Mini & Toy Shelties?

Glad most breeders don't think like this, or we'd have a serious problem. Especially given the differences in expression between dogs and bitches (i.e. a 16" bitch is the genetic equivalent to a 17" dog)

Can you explain what you mean? I'm not a breeder so perhaps I misspoke. It just seemed logical to me if you breed standard to standard you are more likely to get standard.

If that's not true, I stand corrected. But my main point was to stick to the standard - however it is done.

I have to admit as much as I love my big boys....I would love to have one of the European Shelties. Finer boned and on the lower edge of standard. Hauling Bacca's ling and tall body around is hard on my back.
 
I too have read various and conflicting stories about the origins of Shetland Sheepdogs. I have to say that the most plausible and “fitting” story for me, is that they were used to protect and guard against small animals/vermin/birds entering the gardens. When I watch Miko in the backyard – he stands at the top of the garden and surveys for ages. If a crow flies over the yard or if a squirrel comes near, he’s off like a rocket barking his head off to ward off any threats to the yard.

Yes, he does also display some herding behaviours – he herds kids when they’re running around and he nips at heals when he chases us around the house (DS’s favourite game) – but I attribute these behaviours to the fact that up until the 1940’s the odd collie was bred into sheltie lines. I don’t think that shelties themselves were bred to herd.
 
I tend to believe they were an all around farm dog. Doing many jobs helping out on the farm...sheep herding sure were they going to be able to move a flock of 100 single handed like a BC...um no..5 sheep..sure..

as far as bitch size ideally we would like 14-15" bitch...its more common to see a breeder keep an almost 16" dog than a bitch. Dogs should appear masculine; bitches feminine.
 
Can you explain what you mean? I'm not a breeder so perhaps I misspoke. It just seemed logical to me if you breed standard to standard you are more likely to get standard.

Sure. The expression is different. Given the identical set of genes, a dog will be up to 1" taller than a bitch. So a 16" bitch is the equivalent to a 17" dog, and vice versa. So really, to keep "true" to the standard, you might have to consider 12" bitches and 17" dogs, except those aren't in the standard.

Height is determined by entirely too many genes to be able to nail it down with any accuracy. Then add it superior nutrition and other environmental things, and size is a stupidly hard thing to master.

Interestingly enough, bitches will also have worse hips, given identical genes as a dog. I guess this is also true in humans.
 
I have a 16" bitch, and not a single person has ever mistaken her for a dog. But my 16" dog is called "her" all the time. Size isn't really a factor, I think.

Miko is a BIG, "masculine" looking sheltie... but he still always gets "her/she" when we're out in public. I think it's because even the masuline shelties are "pretty" compared to other dogs.
 
Thanks, I just reread the ASSA history again, which seems to be fairly detailed at least from the commencement of American involvement. Would appear that the ~13" size was the standard back then, which when modern diet is added to the equation explains larger size along with more crossing to Collies in the USA.

JLSOhio51, just the other day I saw the smallest dog ever at the park, honestly maybe 5-6" to the top of his head. That dog had everybody laughing because he spent the whole hour plus away from his owners and friends at one end of the park and went evrywhere else, investigating and checking out other dogs. Extremely cute, and astounding in his pluck.
However he is the exception in my experience.

Small dogs were and are bred for certain tasks, like companionship, ratting, etc. Its not right or wrong, it is what it is.
So on one level, if someone can responsibly breed a Toy, I guess its no different.
However I'm wondering if people doing this are actually half as clever as they think they are. The old-timers seemed to have a fairly good idea of how to breed down, based on dog type, motivation etc.
Just taking a Sheltie which is arguably a working dog, and breeding it down, even intelligently with 'runts' that are not defective, seems to be asking for trouble. You are taking what used to be a small-mid sized dog, and reducing his size. Thats it. As you breed them smaller and smaller, you are changing phyiscal attributes, but not mental or motivation.
So these 10" Toys are going to naturally think they are 15-18" dogs when dealing with other dogs, people, animals.
However they are less than 1/2 the size they think they are, and their dealing with others will be impacted negatively.
Size still matters in the animal kingdom, and even though its sometimes funny to watch a small dog with attitude bark at a large dog, I don't know if we can truely say what is going on in their minds.
Breeding a Toy from a larger line just on runts is different than breeding something like a Min-Pin for example, where they bred them down from European Herding and Guard dog stock by including smaller stock such as Italian Greyhounds and Dachshounds which have different motivations.
You don't have a full sized Pinscher living in a tiny body, you have a Pinscher/Greyhound/Dox cross with motivations more suited to its size, and consequently, will not be trying to fulfill some inner motivation that it simply can't due to its size.

