Most Users Online

I made hot cross buns here 2 years ago.(from scratch)..I searched every grocery store for currents,but ended up using white raisens.

Well meal time rolled around,and the beautiful crossed iced hot cross buns were there for the taking.I had 12 people here that day for a meal,the only Yankees were my son & I.The rest were southern folk.

I was raised in a devote catholic home,church every day it seemed.And we never ever ate meat on Wednesday & Fridays during Lent.Well you get the picture.

Not a one of the southern folk here would try a hot cross bun,it was as if they had never eaten one.Which probably not~ I ended up giving half to Eric,and darn I ate what I could~

OMG! Totally Catholic here. Tomorrow is NO meat. Still figuring out what to do. Scampi? Linguini and clams? Catfish? Calamari? Maybe I'll just fast and abstain and eat crackers. :uhoh:
 
OMG! Totally Catholic here. Tomorrow is NO meat. Still figuring out what to do. Scampi? Linguini and clams? Catfish? Calamari? Maybe I'll just fast and abstain and eat crackers. :uhoh:

I can remember a good many times when all us kids were home,it was a silent time from 1pm-3pm on Good Friday.Absolutely no TV,no outside activities.we had to sit and "reflect" our blessings.

There were usually a sizeable amount of kids,since I was one of a few foster childen in the family,and times were tough,as we used to get surplus food.So many a Wed.& Friday were were eating Scambled eggs,toast,french toast.No meat what so ever on Good Friday.

We are doing Haddock here,Mac-N-Cheese,cabbage noodles.Home made brownies for dessert.And church to!
 
How could they not eat hot crossed buns, esp home made ones! Boy we love them on this side of the world too, they have been in the stores here since January - which means there are people out there who have been eating them since Jan. Unlike me, sob, who is missing out on my regular good friday breakfast of hot cross buns...

Wished you were closer,I would send you some.I actually had them on my site,but took them off,as obviously it is not a southern thing
 
OMG! Totally Catholic here. Tomorrow is NO meat. Still figuring out what to do. Scampi? Linguini and clams? Catfish? Calamari? Maybe I'll just fast and abstain and eat crackers. :uhoh:

First I would like to say - woohoo this is my 2,000th post!

That's why hot cross buns are so great on Easter Friday - stuff your face with yummy bread products and no meat.
 
Wished you were closer,I would send you some.I actually had them on my site,but took them off,as obviously it is not a southern thing

OMG!!! It's my 3,003 post..I did'nt see that! Congrats Caro on getting 2,000.Only so many tousands more till we catch up on Barb the posting queen!
 
OMG!!! It's my 3,003 post..I did'nt see that! Congrats Caro on getting 2,000.Only so many tousands more till we catch up on Barb the posting queen!

You have got to stop getting up so early in the morning! I do think Barb is slowing down so there is hope yet. Iin fact I noticed she has been missing on the forum for a few days - where are you Barb.
 
Well, I'm catching up with this thread again.

Tried to buy Hot Cross Buns today (its Good Friday today) but none available in the bakery, so had to go to the supermarket and buy some.

Yum, hot cross buns!

We are Church of England here, so no real foodie 'no-no's. Church on Sunday and there will be puppets for the kids and an Easter egg hunt in the rectory garden afterwards.
 
Back
Top