If any of you think you can help me out, feel free to try...

(anyone else, I'm trying to find the thread on protein and am having issues, if any of you know of it off hand, I'd love to read it - as I feed my pups Orijen and it has a LOT of protein. May think about switching to Now! or Go!)

I'll see if I can find it, as it might have been one that I started. I had the boys on Orijen, then Horizon - both very high protein. Took them off because of Bacca's liver. Now feeding Now! If I find the thread I'll post back.
 
(anyone else, I'm trying to find the thread on protein and am having issues, if any of you know of it off hand, I'd love to read it - as I feed my pups Orijen and it has a LOT of protein. May think about switching to Now! or Go!)

I know someone who feeds all four of her dogs Orijen. The dogs are 2, 6, 12, and 18.5. Even the old man eats Orijen, just watered down. His bloodwork is perfect.

Here is an article on protein needs.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/dogs-and-protein/
 
did anyone noticed that all this craziness about high protein DOG diet coincides with craziness of HUMAN high protein diets i.e. Atkin's spread like a plague among overweight population... there is some marketing genius out there...
unfortunately inventing square and oval wheels usually does not work in the long term... even though for while people like idea of novelty...
that too, shall pass...
BTW did anyone noticed how OLD people on high protein diet suddenly look? Or it is just my impression?
 
I know someone who feeds all four of her dogs Orijen. The dogs are 2, 6, 12, and 18.5. Even the old man eats Orijen, just watered down. His bloodwork is perfect.

Here is an article on protein needs.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/dogs-and-protein/

Ugh what the H*LL do i believe. Honestly. At first I think high protein is bad. Do re search to find out it isnt bad so I switch to high protein. After reading about these terrible my dog died because his kidney's were to strained from all the protein ect. stories I think oh great maybe im wrong again, back to lower protein. Then after reading on Acana and origen about how they need high protein I go on Acana grain free. Come on here and get told shes not running a marathon a day, what am i thinking, so ill switch to a lower protein. Then read this article along with 2 others, and it says YOU CAN'T FED A DOG TO MUCH PROTEIN. Ugh, maybe ill ask my vet. But I can't even trust them as they recommend SCIENCE DIET:dead: i guess ill only trust my gutt on this one. Thanks but no thanks everyone... haha im so frustrated. Sorry for the freak out.
 
Lacey's Mamma,
I would be concerned regarding feeding my dog with this amount of herbals day in and day out. It appears to me that those herbs added to kibble are riding marketing wave of " wholistic food". Mishmash of every "good healthy herb" they could find. Why do you need to feed it on everyday basis? As much as they all have some therapeutic properties they ARE HEALING herbs and should be used as such and not as supplement for everyday feeding.

All im gonna say is I trust Acana to know what herbs to use/how much ect.
 
Why? Based on what?

The company makes only the top quality dog foods, and based on hundreds of reviews by sites/authors/vets/nutritionist ect. no one has anything bad to say about the company. Im sure if these herbs were not good, some nutritionist would have said something about it on one of the many articles about the food... considering they essentially use all the same herbs in every formulation of dog food they make... I really dont want to take the time to re search every herb and see if its good or not. Origen and Acana are known for making the best for a reason, and i trust them.:smile2: Not to be rude but more than you... unless your a vet... haha...
 
Ugh what the H*LL do i believe. Honestly. At first I think high protein is bad. Do re search to find out it isnt bad so I switch to high protein. After reading about these terrible my dog died because his kidney's were to strained from all the protein ect. stories I think oh great maybe im wrong again, back to lower protein. Then after reading on Acana and origen about how they need high protein I go on Acana grain free. Come on here and get told shes not running a marathon a day, what am i thinking, so ill switch to a lower protein. Then read this article along with 2 others, and it says YOU CAN'T FED A DOG TO MUCH PROTEIN. Ugh, maybe ill ask my vet. But I can't even trust them as they recommend SCIENCE DIET:dead: i guess ill only trust my gutt on this one. Thanks but no thanks everyone... haha im so frustrated. Sorry for the freak out.

In talking to my vet (who doesn't offer Science Diet, but calls anything not Purina a "fad"), he said he would rather I feed raw than feed high protein kibble. This is not because of protein content, but because of digestibility. Since raw meat is like 75% water, it's much easier on the kidneys than kibble. I do notice that my one kibble fed dog drinks way more than the raw fed ones.

So in the same vein, I think plant based proteins are harder on them. So if the food is high protein because they have artificially upped the protein with plant based ingredients (ala the famous recalled wheat gluten), I think that's bad.
 
Most doctors, like most vets, are not trained nutritionists or dieticians. This requires specialized training.

In looking at the list of herbs included in this food, there is no way I would ever take them, let alone give them to a dog. There is the risk of potential side effects not just from one but from a combination of them. Burdock can be poisonous - we always got rid of it on the farm. I would not risk my dog's life with feeding a food with that many herbs in it. Even as a person, when I see patients coming through the office who take a lot of herbs I cring. They can have potential very serious side effects when someone is undergoing surgery. I know patients are told to avoid ALL herbal medications prior to a procedure.

Secondly, you asked for advice. You have been given advice. Then you say Thanks but not thanks, that unless a person is a vet you will not take advice. You either want advice or you do not. All of us on here care very much about our dogs and put them on the best food we can (yes, sometimes cost is a factor in what we feed). Some have done a lot of research and gladly shared it with the rest of us. We need to keep an open mind as to what we are being told. As others have said in other threads, vets do not always give the best advice about food, just because it is NOT their area of expertise. Personally, I read the findings on the dog food, but do not take it as being the only reason I would put a dog on a particular food. Recomendations, particularly by someone who knows the dog (i.e. the breeder), I do take into account when choosing a food.
 
Back
Top