If any of you think you can help me out, feel free to try...

In the grand scheme of all foods, I would rather see dogs given a variety of foods rather than a single source. Finding multiple flavors within a brand is good, mixing foods around is good.

So I wouldn't stress too much about what single food to feed. Feed a couple of bags of one food, then rotate to something else, then something else. Have three or four foods you can feed and rotate or mix them up. Then add whole foods to that, either meat or eggs or cottage cheese or whatever. This way, what is in a single food is not quite so critical.
 
What is the food you feed your shelties?

Well...this is just what I do:

I personally feed Taste of the Wild. I buy the larger bag of the Pacific Stream because it has 25% protein and I mix in that a 5 lbs bag of either Wetlands or High prairie that are 32% protein. Randi just told me today that they are coming out with a Lamb formula that is 25%, so I will use that as well. I like to keep my dogs stomachs used to a variety of different protein sources, so I mix it up a lot within the Taste of the Wild brand name.

In addition to that, once a month I cook for my dogs. I put in a big roaster and use it as a slow cooker meats, veggies, fish and cook it all together and freeze it in little containers. I use this to mix into their food. Some of the types of foods that I cook in their little medley is halibut, salmon, turkey, chicken, beef, etc. My Uncle sends me the fish from his home in Alaska, that is frozen on the boat when he fishes and the meat I get what the local butcher has. I use a variety of seasonal fruits and veggies.

So basically, my dogs get a hodge podge of food.
 
Was at the vet this morning and thought I'd ask his opinion on protein just to find out. Like many have said ask people and you get different answers. He told me he doesnt believe in high protein. for my 12 year old he said less than 20%. for my 3 year old he said low 20's.

He said to me. If you feed a dog cat food which is very high protein all their life they'll have kidney problems all their life. I thought that was an interesting thing to say. Anyhow i'll go with my gut and his recommendation and get off of Orijen Adult which is 40%. May try Go or Now.

Hope your search is going well.
 
You can vote...

Fromm surf and turf:Salmon, Duck Meal, Potatoes, Pea Flour, Sweet Potatoes, Duck, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Tomato Pomace, Salmon Meal, Whole Dried Egg, Pea Protein, Chicken, Flaxseed, Cheese, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Chicken Broth, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.
30% protein, 15% fat.
Cons-I will have to order online, it contains pea four, tomatoe pomance, salt, chicken fat.
Pros-small kibble!, grain free, about 10$ cheaper than Acana, Perfect protein/fat content, and my girl loves duck.

Or Acana Lamb and Apple:
New Zealand lamb meal, steamed oats, peas, sunflower oil, de-boned New Zealand
lamb, red delicious apples, natural lamb flavor, flaxseed, alfalfa leaf, pumpkin, turnip
greens, cranberries, saskatoon berries, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack,
dulse), burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, sweet fennel,
angelica root, sea buckthorn, chicory root, stinging nettle, red raspberry leaf, milk
thistle, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, Lactobacillus
acidophilus, Enterococcus faec
27% protein, 15%fat
Cons-contains grain (though only one high quality which is why im ok with it.), more expensive, very large kibble, sunflower oil, natural lamb flavour.
Pros- Good protein, hypoallergenic, buy locally
 
high/low protein thread: http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=4040


I use Fromm. Salt is a very minor ingredient. I talked to the Fromm reps many times with many,many questions and they had all great answers.

Most of the foods you have listed are top quality foods tho and most if not all would be good for your dogs. I used to be stressed out about foods... I did research and picked one.
 
At sheltie guy, elm creek is about 2 hours away from me, so i looked on pet food direct and with the coupon saving it comes to 53$ for the grain free surf and turf. Do you think thats a rip off? Have your dogs tried the surf and turf?
 
Back
Top