Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Just signed Devon up for beginning agility class

Discussion in 'Agility' started by SRW, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    seriously all dogs are faster than the handler- some dogs learn to go slow and not get ahead of the handler. if you want to compete, you do not want to slow your dog down. the only place that you can beat your dog is when they are in the weaves.....
    here's a video of Destin doing novice jumpers with weaves- he is my fastest dog. you can see he beats me to the tunnel, then I catch him in the weaves and then I don't go all the way to the jump at the turn to run out the end of the course. Destin had some serious commitment to going on to jumps so that's what you'll need to get that distance handling.
    Running dogwalks where the dog runs the whole way across the dogwalk and down through the contact area are one of the edges that competitors use to win since a running dogwalk is faster than a 2o2o contact. but if you need that catch up time, stopped contacts can give you that moment to catch up in standard. nothing but weaves to let you catch up in jumpers with weaves.

SRW and KarenCurtis like this.
  2. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Now I get it, Minnie would want to go thru the tunnel every time! She loves it

Calliesmom likes this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Makes perfect sense! Thanks

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio

Yes, Destin is really quick. You were further away from him that I was from Devon, and he knew to do things without you being right there. Devon doesn't know that yet, probably because he's been taught that the treats come from me when he does something, so he wants to be right next to me to be sure he gets that treat right away. Also, while I knew he was far faster than me on the ground, I really wasn't prepared for how fast he got across that narrow elevated walkway as no dog in the class, some of whom have been through the class multiple times, even came close to the speed that Devon got across it. If I'd had known how fast he was going to be at it I wouldn't have ever thought about trying to beat him to the other end. Oh well, this was my first time doing it too.

Did you have trouble getting Destin to go over the A frame in the beginning? That's the one thing Devon doesn't want to do, and I'm pretty sure it's because he can't see over the top. I managed to coax him over the top once in class a few weeks ago by holding diced ham cubes in front of his nose and leading him over, but when he got near the top he slinked down and almost crawled over the top, so we've got to work on that as well. I didn't even attempt to have him go over that in the contest because I knew he wasn't ready to do it. Other than that he's shown no fear of any of the obstacles.

Calliesmom likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Our instructor lowers the Aframe when dogs are first learning it so it's not as high for the dog to get up. Destin had no fear of anything and another advantage that he had was watching my other dogs do everything so he was pretty sure he knew what he was doing.
    It is hard when you first get started- there's so much to learn for both you and the dog.
    I also used a lotus ball with Destin- you put treats in it and toss it away from you so that treats don't always come from your hand.

KarenCurtis and SRW like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Our instructor lowered the A frame also, gradually made it higher as each dog got more successful at it. I love watching your videos, I learn from them. It is hard and takes time! When I start agility again in the Spring, I'm going to get there earlier and practice that course so I know it well, then my goal is to to always know where my dog is and get that distance handling so I can keep up with Minnie. The instructor told us that this takes TIME. She's been at it for ten years

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio

I think I remember the instructor saying that their A-Frame doesn't lower. I'm pretty sure that's the case as it would have been a lot easier to do that with Devon versus trying to coax him over the top at full height on his first try. However, some of the other dogs don't seem to have a problem, but then again Devon is the smallest dog in the class so I suspect that the A-Frame looks more intimidating to him.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it does take time... we've only been doing it for 8 years but nowhere near thinking I could teach a class.......
    I still have tons to learn and teach the dogs.... but as a multisport house- never enough time for everything so something or someone is always on the back burner......

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Do you have something you can make into s small a frame yourself? Just a thought

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Dixie would be the dog who wouldn't do the Aframe in class. She put a paw or 2 on it and that was it. I went to our practice field another evening when there wasn't a class and took Cranberry with Dixie. He'd already taken the beginning class and was doing all the obstacles. I let them do some jumps and tunnel together and then sent Cran to the Aframe- Dixie followed right up behind him and never had an issue with it after that.
    The power of jealousy and copycat behaviors- when you have multiple dogs, use that to your advantage:yes:

SRW and KarenCurtis like this.