Koji's First AKC Trial

AKC versus NADAC

I thought I'd write this up here in case anyone was interested in my opinion. lol. I typically run NADAC and this was my first AKC so take it for what its worth.

NADAC typically has 5 runs a day. AKC 2 or 3 depending on if they're running FAST. With NADAC you get more for your money, however, one thing I absolutely LOVED about AKC....I wasn't there all day.

With Novice AKC for this trial, my check-in time was 12:30pm (I'm told this isn't the norm....to hand out check-in times). So both days, I didn't need to be there until that time. Typical check-in time for NADAC (for everyone) is 8am. We ran AKC FAST on Saturday and was done by 4:30pm. Without FAST on Sunday, we were done by 2pm. (yup, that meant I was there for 5 hours Sat and 2 hours Sun). NADAC, I'm there from about 7:30am to about 5pm. Novice tends to run last so I'm there early to check-in and last to run.

The one thing I learned and really liked is that in AKC, if all dogs are NOT checked in, they canNOT start until the stated check-in time. If all dogs ARE checked in, we can start early. Which meant....for my friend who got lost and was running late, they wouldn't start without her as long as she got there by 12:30pm. (Again, not the norm, if your host club does not have a check-in time specifically for your group, then this would not apply)

With AKC, people are packing up and leaving while I'm running. A lot of people are gone by the time I get there (that's the Excellent group). So by the afternoon, it's quieter, less people, etc. It was kinda nice.

With NADAC, everyone is pretty much there all day long. I think some people come later, but we're there all day.

I'd say both groups, people were helpful and friendly. There was a lot of yelling going on at AKC at people driving, but weirdly, to park, you drive right past the ring and where everyone is camped out. The two judges I had for AKC, one was a bit short and rude with everyone, the other was pretty funny and easy-going. But with anything, you never know what you're going to get (unless you had them before). Almost all the NADAC judges I've met so far are talkative, pretty easy going, etc. out of the ring if you have questions, etc.

One thing we didn't know...and learned. With AKC, once you're in the ring, you can remove the dog's leash and when they say "go" they mean go ahead and run. Whereas with NADAC, you cannot remove the leash until the judge says "good luck". Until then, dog must be on lead. You can set your dog up, but dog stays on lead. No wonder we kept getting weird looks. lol.

I can't say I like or dislike anything better. With NADAC, Koji gets more of his zoomies out. With AKC it's like good luck. I liked AKC how I could get there late and it was a short day. But then, I like having 5 runs in NADAC.

AKC's courses seemed like the obstacles are closer. But then I'm told NADAC is built for speed, so things are spread apart more. I felt AKC Novice JWW was align with Level 1 or 2 in CPE, but seemed easier than NADAC's novice Jumpers (I think it was the layouts that seemed easier and that the jumps were closer - less running for me). As for Standard. I can't really compare. In NADAC, all we have is jumps, hoops, weaves, dog walk, and A-frame. Obviously, everything can be in AKC (and was this weekend). So obviously, if your dog can't do everything, NADAC is easier.

That's about it. If anyone has questions, ask away. I honestly think I'm liking AKC. Even though there are fewer runs, just because I'm not there all day. However, I still love NADAC.
 
Last edited:
With Novice AKC for this trial, my check-in time was 12:30pm. So both days, I didn't need to be there until that time. Typical check-in time for NADAC (for everyone) is 8am. We ran AKC FAST on Saturday and was done by 4:30pm. Without FAST on Sunday, we were done by 2pm. (yup, that meant I was there for 5 hours Sat and 2 hours Sun). NADAC, I'm there from about 7:30am to about 5pm. Novice tends to run last so I'm there early to check-in and last to run.

The later check in time for Novice runners is not typical.

I've been to two AKC trials here, and have spoken to many others who have attended more trials than I have, and there is no separate check in for Novices.

The fact that the club sponsoring the trial you attended did that is the exception rather than the rule. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the Summer heat more than "being nice".

Honestly, I like the idea of having the novices come later in the day but, unfortunately, that just isn't the norm.

The one thing I learned and really liked is that in AKC, if all dogs are NOT checked in, they canNOT start until the check-in time. If all dogs ARE checked in, we can start early. Which meant....for my friend who got lost and was running late, they wouldn't start without her as long as she got there by 12:30pm.

Again, this is NOT the norm. They had to do it this way because they told novices they don't have to be there until 12:30. Because they said "be here at 12:30 for check in" they couldn't start before that time.

Normally, if you aren't checked in by your time to run, too bad - you loose the run.
 
The later check in time for Novice runners is not typical.

