Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Muscle Atrophy

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Gavin enjoys his walks so much! He gets so depressed if we don't, his mood is so much better with them. I will start off with him in the stroller, and he asks to come out. Sometimes he is more eager to go back in that not. His limp does get worse with activity, and I can tell when he's had enough. But it has not progressively gotten worse over time. Gavin doesn't potter much..he has always been a trotter, moving down to just walking is a challenge enough! As it is, I have to walk slowly to make him walk as he will try and move faster if I let him.

Paths can be tricky, he can slip on leaves and such since the one leg is soo much weaker than the other. Paths help him grip on the weak leg. I try and mix it up with a path at a local park. I originally had him on tramadol for a few weeks with no difference...gabapentin seems to help with the stiffness and we are trying CBD oil instead with similar results.

He can use all his doggie ramps to get up on the bed or his chair. The couch seems to be to hard for him as that ramp isn't gentle enough for him. I am thinking of how to help with that.

I just want to add that Gavin is still pretty spry and not suffering, because I know I sound pretty sad and desperate. He loves to run for short distances and gets all spunky when we do (I won't let him run more than that), as he can off weight from his bad leg.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Hanne, Caro and Sharon7 like this.