New Sheltie Dad

The harsh reality: If you had not adopted Moonshine I don't think he'd still be among the living. You're a great person to see the love, and also give the care!
 
Phebe's first fecal test came back positive for giardia. She didn't exhibit any symptoms, but it took 2 rounds of panacur to get rid of it.
 
Welcome Moonshine and dad. What a wonderful man you are to of adopted him and that you are giving him such good care. Good thing you do work at a vets office. We can't wait to see pics of the fellow once he is home. I believe you were in the right place at the right time!!
 
Wow....double whammy for poor Moonshine.

I bet you are drinking a lot of Moonshine over this ordeal :lol:

Thanks again for being so great with him. He truly is lucky that he fell into the right hands, and has a bright future.

Please keep us updated. I look forward to seeing Moonshine's progress.
 
Moonshine came home today!

Well he's still having diarrhea at this point, but he had not vomited in 36 hours. And the episodes of diarrhea were not accompanied by dehydration.

On getting him home his appetite is very good. He doesn't like the bland diet at all but I mixed cottage cheese in and he ate really really well. He's barking up a storm in his crate which I haven't heard him do at all in the past four days. He's also jumping...which is driving me bonkers because he's hit his head twice when I come into the room.

I'm thinking the diarrhea (and praying) is due to the giardia at this point. I would rather have him have diarrhea than be vomiting anyday...at least with diarrhea I can still get nurtion into him. He's far from 100 percent, but he's much happier here at home. He's on oral meds now that he can keep things down so we'll see how this goes. I'm hoping he doesn't start to vomit or lose hydration otherwise we'll be looking at a few more days hospitalization but at this point he's doing good!

If all goes well in 1 week he'll be back to get his first set of much overdue vaccines.
 
Wonderful news on Moonshine, now that he is home he will improve by leaps and bounds. I would think some rice and chicken would be very yummy to him.
 
That is great news, so glad to hear the little guy is home! And yes, the diarrhea is almost certainly due to the Giardia. If he can tolerate it, try a little canned pumpkin in with his food--just about a spoonful. It won't hurt him and can help the runs. Thanks for the update and give Moonshine a pat for us! :biggrin2:
 
Good stuff Moonshine!
Not to worry he's hitting his head... I think despite the look, Shelties heads are much harder than we think, lol
Also sounds like he has found his Sheltie voice, lol
Good to hear :)
 
Back
Top