Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Knee Sprain

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Abby4123, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    Wow, that’s very smart, I might even start this evening! He hasn’t learned any tricks yet (and I’ve never taught any dog any tricks) so I think that would be very fun for the both of us :) thank you!

Piper's mom, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, just taught Liam Touch! He loves that game! Good idea

Piper's mom, Calliesmom and Abby4123 like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I second Lisa's suggestion for teaching "touch". It's my favorite way to start any training and a wonderful game to settle your dog or make them focus. You can build off that and teach some other things as well. I've had my share of crate-bound dogs recovering from surgeries and one of my favorite activities is to put some treats under an upside down box or container along with a few other empty containers and let him find the one with the treats. Simple, but it is a good mind game and if there's anything Shelties need, it's mind games! We live with kongs here too...all of mine love them with frozen organic yogurt.

Good for you sticking to the two weeks. That should be a big help in really healing your pup. Hope his progress continues!

4. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I've got four stuffed kongs always in the freezer, that way you won't run out

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm so sorry to hear your little boy is injured. I dealt with enforced rest for Honey when she was about that age, and it's hard to get through. One game honey and I loved when she couldn't move and have continued to play is having her try to catch a ball with her paw. Space your hands about four feet apart and roll the ball right in front of the paws while the pup is laying down. They can reach out with a mouth or foot to catch it, gets them excited and working while keeping them still. Gentle tug of war is good too.

Good luck!

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    Update: almost one full week down but we had another setback! He never wants to go potty when on the leash, so I have to let him off but I monitor him closely. Two days ago he started running around excited and didn’t want to come back to me (he knew that I was gonna take him back to the kennel). Then today he did the same, with random bursts of energy. Then he started limping again! I’ll probably book him an appointment for the vet soon. The only dog chiropractor here is booked for a solid month :( there’s another but it’s an hour away. I’m working on using Kong’s more and I’ll definitely need to buy another but that doesn’t solve my leash problem.

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Are you trying with a 6ft leash? Maybe try a long line like we use for beginner obedience that is 20 to 30 ft. If that does no work try a clothes line and attach a clip to it! It won’t be so heave and you will have more control! Heck, all they have to do is turn wrong once and you are back to square one. Sorry about the new setback! Sounds like a vet visit is in order. Let us know how it goes!

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I'm so sorry he started limping again, I agree...it sounds like a follow up is needed. Do you have a holistic vet in your area (a vet who does things like Chinese medicine, acupuncture, physiotherapy etc)?
    When Piper had hurt his shoulder 2 years ago I had made an appointment with one but cancelled when he improved literally overnight. They may be able to help you get him on the mend.

9. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    I have a 16ft one and he doesn’t really like it. He does okay walking around but he never wants to go far and he never wants to go. I try extending it far and locking it so that it’s loose but he still doesn’t bite.

10. Abby4123

Abby4123 Forums Regular

Aug 12, 2019
    I’ve been looking but all I see are regular vets. I’ll try do to some deeper research to find any.