Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Liver disease

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Piper's mom, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I know Gavin definitely has plenty of energy for things he enjoys. Not so much for things he doesn't.
    Dinner time, he is like a puppy! Walking to the dumpster to throw out the poop bag, not so much.
    I guess we are all like that when we get older.

ghggp, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Well we went back to the vet yesterday for another round of bloodwork and an exam by the vet. His liver enzymes are now normal but we couldn't get the thyroid levels as the machine isn't working so that will get courier'd out so possible we'll get them today..

Still no explanation for Riley's continued decline and to top it all off he's lost almost 2 pounds in a month! He doesn't want to take food off the floor but if you give it to him he'll take it and when I put his food bowl down he's hesitant to eat but if I hold it up he'll eat. The vet is wondering if it's caused by the enlarged liver and positional based on how he's standing (possibly makes him uncomfortable?)
    He also sits very slowly (like something bothers him) and carries his tail very low. The vet checked out his anal glands (one was almost full but didn't think that was the problem) and his prostate but it was small and normal. Next step will probably be an ultrasound...possibly small tumors that aren't showing up on the X-ray? She also put him on tramadol for pain (just trying to see if it makes a difference) and he gets to eat as much as he wants now. We need to see if he continues to lose weight, definitely not a good sign the weight loss.
    Very good vet though, for all she did (and she did a lot) no office visit charge again.
    Riley definitely didn't like this visit lol.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Gosh, sounds like we should be swapping liver results. Thanks for the update, it was useful reading through the thread again.

Interesting that you mentioned about his tail and sitting. Deska has bowel problems and scoots quite often and tucks his tail under, it's definitely when he has bowel issues - either constipated or diarrhea, or after he does a poop. The vet had checked his anal glands numerous times, wormed and re-wormed, but I know it's bowel related, just don't know why. Deska's also losing weight and Vet thinks he's a bit too thin. Not sure why that's happening as I had already increased his food. We've checked for thyroid and Cushings and he was fine.

Is the supplement helping at all? I was thinking of getting a supplement for Mr D's liver.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm sorry to hear you didn't get any real answers for Riley's issues. I always think that's the most frustrating thing when your dog is sick...knowing something is wrong and not being able to find out what it is. Sending continued good thoughts for Riley's improvement and hugs to you!

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Well the supplement must be working as his liver numbers are completely normal now. That's what has the vet so baffled...the fact that he continues the decline while his numbers get better!
    I hope Deska's enzymes come down as much as Riley's have! I'm certain a supplement would help (it certainly wouldn't hurt)! And it's easy to use, I just sprinkle it on his food.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    How very frustrating - amazing that the supplement brought his numbers back to normal, but now what? I hope ultrasound gives you some answers. Sending you and Riley good wishes. :hugs

Piper's mom likes this.