Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Omnivore diet thinking lately

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by VallejoSheltie, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I've been giving my dogs veggies I mix up for 15 years and they all seems to love it. I add it to their raw mix.
    Speaking of raw mixes, I got some Blue Ridge Beef products from a lady out here in AZ but I see they have distributors in NY (as well as many other states). The products seem to be of good quality. While I'm always leery of anything store bought since I can't REALLY know whats in it, not everyone has the time to make their own dog food. At $2.00 lb it wasn't too bad. The selection of meat/bone mixes is quite extensive.
    When Koko got too arthritic to walk much, and Fillion hurt his shoulder, their weight just kept creeping up and up with lack of exercise. I have them down to 5 oz. raw a day, plus cookies to make them on less than 8 oz a day and Fil lost 1.5lb, so its slooowwly coming off.
    I had to remind myself to calculate ideal weight and feed that amount no matter how big a pain in the butt it was for me LOL

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree that you have to stick to it no matter how sweet they look at you! I'm also finding that convenience isn't very convenient when it comes to pre ground meats! I've been buying a 44 pound ground chicken/bone mix and I really think that's why Piper has kept gaining weight (too much fat). From now on if it doesn't list fat content I'm not buying it, or I'll just grind it myself (bought a meat grinder). Here I've been blaming my mom on giving them too many cookies lol. I need to start varying the meat I feed them, especially now that I can grind it myself.

3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I always pull off skin and fat on chicken the dogs get, but I can see how the fat could just be ground up in there...again its a matter of not knowing whats really in that retail raw.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    We've spoken to our vet about grain free and raw diets at considerable length. She doesn't believe that dogs *need* to be grain free and suggested if we wanted to give him a high quality gray free kibble that we supplement some kind of grain so we make him oatmeal.

We also give him pumpkin which is a vegetable with a lot of great fiber (he got neutered the other day and they told us he might not poop for a few days but has had no interruption in his pooping - which I attribute to the fantastic canned pumpkin)

Still, we've been giving him 1/2 kibble and 1/2 freeze dried raw food. We don't do this necessarily because we think he should eat only meat but because we like the fact that the meat is human grade and traceable so we know where it's coming from and it's quality (no roadkill, diseased livestock, or anything of that nature)

Honestly, with the oatmeal, the pumpkin, and everything else he is doing great. So I don't think it's necessary to be totally grain free or veggie free. Even the treats we give him have grains in them. Our vet said it helps them digest all that protein.

Ann and Hanne like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    When you get into discussions about raw diets (especially with vets) you can get a million different opinions. My beloved Dr. Randy (God rest his soul) was on board with natural feeding, and had participated in two wolf studies--one Mexican grey, one timber.
    Next vet I went to after his passing was so violently against it and had no knowledge of it that I could tell (via questioning her) I went looking for someone else!
    In the end you have to do research and decide what works for your dog.
    My guys get cookies I bake made from oat flour I grind up from oatmeal that has pumpkin in it and other fun stuff. They get dehydrated sweet potato chips I make. And veggies in their mix. And they are doing great. I try to stay away from corn and wheat, but even an occasional Milkbone from a friend won't kill them any more than our indulging in bad snacks now and then will hurt us, IMHO.

HikerDog and Piper's mom like this.