Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Keeping Remy Beautiful

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Bill Porter, Jun 29, 2020.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Depends on the sand paper grit and nail density

As Hanna stated, put a towel around the long fur so it does not get tangled in the Dremel

In my post that grinder does not get hot and takes less time to file down nails. My boys like it much better

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Nice thing about the 7300 is it has 2 speeds. I don't let it touch the nail constantly but rather very short bursts. I'll sometimes do the higher speed and then clean them up with the lower. I started them both as a puppy but Riley was 7 and took to it like a pro. I figure as long as they're used to having nails done it doesn't take long to get them used to it and I never have gone too short with a Dremel.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :hide I actually just use the guillotine type nail trimmers on the dogs and the cat. That's what I always used as a vet tech. Of course very occasionally I will hit the quick on a black nail, but it's pretty seldom. I use a liquid that comes in a bottle for stopping the bleeding. Luckily all of Meadow's nails are white and they better stay that way!!! :fl

4. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    We use a clipper. It’s small with an orange handle. Looks kind of like a pliers or wire cutter. Easy to find online or at a pet supply store. I groomed professionally for10 years and used either dremmel or clippers depending on the dog. No matter what, like other people said, go slow. Mindy is 19 months and I started clipping right away...just one nail at a time while she was on my lap and we were goofing around, so it was no big deal and she got a treat. Many of her white nails turned black as she grew and now she has a mixed set! I leave the clippers lying around so it’s not a big deal when she sees them. Just trim a few nails here and there. If you are super nervous, the dog will pick up on that and probably worry. If you only do a nail or two at a time, less pressure on you, too! Plus, if it’s just something you commonly do (instead of waiting every 4-6-8 weeks) you can feel fine just taking a tiny bit off and not have to worry about hitting the quick and making them bleed. Give yourself treats, too! Make it fun for everyone! Good luck with it. You can do it!

5. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    I do the one nail a day method too...I think I hate it more than he does. I use clippers, his nails are not as thick as my past shelties, and all white. Many times he goes over to the box where I keep grooming tools and cries for me to make him "Pretty Boy Floyd." The worst one is his dew claw, it's a weird angle, and I'm terrified I will slip and cut his whole toe off! But that's just because I'm a worry wort! I've always wondered if a dremel would be easier. I'm sure I could train him to let me use it, it would just take some time. Thanks for all the informative replies.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    what liquid is that?
    I trimmed the nails on my brother's dog and hit the quick on several nails as they hadn't been trimmed in a while. used all my styptic on her:rolleyes2: and had to buy more.............

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    One of Cranberry's dew claws grew back and I do use clippers on that one- kinda hard to get the dremel on it...........

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    It is Veterinary Formula Super Clot gel. I think I just got it at a local pet supply place. Works well. Styptic pencils just didn't do the trick for me.

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    thanks- I think we'll look for that:yes:

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.