New Sheltie Dad

Yes I did contact the breeder about an hour ago. She was appaled and stated that he must have contracted it with me because her dogs are healthy. I expectd this though. I have a written statement from the DVM explaining incubation periods and the contagiousness of the disease.

Yes parvo is very scary in young puppies. I feel very lucky to have the ability to hospitalize at my work. I'm able to look after him during my night shift and the DVMs there are all very excellent. We caught it very very early due to my knowledge of the symptoms. He was still eating had not yet vomitted and was not dehydrated. He had only had one episode of diarrhea. When I took his temp and it was elevated was when I knew something was amiss and yup it was.

I'm certain he'll make a full recovery he's on IV fluids and has a constant rate of infusion of a number of antibiotics, anti-emetics, and KCL for electrolytes. I'm just a little upset at the lack of compassion not that I expected muc more...I will have to contact the AKC I'm just not sure how I should go about doing it. He did have papers.
 
We're so glad you and Moonshine are on the Forum! More, I'm so happy to hear that he'll recover and, I know, thrive. You'll never hear anyone here scold when a Sheltie steals your heart and you wind up with an unplanned puppy. The way I figure it, the Great Sheltie sent you to Moonshine. :yes:
 
Welcome to you and Moonshine. We're very happy to have you here on the Forum. Your pup is very lucky that you found him and no, you did not make a bad decision in taking him. As a good friend told me once about a sick puppy I paid a high price for: You saved his life. You will never regret that, I promise.

Moonshine is also lucky because you're a knowledgable owner, working as you do at a vet's office. I'm sure you will have lots of words of wisdom for us (and don't think we won't be asking you! :lol: ) I'm so glad that your pup is getting the care he needs and we hope he'll be home with you soon, playful and healthy.

We're here for any support we can give you. Sending prayers and good thoughts for little Moonshine's recovery. And yes, I'd suggest a letter or email to the AKC if your pup has papers. You can find contact information on their website, www.akc.org . If they're not the proper place, they can direct you. People like this give good breeders (of whom there are many) a bad name. Thank you again for your care of this lucky little guy, and please keep us posted on his progress!
 
I'm sure that there will be times when you question your decision to bring home Moonshine, but in your heart, I'm sure you know that you really could not do anything else! She is blessed to have you, and I'm sure as she recovers, you'll find yourself blessed twiceover by having her.

Welcome to the forum! Yey! A vet tech! Free medical advice! Yippee!!! :lol::winkgrin:
 
We're so glad you and Moonshine are on the Forum! More, I'm so happy to hear that he'll recover and, I know, thrive. You'll never hear anyone here scold when a Sheltie steals your heart and you wind up with an unplanned puppy. The way I figure it, the Great Sheltie sent you to Moonshine. :yes:

I so love your way with words, Chris! I just could never say it as elequently! It leaves me NOTHING to say but DITTO!

Welcome to the Sheltienation Moonshine!! Love the name, and will be thinking about you two!
 
Ahhh puppies that choose their owners are just great! They feel the bond before the human does and you are going to have many great days with the little guy in the future.

Good Luck. Keep us posted. Thank you for taking the little guy in AND

Welcome to the Forum.
 
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

I do hope he enjoys living here with me...I've enjoyed every minute of him. I just got home from work and got an update on him as I was there.

Moonshine is doing excellent...he's allowed to eat because he is keeping everything down. He's eating small meals every few hours with a wolfish appetite. He was a little lethargic today, but each of the doctors there told me he was doing well. He should get to come home later on today, or tomorrow. I'm thinking I will keep him hospitalized until Sunday to give him the best shot.

I was very suprised at how well he's doing. He's only had one episode of diarrhea still...and is eating and drinking with no nausea. He does have to have an e-collar seeing as he wants to chew out the IV line however.

As soon as he's fully recovered and we get vaccines into him and get all of that settled he'll be starting formal basic obediance...and we'll be moving onto agility. So we're looking forward to a lot of fun after this episode of not so fun...hopefully he'll enjoy it as much as my Aussies always did. :winkgrin:
 
It's absolutely heartening to know that Moonshine is improving. I'm glad you're keeping him under observation and care for a few days more -- but I sure hope you get the employee discount! :lol:
 
Back
Top