how often should a sheltie be bathed

It's all circumstantial, lol.

We have a farm, which means goats, a pond, goose crap, deer poop, many other wonderful treasures that are a sheltie rolling paradise, need I say more?

So, bathing more than every 2-3 months is essential in our circumstance, lol, not compulsive.

I agree. :yes: I'm just saying that for all the city slickers and for those of us who don't live with farm animals. :lol:

I'm also saying it from personal experience. I clean my hair and condition it once every other day. I also have oily hair on top of it. So I had to switch to a dandruff shampoo and condtioner, because my scalp is still dry. Yuck. :dead:
 
I agree,no matter how big,it is a times sake to bath monthly. I can't possibly bath Earnhardt that much.Honestly,he gets very dried out if he is bathed to much.
And we use special shampoo on him,oatmeal based because of his skin.
 
those little yorkies and maltese, we have many clients that come weekly with no problems.

Oh my sweet french toast. :eek2: I'm so afraid of maltese dogs. Why? Because they are PURE WHITE.

:uhoh:

It's like they're begging for dirt to hitch a hide in their fur. Oh yes! Over here please! My coat isn't dirty enough. Plus it's so long I'm stepping on it!

They sure are cute dogs, but I'd hate to have a show maltese. I bet it's a pain keeping those things clean!
 
Oh my sweet french toast. :eek2: I'm so afraid of maltese dogs. Why? Because they are PURE WHITE.

:uhoh:

It's like they're begging for dirt to hitch a hide in their fur. Oh yes! Over here please! My coat isn't dirty enough. Plus it's so long I'm stepping on it!

They sure are cute dogs, but I'd hate to have a show maltese. I bet it's a pain keeping those things clean!

I won't like it either. I set up grooming next to a lady showing a Maltese in Canada. She had the hair all wrapped up in papers and rubber bands. She sent hours unrolling them and combing the hair then she flat ironed the hair.
She told me the hair can't be left loose or it tangles really quickly and her dogs never go outside. I'm sorry I don't work that hard on my hair.:eek2:
 
I thought I saw somebody flat ironing their dog's fur on a dog show I saw on tv once! I bet it was a Maltese! I kept thinking it was odd that you would flat iron a dog's hair. I know toy breeds are mostly for looks, but still!

I like grooming my dog, but I don't think I could whip out the 'ol flat iron every day or so and give him a good straightening out!
 
Last edited:
To play devil's advocate, well, for show purposes, I guess its no different from Sheltie showers, chalking up the pups, etc - to get the look!

If Indy's hair was long enough, I would use an iron on it to try and get it to lay flat. :lol::wink2: It's soft but fairly short and with a heavy undercoat, so it just sticks straight out, and makes him look about 300 pounds (310 pounds in pictures!)
 
To play devil's advocate, well, for show purposes, I guess its no different from Sheltie showers, chalking up the pups, etc - to get the look!

Yes but between shows you can let them be dogs. :wink2: Diva is already reverting back to her natual state one day post show. She had a good romp though the mud and love it. :lol: Can't say it made me that happy though.:mad:
 
Yes but between shows you can let them be dogs. :wink2: Diva is already reverting back to her natual state one day post show. She had a good romp though the mud and love it. :lol: Can't say it made me that happy though.:mad:

You need the natural state pic to go with the show groom pic :winkgrin:
 
Back
Top