MDR1 and Demodex Treatments

I meant the book. I didn't know there was a movie. :eek2:

Ok, maybe it wasn't that movie then. It was some movie about some rednecks, a dog, and the dog died at the end. It wasn't old yeller.

Dang. Good thing there wasn't a test on that movie! I even got the name wrong! :biggrin2:
 
Ok, maybe it wasn't that movie then. It was some movie about some rednecks, a dog, and the dog died at the end. It wasn't old yeller.

Dang. Good thing there wasn't a test on that movie! I even got the name wrong! :biggrin2:

Well, there are some rednecks, two dogs, and yeah, they die. Sorry. It is a really touching book and set in Arkansas... so... yup.
 
Jessica, I'm sorry you had such a hard time at the vets office. You would be surprised about the MDR1 knowledge among vets. It is genetic and is one of the tests the ASSA recommends prior to breeding and for CHIC registeration. I have educated almost every vet I have worked with about it. None of them knew what it was. Some right out of school. Now I don't know everything either. New products treatment and discoveries are coming out the all time. But if one of my clients bought me infomation about something, I wouldn't blow them off as know nothings but look into it. Some of the things my client have bought me were total false and some of it was good information and I thank them for it.

Anyway, like with our own doctors you need to be your own advocate. You have the right to ask questions and discuss your dogs health treatment plan with your vet. I always encourage my clients to ask questions and I'm always willing to discuss pro and cons of my treatment plan with them. A good vet doesn't make their money off preventive care but that is where the relationship is built.:smile2:
 
Last edited:
Well, I think if Smudge is mutant/mutant or mutant/normal I am going to order one of those Buster MDR1 tags. You get a lot for 5 dollars. They give you copies of the list of drugs to give your vet to put in your file, a caution sticker for your vet file, the actual tag for the collar, ect. I know that was an Aussie site, but it still had some good information on it.

I don't really believe that my vet has bad intentions, although he seems to vaccinate too much. Maybe he thought it was some kind of crazy, worthless test. It's just I know I am not the only one in my area testing my dog for MDR1, but maybe I was the only person who took my test kit to the vet. I just wanted the element of surprise with the swabbing, because Smudge gives me lip (literally! :eek2:) when I mess with him and he doesn't like it.

When I do Fluffy's test later on down the road I will do it by myself. I swear you could drop a house on her paw and she would sit there and wag her tail. :uhoh:
 
Jessica, I'm sorry you had such a hard time at the vets office. You would be surprised about the MDR1 knowledge among vets. It is genetic and is one of the tests the ASSA recommends prior to breeding and for CHIC registeration. I have educated almost every vet I have worked with about it. None of them knew what it was. Some right out of school. Now I don't know everything either. New products treatment and discoveries are coming out the all time. But if one of my clients bought me infomation about something, I wouldn't blow them off as know nothings but look into it. Some of the things my client have bought me were total false and some of it was good information and I thank them for it.

Anyway, like with our own doctors you need to be your own advocate. You have the right to ask questions and discuss your dogs health treatment plan with your vet. I always encourage my clients to ask questions and I'm always willing to discuss pro and cons of my treatment plan with them. A good vet doesn't make their money off preventive care but the is where the relationship is built.:smile2:



Excellent points Dr. Shelli and I don't think any of us here could say it any better!!
 
Really?! So the one year really is just a scam to get more money after all! :mad:

following up on -=The one year rabies shot does annoy me. I myself find it a gimmick to get people back into the vet's office so they can pump more vaccines $$$$$ into your dog.=

I would answer and explain, trying to point out that the great majority of veterinarians now, on their own initiative and in stark contrast to human physicians with their 22 legally mandated childhood vaccines, give perhaps a fifth of the vaccinations we gave 10-15 years ago, as we now have chosen to use extended protocols and the concepts of core and optional vaccines, because we are well aware and responsive to the concerns of overvaccination. Rhode Island recently changed from a 2 year to a 3 year rabies law, with the full support of the veterinary association.

But, seeing as I am one of the 'stupid morons':smile2: referred to earlier in the thread, no doubt attempts to rebut charges of being a greedy uncaring scam artist will just get me censured once again for not being properly respectful and letting people speak.

So rather than engage in debate, I'll just leave you with a smile....
http://friendsofirony.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129165018837367400.jpg

-Dr. Mac
 
following up on -=The one year rabies shot does annoy me. I myself find it a gimmick to get people back into the vet's office so they can pump more vaccines $$$$$ into your dog.=

I would answer and explain, trying to point out that the great majority of veterinarians now, on their own initiative and in stark contrast to human physicians with their 22 legally mandated childhood vaccines, give perhaps a fifth of the vaccinations we gave 10-15 years ago, as we now have chosen to use extended protocols and the concepts of core and optional vaccines, because we are well aware and responsive to the concerns of overvaccination. Rhode Island recently changed from a 2 year to a 3 year rabies law, with the full support of the veterinary association.

But, seeing as I am one of the 'stupid morons':smile2: referred to earlier in the thread, no doubt attempts to rebut charges of being a greedy uncaring scam artist will just get me censured once again for not being properly respectful and letting people speak.

So rather than engage in debate, I'll just leave you with a smile....
http://friendsofirony.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129165018837367400.jpg

-Dr. Mac


Very well said Dr. Mac! I want to tell you that I have the UTMOST respect for you and Dr. Shelli and wish to apologize for the few who think a bit too high and mighty of themselves. I would venture to say that MOST of us are honored that you and Dr. Shelli would offer excellent, highly educated FREE suggestions to us here on the forum. Unfortunately there a few here who think they know better than anyone and there way is the only way.

Thank you for taking your time to help us once in awhile, I know most of us sincerely appreciate it :wink2:
 
Thanks as always to our wonderful resident vets, Dr. Shelli and Dr. Mac for their thoughts, advice and recommendations. We realize you are at a distance and we can't expect you to diagnose for us via Forum. But rest assured that no one here would ever include you in any category described as "veterinary quackery" or the like and that we ALL are very grateful for your participation and comments!! :yes:
 
But, seeing as I am one of the 'stupid morons':smile2: referred to earlier in the thread, no doubt attempts to rebut charges of being a greedy uncaring scam artist will just get me censured once again for not being properly respectful and letting people speak.
-Dr. Mac


I have a dog with a hereditary condition. I am sorry if I upset anybody by trying to make an honest attempt at trying to keep mange from coming back and attacking my dog. So if a vet knows that pumping vaccines into Smudge could likely cause his mange to come back and they do it anyway...I call 'em like I see 'em.

I'm not trying to start an argument with anybody on vaccines and how much you should or should not give them. This thread was about demodex and MDR1, and treatments for dogs with demodex AND MDR1. I am not attacking anybody, and I did not make this thread with the intentions of attacking anybody.

Also, my exact words were "Second of all, the stupid morons could not keep their story straight about the number of times they dipped him." This was in reference to my old vet, where they didn't know how many times they had dipped Smudge for mange. I'm trying to figure out how you got that sentence and translated it in reference to vaccines and vets in general. Enlighten me? :confused2:
 
Back
Top