Novartis temporarily suspends production of Interceptor, Sentinel

Went to vetsourse to order my interceptor. Guess what? There isn't any! "Aaaak!" So, I ordered Heartgard. Will go back to interceptor next time .... if it is back.
 
I just got a notice from Costco saying that Novartis is recalling the Excederin due to there possibly being pills or pill fragments of a different item within the bottle so please return it for a full refund.

Just wanted to post this so everyone knew about that side of the Novartis issue. So just double check your (dog) pills look the same, if they don't, don't give it to them and maybe call novartis.
 
Well, luckily my vet had it in stock. I usually use Sentinel, but due to costs, decided to go to Interceptor. I bought a year's worth for both my dogs (this bill is going to hurt). I figure, why not. Then I don't have to worry about it.

I hope everyone is finding what they need.
 
I was just scouring the net last week trying to find some Interceptor, however like everyone else not finding much luck.
Luckily, my vet had some Sentinel so I bit the bullet and got it from them. Of course I then find http://www.equine-mega-store.com/category26.ehtml who are in Oz, and their price and shipping ($6) seems pretty decent/equal to 1800petmeds.

Would have bought the next size up and used a pill cutter to basically get 12 months for the normal 6 month price.

Odd though, the vet receptionist told me that I shouldn't do that because the medicine is not thoroughly mixed and you couldn't be sure if you were getting the proper amount of both ingredients in each pil half.

For some reason, I'm thinking thats a load of bull. And not only because I've worked at Novartis and other medical manf's and seen how they mix stuff before unitizing it. It should be obvious when you look at the pill and see its all uniform, which sort of implies they are mixing both medications together as a liquid before running them through the pill machine.
Jeez, I know a vet has too meet overhead, etc, however when you resort to outright lying to me, I'm done with you.

One site said they were expecting re-supply on Mar 4. If that falls through and still is unavailable, they seem to have it in stock, at least from going almost all the way through the checkout process.
 
Odd though, the vet receptionist told me that I shouldn't do that because the medicine is not thoroughly mixed and you couldn't be sure if you were getting the proper amount of both ingredients in each pil half.

For some reason, I'm thinking thats a load of bull. And not only because I've worked at Novartis and other medical manf's and seen how they mix stuff before unitizing it. It should be obvious when you look at the pill and see its all uniform, which sort of implies they are mixing both medications together as a liquid before running them through the pill machine.
Jeez, I know a vet has too meet overhead, etc, however when you resort to outright lying to me, I'm done with you.

.

I have always been told that this is true of heartgard because it is not in a pill form but a carrier medium. Never heard it mentioned form anything else.
 
The vet tech is probably right.

Drugs that can be split have a line on them. Drugs that shouldn't be split dont have a line. This goes for human meds as well. I'm sure some meds require exact dosing, and if the manufacturer can't guarantee that in a split pill, then they indicate that by not putting a line on it.
 
I found limited Interceptor and unlimitied supplies of Sentinel at this site:
www.NationalPetPharmacy.com . Free shipping too.

Sentinel is, of course, more expensive, but I bought a 12-pack anyway for Pixie who has seizure issues and I have to be very careful with any medication.

My vet recommended Revolution if the Novartis products don't come back. He said even though it doesn't say it kills ticks, it paralyzes them which has the same effect, and also kills fleas. So you eliminate the need for an additional flea/tick repellent. I'm going to try it after I run out of Interceptor.
 
One of my dog lists had posted that novartis released a statement either yesterday or the day before that they have a stockpile of interceptor that they will be releasing so there shouldnt be a shortage issue...let me see if I can find the press release..
 
Back
Top