This may be less of an issue with Shelties by comparison, however if just breeding Toy Shelties from smaller and smaller runts, I think there is a good chance that they're innately going to continue to try and do whatever the breed instinct is too do, and continually be frustrated at their inability to do it. Which may manifest itself in any number of ways.

Or maybe the breed is resiliant enough to be bred to Toys, and be happy as a curiosity without any issues at all. I'd just hate to hear in the future that many of them are killed because they get stepped on trying to playing ankle-footsie with their owners...



So many things to add.

I'll start with the last article by the retrieverman, he is way off the mark, better to stick with the official histories undertaken by experienced people with extensive research. The question isn't about the role and existence of the Toonies - the questions are around which breeds it contains. His premise is that Toonies were not farm dogs at all but just a toy breed and boy does he twist things up.

Height change. Two reasons why Shelties have gotten bigger - one is the Roughs being bred into them increased the size. This is also partly why British and American sizes differ, because Roughs come in British and American sizes. And we feed them much better now so generally they will get bigger - it's part of nature.

Breeding from runts troubles me. Runts are more likely to have health problems so doesn't that mean you're continually breeding from dogs with potential problems, increasing the risk of problems in your lines.
 
Last edited:
Can you explain what you mean? I'm not a breeder so perhaps I misspoke. It just seemed logical to me if you breed standard to standard you are more likely to get standard.

If that's not true, I stand corrected. But my main point was to stick to the standard - however it is done.

I have to admit as much as I love my big boys....I would love to have one of the European Shelties. Finer boned and on the lower edge of standard. Hauling Bacca's ling and tall body around is hard on my back.

I know nothing about breeding. All I know is that Trax is 18" tall and his brother is 17.5" and both their mother and father are 15" tall. :biggrin2:
 
I know nothing about breeding. All I know is that Trax is 18" tall and his brother is 17.5" and both their mother and father are 15" tall. :biggrin2:

Yeah, but you have to look further back than that.

Think Savvy and Evie. Their mother was 15" tall, Marque is 16+" tall. Savvy is 13 1/4, Evie is 14 3/4, and their littermate is 16+ (a boy). However, when you look behind Marque, his sire was 14 1/2, his grand dam on the other side is 13 1/2. So there is more small than big behind him. Two more of his daughters are 15".

So you have to really look at the big picture on size. This line tends to run small rather than big, which is why it doesn't bother me to breed a big dog. Though his breeder swears he is in size...
 
Shelties, like many of our purebreds, have a limited gene pool. Without going into a lecture on genetics - which while I might understand fairly well I don't feel qualified to speak on - you are always going to get larger shelties and smaller shelties. Genotypically, they are shelties but phenotypically they are either "typey" or not.
Westies were bred for their colour after Malcolm Potolluck (sp) accidently shot his favourite cairn thinking it was a fox. Litters occasionally would have a white puppy, normally culled at birth but MP decided he was going to selectively breed them. Hence the West Highland White Terrier. That was over a hundred years ago but we still see black hairs show up on our little white dogs. I've actually seen pups born with large amounts of black which eventually falls out and the dog becomes white. I've seen dogs with a few black hairs near the armpits etc. that they have their whole lives. The genetic information to colour is still there, diluted for sure but it lives. It's the same for size in shelties.
Breeding small to small won't always beget small but is not good breeding practice. Up here, "mini" shelties from unscrupulous breeders often have a cross to Pomeranians. Personally, I like a sheltie to remain within standard but have met some amazing and lovely larger ones and am currently sitting beside my little 13" - 16lb. grandpuppy. Believe me, she doesn't lack in speed, stamina or health. The first sheltie I ever was closely involved with was the size of an Aussie, the second was a small bi black that herded sheep for her farmer caretaker. I met one a few weeks ago that I thought was a collie bitch but was a registered sheltie male from a well known winning kennel. Nothing about it, including it's head and expression looked like a sheltie but he was gorgeous just the same.
 
Back
Top