Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nesco Dehydrator

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Piper's mom, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Dehydrated food actually keeps quite a long time and dehydrating retains more nutrients than canning. Fruits and vegetables can keep for up to a year and meats 2-3 months. The vegetables won't last that long with these guys, I'd rather them have a pepper slice than a dog cookie...I try to feed them as few carbs as possible (they'll probably get 1 sweet potato slice/day when I go back to work). Just like us carbs cause them to gain weight! The meat should last them 2 months, I did ALOT!

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    IMPRESSIVE! I am really bad... when I made sweet potato I gave them 4 a day! They loved them! I will try apple as they love that! Maybe I will try the pork loin. How do you prepare it? How can you slice it really thin?

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    4 a day?:lol:...My guys would love it if I was that generous lol! These are roughly 2 sweet potatoes of mine I dried, I find even one piece (which is 1/2 a full slice as I cut the potato in half before slicing) is too big for them, I break it in half. They'd much rather have a full piece as they LOVE them!
    I'm surprised mine really didn't shrink very much after drying. You can see in picture I did orange pepper and there's almost nothing there lol (Piper doesn't like it...shocker!!!).
    For the pork I just removed all fat and sliced as thin as I could, it was still a bit frozen so that helped me to cut it thinner but if it's too thin it's too brittle afterwards. I dried it a bit on paper towels before drying.
    Best thickness is probably about 1/4" thick when raw so it dries properly and doesn't get too brittle.
    IMG_0020.JPG

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great idea to slice it when it is slightly frozen!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I took the lid off the sealer with the pork loin to give the dogs a treat and man does it ever smell good!
    I've never been a big fan of jerky (think hot rods) but marinaded and then dehydrated...mmmm I could like that!
    I'm jealous of the dogs now!

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    mine would love that pile of sweet potato goodies. I know that they would eat that half slice in no time. they'd prefer full slices please:winkgrin:

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Sending them virtually....now!:razz:

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the puppers appreciate that......
    might have to break down and buy one.................

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    The slicer on my food processor can handle skinny sweet potatoes, so that cuts the prep time in more than half. The pieces come out more like sweet potato chips, so they get 4 a day approx an ounce.
    Few days ago my old round no timer just on/off dehydrator stopped heating (fan still worked) after running all day making the batches of chips. I secretly went HURRAY! now I can get the one Lisa is talking about. But no--I tried it the next day and the stupid thing heated up again. :arghh:
    Guess it shut itself off from overheating. It was 107 outside where I put it (it's tooooo loud for in the house) Heh the Native Americans just used the sun to dry out foods :)

ghggp, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    My old one must be like yours, very loud! This one is so quiet (but still throws off heat of course) I can easily forget it's running. I learned my lesson of not using it outside...attracts rodents, I will only use it in the house.

I think you should get a new one Margi...not real safe if it's overheating is it?;)

ghggp, Calliesmom and Margi like this.