Liam 1st class: Graduation at AKC STAR Puppy Class!

What is so weird is their level one class for dogs 6 months and younger, they allow food. I assumed it would also be OK for level 2 class. Not the case. I even went back to their website and said minimal treatments. I brought this to their attention and told them it should be listed on the site ... Level 2 will not allow treats! They apologized for the confusion and did give me a full refund. Funny thing was, I did not sign up for Level 1 unless they allowed me to sit in and monitor the class before attending. I did like the class ... however, not the level 2 class w/o treats!
So glad you got your money back Gloria! It seems you did all the right things...bad training school. Your a great Sheltie mom, you have Liam's best interests at heart!
 
I feel kinda bad for the little Liam! He is going through another fear stage and I am concerned if I am not proactive and expose him to other environments and dogs I will regret it later by living with a shutdown and fearful dog for the rest of his life!

As it is, he was not at all fearful when I got him as a pup. He was bold and engaged with anyone who approached him.

Recently, I had a Halloween party with 12 people he did not know and he did well. Some folks he allowed to pet him. Others not. But at least he was curious.

My goal is a well adjusted pup/adult as we all do.
 
I have to say that Liam totally surprised me at class last night! So proud of little Liam!

He was the only puppy in the class to complete the down and sit stay the longest!
He did EVERYTHING I asked of him. His heeling was just outstanding!
When we heeled from one end to the other he even pranced!!!
OMG... everyone was so impressed!
The trainers said he could go to show with his exuberance! Proud momma...

We had 13 puppies to start the class - only 5 completed all classes and graduated.

View attachment 14012
View attachment 14014 View attachment 14016
ADORABLE!!!! Sandstorm never went to puppy class, I do regret it even though he was easy to train. Our next puppy will definitely go.
 
It's a difficult balance during a fear period. I understand wanting him to be exposed to a lot of different things but now is also the time to be extra careful not to have anything excessively worry him.

He used to hate going into the car. Now he pops right in and is so proud of himself! When he has ‘wins’ like that he seems happy! The last class with the men seemed to terrify him!

I love the new CGC class as the women taught Baron who was incredibly shut down with timidity and shyness. The class worked wonders for him. Then again, he was five.

Quite frankly, he astonishes me with his bold and outgoing nature at home. He can be quite the bully to Beau! You are right, I need to be careful. I also don’t want to run the risk of not exposing him to other dogs and environments.

It certainly is a balancing act! Puppy 101 is a steep learning curve!
 
Last edited:
Not using treats, never heard of it - well I have in classes that use corrections to train, you should be able to pick how you train and reward your dog, you know him better than they do. Sounds like you did the right thing and headed to another class.

Tully can be a bit of a bully with Deska, when he lets her (he's pretty laid back). I think often the pushy behaviour is the sign of a dog that lacks confidence. But anyway, I'm bold and outgoing at home and shy when I go out - nothing wrong with that!
 
“I think often the pushy behaviour is the sign of a dog that lacks confidence.”

Really interesting observation... something I would have never considered, just the opposite in fact!
 
“I think often the pushy behaviour is the sign of a dog that lacks confidence.”

Really interesting observation... something I would have never considered, just the opposite in fact!

There's a theory that dogs that owners describe as 'alpha'(using the old term) are actually bullies and they are like this because they lack confidence. A vet behaviourist described it as 'status seeking behaviour'. A 'leader' doesn't need to be pushing others they are pretty laid back, they have the confidence to do their thing and if others follow so be it. I got all this when I saw a vet behaviourist about Tully - she said Deska was a leader and Tully lacked confident. Nowadays leadership is more fluid but Tully is still a little status seeking and I think will always be a little lower in confidence.
 
So, with this information in mind, should I try and curb Liam’s tendencies to bully Beau?

He would never try those antics on Baron! He puts Liam in his place immediately if he gets to pushy.
 
Liam started his CGC class yesterday. I think he did pretty well. He was not shut down.
He was a bit concerned at all the new dogs in the class as he never encountered before.
Fingers/paws crossed we do well.
 
Back
Top