Mad Puppy

Scout’s Mom

Forums Enthusiast
My sweet little 4 month sheltie has quite a temper! He has been with us for 6 weeks and only in the last week has he shown his little butt, well actually not so little anymore. He has a crate to sleep in at night that is right beside our bed and an open pen in the kitchen/tv room where we spend most of out time.
Since he has passed his potty training test, he is most of the time allowed to be out of his pen and is able to run free, with supervision, in the whole area.
During the last week, when I have to put him in his pen he jumps up frantically, barks incessantly, and acts like he is having a temper tantrum.
He is on a routine with two walks a day, 2 obedience training sessions a day, 3 meals a day, plat sessions with me and our PomShi, Ginger, and naps when he is tired. How do I deal with this new behavior? Please help.
 
Ignore him. It’s the hardest thing but you have to ride it out. If you react to him, he’s rewarded for the behavior. This is how they train us. The most I would do is give a stern “Quiet” command. It may take a few times but they do figure it out.
 
Perhaps he’s got too much freedom? I’m just thinking of Blueberry when she was maybe 12 weeks old and it was too cold out to start her housebreaking so she peed on the pee pads. She’d been litter box trained and would pee on the pads consistently so I gave her a lot of freedom. After a week of this she got way too big for her britches and would bark at me when she misbehaved. I then started crating her (and ex pen) more...granted she was much younger but it did seem to help. She now is in her ex pen when I work (I’m a .8 evenings) and is such a good girl (I do come home on my break) with no crying (unless I’m late lol). She’s just over 6 months old.
 
Ignore him. It’s the hardest thing but you have to ride it out. If you react to him, he’s rewarded for the behavior. This is how they train us. The most I would do is give a stern “Quiet” command. It may take a few times but they do figure it out.
Absolutely...any attention you give him, except one stern "no" or "quiet", when he is behaving badly he will see as a plus. My Laddie went through this stage at about 5 months, suddenly my sweet puppy became a mini monster when things were not going HIS way. Thankfully by totally ignoring him he has decided that having a fit is just not worth the effort.
Trini
 
Perhaps he’s got too much freedom? I’m just thinking of Blueberry when she was maybe 12 weeks old and it was too cold out to start her housebreaking so she peed on the pee pads. She’d been litter box trained and would pee on the pads consistently so I gave her a lot of freedom. After a week of this she got way too big for her britches and would bark at me when she misbehaved. I then started crating her (and ex pen) more...granted she was much younger but it did seem to help. She now is in her ex pen when I work (I’m a .8 evenings) and is such a good girl (I do come home on my break) with no crying (unless I’m late lol). She’s just over 6 months old.
You may be right about giving him too much freedom. He was potty trained so fast and I thought he deserved more time out, but I think now he is too big for his britches! The problem is when I put him in the pen and he has one of his tantrums, my husband wants me to make him be quiet. His bark is loud and piercing, so I understand how he feels, but I have always been the trainer and my husband has reaped the benefits of an obedient dog. In addition, Scout is a much different breed than the dogs we have had in the past. I knew that going in, but I’m not sure my husband understood.
I have been using the quiet command, but it only works when he is calm and even then, not all the time.
 
Ignore him. It’s the hardest thing but you have to ride it out. If you react to him, he’s rewarded for the behavior. This is how they train us. The most I would do is give a stern “Quiet” command. It may take a few times but they do figure it out.
Best advice EVER!
Liam tried that at exactly the same age! He learned quickly that he would be ignored! Worked like a charm!
 
Ann's right. Maybe also try putting him in there with a food puzzle or peanut butter Kong while you walk away, so he associates the pen with something pleasurable, not just being left. It's a phase - be consistent and persistent! I know it's really hard when they are LOUD!
He does not like peanut butter. Can you imagine? But I do put a Kong filled with some of his kibble, bits of string cheese and diced baby carrots when we leave. He doesn’t get mad when we leave, only when I put him in the pen because I am cooking dinner or can’t watch him. I need a little time to clean my house, for goodness sake!
 
He does not like peanut butter. Can you imagine? But I do put a Kong filled with some of his kibble, bits of string cheese and diced baby carrots when we leave. He doesn’t get mad when we leave, only when I put him in the pen because I am cooking dinner or can’t watch him. I need a little time to clean my house, for goodness sake!
Oh and as for the stage 3 puzzle, that lasts for about 30 seconds.
 
Back
Top