Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Montys new kibble

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Darren, Sep 15, 2021.

1. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Darren, Ann's suggestion is excellent to be adding your own grain to the kibble you have found that Monty actually likes...that way he gets the needed grain added to a kibble that otherwise looks good even though it has small amounts of ingredients that are now being questioned.

Also...Correction on the info I previously posted about Forza10. Chewy does now carry their canned food but some of their choices are grain free so careful research on ingredients is important. The kibble I buy for Miley is not grain free, it is their Dermo Active which addresses skin issues as well as being well tolerated for dogs with IBS or IBD...and Chewy's current price for a 22 pound bag is now $85.99...not the $99.00 I had posted.

Trini

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I looked at the Lilly’s Kitchen website Darren and they actually do have a couple dry food options that aren’t grain free. If the store you buy from doesn’t carry them you could ask to see if they could order it. I noticed on their website that you can buy bags as small as 1 kg...a good option when your trying something new or just want to add a different flavour.
    https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/for-...ngle+protein|Pea+free&sz=54&hideFilters=false

3. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Darren,
    Your food choice is going to be a challenge because Monty is so active plus good ingredients and something that he will enjoy eating.
    I felt so bad putting Teddy on his diet and while he gets his exercise I bet Monty gets more. So just becarefull with his portion control so he has enough energy for all your fun activities.I know I played with portion sizes to in Teddy's case to strike a healthy balance between enough and not.I know weight loss was not 1 of Monty's issues and your lucky.I still get the may I have seconds look quite frequently. Good Luck with your search.

4. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Oh man, thanks again everyone for even more great information! I've got so much now to work with and I also didn't even think about that if all else fails I can add my own grain!

Thanks Lisa!!
    I've actually phoned them about 30mins ago and spoke with them about grains, peas and lentils. They were actually really great to talk with and said they have 2 types of kibble with grains that also have NO peas or lentils.
    They are going to send Monty a free bag of each to try so that I don't waste more money if he doesn't like it. They also sent a copy of the ingrediants for me to look at and I think they tick most of the boxes mentioned in the thread (i've put a copy below). With it being the same brand and similar flavor I'm hopefull he will like it.

Screenshot_20210916-144647_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210916-144727_Chrome.jpg

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    LOVE this!!!!! Keep us posted on how our boy feels about his samples! :)

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This sounds like the way every food company should operate. Good for you, Darren, for going to the source and getting information from the people who actually make it. It's important to know, when reading ingredients, that the first five on the list are generally the most important which you can see here because they give you the percentages, which is fantastic.

Once again, Monty is such a lucky boy to have landed in your care!

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Now, that is a company I'd do business with! Super of them to offer you some samples. Those both look like great options and I hope Monty likes one of them. I'd feed my dogs either one of these. Sorry we all made your head spin, it really is overwhelming when all we want to do is have a good quality food for our dogs' health and longevity!!!! Good luck and let us know if Mr. Monty deigns to like one of the new ones!

Just double check the total percentage of protein isn't higher than about 28 percent. This is under the "Analytical Constituents" column (love that name - here, it's "Guaranteed Analysis".

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I read an article about apiaceous vegetables and how you can add these to block the aflotoxins in their body.
    Here’s the audio podcast…it covers several different topics and I believe the aflotoxin info is around 21 minutes but it’d be worth it to listen to the entire podcast. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.mindjampodcast.com/amp/live-aflatoxins-pet-food

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Wow Darren that’s awesome that they’re sending you free samples! I was thinking the same thing, that he might like the other foods seeing as how it’s the same brand.
    Glad I could help! Fingers crossed that Monty enjoys it!

Darren, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Ok, everyone I have a question ❓ I have read that there a few Pro Plan users so this thread got me reading again. In the Pro Plan ingredients I read that peas are an ingredient, is that not and issue? (Please stop my brain going in overload). :)

Darren, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.