Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Muscle Atrophy

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I don't think so...It's not his ACL or knee as far as anyone can tell. None of the vets (including an orthopedist) though it was. The best they could come up with was a possible pinched nerve (only diagnosable with an MRI). He really does use his leg like a crutch, so I would assume that wouldn't change with a brace. And $500-$1000 is a lot to spend on something you don't really think would help :( I did look at them when I thought it was his ACL, but now I don't think it would be a help at all.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska's currently 12.6 kg - 27.8lbs. My vet said usual dosage is about 5-10mg per kg (Deska was 10.6kg when he first started) twice daily. So I guess the 100mg three times daily was the max. A friend's 28kg (60lb) lab is doing well on 100mg twice daily.

Yea I've got a couple of expensive braces that the vet physio or ortho vet suggested importing - they were a waste. The only 'brace' I use is the little neoprene elbow warmers I home made.

Btw - with my leg deficit the rehab physio had me on wobble boards and step ups.

3. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    How about swimming?

4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    Gavin HATES swimming :( he refused to walk on the underwater treadmill at rehab. The ocean is his bathtub..period!
    He will do hill walks with me, and I have lots of different balance thingies (BOSU, discs, and even fitpaws pods which he hates) so we do those and lots of tripod stands. Step ups would be nice, but Gavin has always jumped up any kind of step :( I do know he has more difficulty jumping even small distances now. i have done step overs (hose laying in the backyard).

He has been on Gabapentin now for 3 days, and he seems perkier. Hard to tell if it is due to the drug or him being less mad at me for leaving for weeks, but I will go to the vet and get more after I run out if I notice a difference.

Caro likes this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    Gavin was on twice daily 100mg doses of Gabapentin for a week. definitely less stiff than when I got back. Read it has to be tapered and not quit cold turkey, so once daily doses now. Yesterday went to beach after AM dose, no PM dose. He used the ramp to come up to the bed and sleep with me last night, but is defintely stiffer today. Probably combination of less gabapentin and extra extra activity from the beach. He will be on once daily doses while I am away (he stays at doggie daycare) and I will evaluate when I get back. Will probably try CBD oil once Gabapentin runs out (taking CBD oil affects multiple drugs via their metabolism in the liver, including gabapentin, so taking together is not a simple thing)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018