Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Liver disease

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Piper's mom, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    So glad to hear of the improvement! Happy dance! Here's to it continuing.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I ordered this from Amazon.ca...thank you again for the link! Not too expensive but shipping wasn't free so I ordered 2. Should last us a couple months at least.
    Riley is doing slightly better...a little bit more energy, more willing to climb stairs (still needs coaxing sometimes) and just looks happier.
    I do know now that some things he can't tolerate (krill oil made him very very lethargic...had put all 3 dogs on it but took him off after 3 days) . As vet said clearly there's more going on with his liver than just the effects from a low thyroid and we may never know what it is but so long as we can keep it as healthy as possible for as long as possible!
    Riley is such a sweet boy (all 38 pounds of him), it's hard to watch him decline. I must say though that Piper and Finnie do try to keep him active. We also have an exercise regime for him to stop the muscle loss (he'll do anything for a home made cookie!).

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I am glad your family is adjusting to Riley's condition. Don't forget to give him plenty of loves (not that you would). My older boy has become a love sponge when before he never cared. And stopping muscle loss is a great idea....I've been trying to build muscle for 6 months with no luck so keep what you have!!

I have found that Gavin still has small spurts of utter joy (at the beach, local off leash area) and try to give those to him as much as I can.

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Glad you were able to order it! Bailey has been taking this supplement for about 2 years now. She gets 1 scoop every morning in her food. She is about half of Riley's size, so he may need more. Just make sure you wash your hands right away because the powder can stain your fingers yellow. Must be the curcumin in it.

So happy he is feeling a little better! I hope he continues to improve every day.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Riley certainly does enjoy getting lots of loving. There's nothing he loves better than being on the couch beside someone getting lots of petting! He also loves his walks...I have to walk him without the other dogs as he's slower than them and we have to stop every now and them but your right Cindy, whatever makes him happy!

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin never used to be a sniff the flowers kind of dog, he was the walking just as fast I can dog!
    But now we take our time and smell the flowers, eat the grass, and check everything out.
    In 40 minutes we might make it 2/3-3/4 of a mile now if we are lucky, whereas before we would get over 2 miles in that time.
    I find it challenging to find new and fun places to take him, but I keep trying cause he deserves whatever little joys I can bring to him :)

RikyR and Piper's mom like this.
  8. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Sending prayers and best wishes for Riley. Its such a shame this had to happen to him. Hopefully all can move
    forward in the right direction.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    About the same Cindy...he seems happy, just not a lot of energy (although he sure does get up in a hurry when it's supper time).
    He just sleeps a lot. He still loves his walks through (although it's gotten cold here, doesn't bother him just me lol). He's still the same happy boy (barks when he sees someone on the sidewalk or when someone comes over), just a bit slower.