimes). And I do nails and trimming at least every 2 weeks.

When I smell something funky between bathes, then I do the butt check and either rinse out (baby wipes or dry shampoo) or snip out any nasties.

I've never bathed at home. I just don't have the time or the proper set up. It takes the groomer 4 hours to do my dogs. And I assume that's two groomers going at the same time.

But I did buy a nozzle for my bath-tub that folds over the fawcett, in case of "emergencies". A few weeks ago, I had to take the hose to Indy because he found some wild animal poo up at the cottage and rolled in it. Yuck!
 
I really depends on the dog. And how often it gets dirty.
I bathe Treader every few months or as needed. As it turns out, he hasn't had a bath since January.
 
Mine never really smell...my aussie sometimes smells doggy, but not the shelts. Regardless I bathe them about every 2 months, with a foot or butt bath in between a needed. I also use a coat freshener spray that I got at petsmart sometimes when I brush them.
 
Laika often smells more doggie than Aztec.

That said, they do get baths every two weeks. This is because we visit the nursing home every two weeks and they have a regulation that dogs have to be bathed within 24 hours prior to going.

Sometimes if I skip the nursing home they go 3-4 weeks. Never more than that, since I am allergic to dogs and I start to get a reaction to Aztec. (Aztec doesn't smell as bad, but he does give me a allergic reaction when Laika doesn't)
 
Is there any advantage to giving them a bath early when they are a puppy?
Sca seems a bit more happy with being brushed (or resigned to it) each time I put him on his table. I will admit the new CC brush I got him helped also... I could swear I heard him go ahhhh the first time I used it. But I digress. He is not really stinky or dirty, he even seemed to repel some red clay he got on him the other day. But I have some white on white and figure a bath this Sunday might get him trained to not be bothered by it. Oh and do y'all get a non-slip pad for the tub or anything?

And yes I am wanting to test his show dog shampoo :o and the Ice on Ice :o
 
I put a towel in the bottom of the tub,when they are little. And Earnhardt..well at 96lbs..he isn't moving!

Trapp actally had a quick bath the other day,cause the little stinker got playing in the mud,and this was his second bath,and did so much better than the first time.

At least as of yesterday,while I was doing my hair,he came in the bathroom,and went right over to the tub. So I gently lifted him in,and he wandered about.(no water) he seemed quite at ease with being in there.

We just make the whole ordeal of a bath lots of fun,the first time.I did use the clicker & treats.he did quite well.

Baby wipes for quick clean ups are a big help.I do find though,that Trapp does not have that doggy smell,which is nice~ When it rains,and Earnhardt does get wet,lordy me..he smells gross.
 
Back
Top