Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Muscle Atrophy

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin enjoys his walks so much! He gets so depressed if we don't, his mood is so much better with them. I will start off with him in the stroller, and he asks to come out. Sometimes he is more eager to go back in that not. His limp does get worse with activity, and I can tell when he's had enough. But it has not progressively gotten worse over time. Gavin doesn't potter much..he has always been a trotter, moving down to just walking is a challenge enough! As it is, I have to walk slowly to make him walk as he will try and move faster if I let him.

Paths can be tricky, he can slip on leaves and such since the one leg is soo much weaker than the other. Paths help him grip on the weak leg. I try and mix it up with a path at a local park. I originally had him on tramadol for a few weeks with no difference...gabapentin seems to help with the stiffness and we are trying CBD oil instead with similar results.

He can use all his doggie ramps to get up on the bed or his chair. The couch seems to be to hard for him as that ramp isn't gentle enough for him. I am thinking of how to help with that.

I just want to add that Gavin is still pretty spry and not suffering, because I know I sound pretty sad and desperate. He loves to run for short distances and gets all spunky when we do (I won't let him run more than that), as he can off weight from his bad leg.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Hanne, Caro and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So I caved in and bought a doggie wheelchair. Gavin hasn't gotten worse, but he gets so exhausted with just 20-30 minutes of a walk. He LOVES going for walks and I am hoping that a wheelchair will allow him to go on longer walks with me and enjoy them. It will support his weight so he doesn't limp on his bad leg and wear himself out, but he will still walk on all 4's. I will still take him to the beach (without wheels) and take him to the park (without wheels), but this way maybe he can enjoy himself and get outside more.

I wish I had done it sooner...but of all the vets I have seen NONE have mentioned it. No one has given me any advise on how to deal with his limp for the rest of his life, just kind of thrown their hands up when traditional PT didn't help.

Cara Sandler and Ann like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I hope that the wheelchair offers him the ability to get out and enjoy himself, Cindy. You have tried incredibly hard to rehab him, and I'm sure it has helped, but as hard as it is, accepting his limitations and helping him cope may be as good as it gets. I'm ready to get a stroller the minute Brooke might need it, although she is slower on our walks, she can still do 2 - 3 miles and enjoys it. Bless you for being such a good Sheltie mom.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Could you post a picture - I'd love to see it

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cindy, I could not have written a better response to your post than Cindy did! We all are pulling for you and Gavin!

I would have never considered a wheelchair either... but, what a great idea for his current condition. Yes, please do post a picture!

Keep up the great work with Gavin’s mental and physical health needs! You are the best Sheltie mom ever!

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Good for you, Cindy. I have a friend who has a wheelchair for one of her dogs and she says it's a godsend. I hope this gives Gavin the help he needs. It's great if he can still be with you for walks! I would love to see a picture too.