I've been to two AKC trials here, and have spoken to many others who have attended more trials than I have, and there is no separate check in for Novices.

The fact that the club sponsoring the trial you attended did that is the exception rather than the rule. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the Summer heat more than "being nice".

Honestly, I like the idea of having the novices come later in the day but, unfortunately, that just isn't the norm.

Thanks for that clarification Sheri. I had asked a few people I talked with and they told me it's typical for the AKC events here (not just the club hosting it). I just assumed then it was across the board. Wow. I can edit that out of my post. So, maybe it's just for us? And I doubt it was due to the heat. It's SoCal, what we had was a heat wave, nothing normal.

Also, I was told that novice here....if they have their permanent height cards, they can come later too. No "main" check-in required. You'd just have to do the "run" check-in (as in check-in with the gate steward). So you can come later (again, I was told it was normal for Excellent to run first, then Open, then Novice).

Again, this is NOT the norm. They had to do it this way because they told novices they don't have to be there until 12:30. Because they said "be here at 12:30 for check in" they couldn't start before that time.

Normally, if you aren't checked in by your time to run, too bad - you loose the run.

Maybe I'll go read through the rule books. It seems strange that a lot of local trials here would do it one way, and yours would be different. Again, I'm in SoCal so heat really isn't a big deal most of the year. Yikes. I'll go edit my previous post to state that it's not the norm so no one gets confused.
 
I'll go back and re-read my confirmation emails from the Trial Sec as well but if I saw a later check in I'd have been all over it.

Edan has a P-Card for AKC now so we can actually go later in the morning though if I'm going to a facility for the first time, I may still go early to make sure I have crating space. I don't know. I'll have to play it by ear for my next AKC trial in September.


EDITED TO ADD
I looked at the confirmation e-mails for both AKC trials I've been to. Neither one specifies a time for Novice check in. They do talk about check-in for measuring however. Both state you need to be measured before your run (which is usually a Novice) and imply you are at your own risk if you try to get measured once runs have started because the VMO will only measure during course builds if requested by someone. (And hopefully they won't be helping with Course Builds like the VMO was at the 1st trial I went to and tried to get measured on a Sunday.)

So basically, if you need your dog measured, get there early to guarantee they will be measured in time for their runs.
 
Last edited:
I'll go back and re-read my confirmation emails from the Trial Sec as well but if I saw a later check in I'd have been all over it.

Edan has a P-Card for AKC now so we can actually go later in the morning though if I'm going to a facility for the first time, I may still go early to make sure I have crating space. I don't know. I'll have to play it by ear for my next AKC trial in September.

Seems odd, but I guess they can do it however they want as long as they follow the same rules. Maybe it's just an option they can choose to do or not do. My friend (who's done 2 other AKC events) did ask if we got the confirmation saying what time our check-in time was. I don't think they were the same host club, but I can check. It's definitely not something in the premium, but the confirmation you get the week of the trial (well, we get it the week of, or week prior).

Also, just curious, for your AKC trials, did they show the running order, how many dogs in each group, etc? My friend said for all her AKC trials they have done that. This is interesting.
 
I don't think they were the same host club, but I can check. It's definitely not something in the premium, but the confirmation you get the week of the trial (well, we get it the week of, or week prior).

I edited my post above. I did check my confirmation emails from the Trial Sec and they didn't say anything about a specific check-in time. (See above for more detail.)

Also, just curious, for your AKC trials, did they show the running order, how many dogs in each group, etc? My friend said for all her AKC trials they have done that. This is interesting.

They do show the running order and how many dogs in each group. That was something I liked because you can guess-timate how long you'll be sitting around.
 
A professional photo

Here's a photo of Koji from Saturday. :) I loved it, so yes, I bought it. lol. I think I'll frame it.
 

Attachments

  • AKC_Koji_SM.jpg
    AKC_Koji_SM.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 15
Akc

That is awesome picture of Kojii!!! Tien Tran in my book has got to be one of the best agility photograpers around. When I first started agility she was in Ct. and at our club at the time and she took 4 pictures of Shadow and I bought every single one for $80.00 and I have 2 more by her from other trials. She is doing her pictures different now.Great Picture. If you go on my photo album I think there are a couple of pictures of Shadow she took.
 
Akc

Our trial secretary sends us a confirmation e-mail the week before and it shows the running order . I also like the fact that she post the results on her web site. Out of curiosity afet your run do you guys get a copy of your score sheet? We do here but when I was In Tenn. last year they did not give us one. Guess I am spoiled here
 
No, we don't get a copy of our score sheet. If we have a question about anything we can ask to see it though.
 
Back
Top