Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Omnivore diet thinking lately

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by VallejoSheltie, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you for the link
    Celery is a bit tricky an is not okay because if your dog
    does not chew celery properly, then it can be harsh
    to the dog's digestive system and cause upset stomach with vomiting.

I really wonder if it is healthy
    for the dog with all these experiments :confused2:

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I also feed liver, heart (they need the taurine) and any other organ meat I can find (kidney, green tripe etc) they really need the vitamins and minerals they get from the organ meat if your not adding supplements. Technically heart is a muscle so your not really limited in the amount you can feed.
    I'll also feed smelts or salmon but I always buy frozen, with fish if it's fresh it must be frozen for a minimum of a few days to kill any organisms that could be in it.
    Great job on getting that weight down.

3. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Just an update, Boots was down to 42# a week or two ago.
    I've got a cheap $35 food processor, so celery/etc is all ground rather fine.

Switched up my routine a bit which may not be cheaper but is a lot more convenient and won't require me to buy an additional freezer for stocking.
    1$- US-sourced Stir-fry or Country-style veggies, frozen, 16 0z = 2x 8 oz. (60 cal) serving.
    $0.65- Canada-sourced Aldi's Heart & Tail Cat food 5.5 oz = 1x 5.5 oz (150-170 cal) serving
    $4- US-Sourced Chicken livers, 2#, just picked it up

Current testing is 8 oz veggies and half can of wet, 2x/day which works out to $1.65/day.
    Since veggies are frozen they process pretty fast and there doesn't seem to be as much mess.
    Canine's Choice Representatives reception has been fantastic to say the least.

Big plus is this saves a lot of time picking through veggies at the store, and the requirement to process them all within a day or two, and then having to having to meatball them and find freezer space which is currently non-existent.
    Downside is that its a $1.65/day, however even the part Scottish-side of myself is currently fine with that since its still a 5 min. job to prep both meals on my morning commute to my SOHO and frankly he's worth it to be getting something that I think could be better than Acana or Origin... might be wrong.
    Additionally, he gets 3x Costco Omega-3's (3 x 250mg EPA/DHA) and 1x Costco Glucosamin HCI/MSM (750mg/750mg)

Will go with this for the next month and see.
    I will still probably give him a Chicken thigh and leg once or twice a week for calcium and the chewing.
    I know I can probably get this down a fair bit with a small freezer and once the farmer's markets open and I can really do 30-40# of veggies at a time which would pay for the freezer after a year or two.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Piper's mom likes this.
  4. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Hate to necro, however I saw the thread and figured someone at some time might be interested in a diet thats higher than normal in veg but not crazy vegetarian. Its only 1 data point, so YMMV.

Recap of Boots:
    Height:~19 - 20" at the withersis
    Weight: ~42# with acceptable rib definition.
    Recent physical was good, full blood panel was very good.

Diet has normally been a quality kibble like Orijen, Acana, or Taste of the Wild for early and mid-life, with the last several years being primarily frozen veg and raw, cooked or canned meat.
    Its is currently somewhere along these line:
    Mixed veggies from Aldi's/BJ's ground in a food processor. The work required for that is minimal for the improved digestibility and bio-availability of nutrients.
    Various meats either leftovers, or some form of bulk purchase, with regular Aldi's wet cat food with added Taurine.
    Taurine may be unnecessary, however since he loves the mostly meat cat food, it can't hurt.
    Fish oil (Costco) ~800mg Omega3, OK quality.
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin~750mg
    Not a lot of bones anymore since he's lost a few more teeth. He should be getting enough calcium...
    Milk- An ounce or two to a cup of water. He loves seeing me pour it from the jug into a glass, add filtered water...

He generally gets at least a full cup of veg every day, and another of meat in some form or another, eggs, ...
    I will usually give him something meaty if I think my wife has been too stingy in that regard.

From some reading below, I am going to be upping his protein intake a bit to 125% of average adult recommendation due to being elderly in which metabolic efficiency is reduced. Also quality level is going to go up.
    Also thinking an egg a day because its a complete protein, and has about the highest bioavailability/utilization of all proteins. The fact that he loves them and they come in a conveniently affordable 12-pack doesn't hurt.
    We'll keep on eye on his blood tests.

https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/companion/our-services/nutrition-support-service/basic-calorie-calculator
    https://thesciencedog.com/2021/03/23/protein-are-we-feeding-too-much/
    https://labdoor.com/review/kirkland-signature-omega-3-fish-oil-concentrate

Piper's mom likes this.