Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Not a good week...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    You know what Gloria, Caro may be onto something. My kitty Mario got very ill at about age 7, and after many tests and $$$ (and he was so thin from vomiting and not eating) we figured out he has IBS and cannot eat chicken. Once we got him eating again (he subsisted on the calorie paste for a few days that I wiped on the roof of his mouth), we switched him to tuna and he has been fine ever since. It was such a stressful time.

I think it's definitely worth changing his protein to check it out. My dogs all eat Wellness Lamb and Barley - it has some fish meal in it, no chicken protein but it does have some chicken fat. But there are lots of foods out there to check out. Hope he is feeling better.

ghggp likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor Beau and poor You - It is so terrible when our dogs are bad
    - hope low fat food and a gastrointestinal diet will help him.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So sorry Beau was feeling ill. Hope he is feeling better soon. No help on the gastritis - sorry - never heard of it before your post.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I am so sorry, Gloria. Annie Laurie had a bout of this -- Cerenia is miraculous!!

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations and insights. I told Beau how many of you care about his well being. He is feeling better today! No loose stool or vomiting thank goodness.

I will certainly stay away from chicken from now on! I will be certainly more focused on what he gets for treats too! Forgot about the slippery elm Lisa! I bought it but completely forgot about it!

Cerenia is really great! Laddie was on it. Is is really expensive but certainly works wonders. I even saw Beau drinking from the water bowl. Yesterday he would not drink so I got a large syringe and fed him from it!

Now I want will be hyper sensitive to IBD and make sure we don’t fall in to that trap. Thanks Caro for the warning.

My hope is he will get stronger each day! He is still a bit slow but brighter fo sure!

I will get the Secralfate. Just wondering if the vet needs to prescribe. Should have asked the doctor for SubQ! Will next time for sure!

Again, thanks all for the moral support! Beau says thanks too!

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Glad Beau is on the mend. You are a good mom :)

ghggp, Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so glad Beau is feeling better! It's so frightening for us when they get sick suddenly, I'm glad the vet was able to diagnose it and get Beau on the mend. Hopefully he'll be running around the yard with his BFF Liam soon (Liam must be lost with Beau not feeling up to par!).

ghggp likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, Liam pesters Beau wanting him to play. I have to manage him so Beau does not get overwhelmed.

Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Hope Beau is feeling better today, Gloria?

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for asking Sharon...
    He still is a little subdued. Baron and Liam are right by his side to lend moral support!
    beau-liam-baron.jpg

RikyR, Ann, corbinam and 4 others like this.