Pancreatitis...

First, let me thank all of you for your compassion, support and prayers! I know of no other website that has a community of sheltie lovers that can rally to help others in need. God bless you all!

I have not heard from the vet this morning but the doctor said he will call around 11:00 am this morning. They did explain that if they did not call it is because he is doing ok.

The only changes I have made to my boy routine is going to a higher quality food. They all needed to lose weight. Now that they reached their target weight I changed food. I went on line this morning to do a comparison of fat in the food. They never get table scraps! I will get chicken and rice today so I have it on hand when he gets home.

Life's Abundance grain free. They have been on this food for 2 months
Crude Fat (min) 19.0%

Life's Abundance. All life stages. Changed to this - 1 month
Crude Fat (Min) 16.0%

Science Diet Metabolic. They were on this food for 2 years
Crude Fat (Min) 12.3%

Life's Abundance makes a weight loss formula. Thinking of switching to this.
Crude Fat (Min) 11.5%

I wonder if this increased fat in his diet caused this. It is the only change I made other than adding probiotics

If i move to a lower fat diet I am concerned that they will lose too much weight and lose muscle tone and mass. I guess this is a huge learning curve.

Thanks again for all the prayers and support. I am confident I will get a better report this morning and will update as soon as I can.
 
I am sorry to hear about the health issues Chance and Laddie have been going through. I am keeping them both in my puppy prayers.

I have also had to deal with pancreatitis twice with one of my shelties and I understand how scary it can be.... and how you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the best diet to feed. I came across an article online that has some useful information.... Whole Food Journal article on Pancreatitis

It mentions not to feed a raw diet while a dog is recovering from pancreatitis. Overcooking rice will make it more digestible. It also mentions feeding smaller amounts more often until the pancreas has had time to recover completely. It is an interesting article worth taking a look at. The information about diet is on p. 4.

I hope Laddie is feeling better and that he will be back home with you soon.

Page
 
A day late!

I have been offline all weekend and just now saw this! I am so sorry for Laddie and hope he gets better soon. First Chance and now Laddie?! I just can't believe it. They are both in my thoughts and prayers. I know Chance is on the mend now but keep us updated on how Laddie is doing. :hugs
 
update...

The vet called this morning and is still concerned over Laddie's blood panel. The blood is still showing signs of yellow and the blood is too viscous. He wants him on IV fluids for another day. He mentioned that with the yellow nature of his blood, he is surprised his eyes and gums are not as yellow. He thinks that is a good sign.

However, he recommends a ultrasound to identify what may be going on with his liver. Possibility of a tumor on his liver but too early and not enough information to make that definitive call. Laddie still refuses food. He said Laddie seems alert. I explained Laddie is my most high strung and scared and nervous sheltie and might not eat for that reason. He said that he may let him come home on Tuesday so I can try to feed him.

I slept horribly last night, my eyes are puffy from crying, my nerves are a mess. I know my hypoglycemia is impacted as I am not eating as frequently as I should and that causes severe mood swings.

Nothing more to report yet... Trying to stay positive.

G
 
I am so sorry to hear that Laddie is still having problems and his diagnosis is uncertain. I can't imagine what you're going through. I'd be a complete mess. Keeping positive thoughts for you and sending prayers for Laddie. Hang in there...sending you hugs!! :hugs
 
Thank you so very much for this article!!!
It is wonderful and provides a framework that is easy to follow and understand!

I know this posting will help others that encounter this problem.

-----------

The article above stated the following about probiotics and pancreatitis...

Probiotics, however, are not recommended; a recent human study showed an increased death rate for patients with severe acute pancreatitis when probiotics were administered, possibly due to reduced blood flow to the small intestine
 
update...

The vet called this morning and is still concerned over Laddie's blood panel. The blood is still showing signs of yellow and the blood is too viscous. He wants him on IV fluids for another day. He mentioned that with the yellow nature of his blood, he is surprised his eyes and gums are not as yellow. He thinks that is a good sign.

However, he recommends a ultrasound to identify what may be going on with his liver. Possibility of a tumor on his liver but too early and not enough information to make that definitive call. Laddie still refuses food. He said Laddie seems alert. I explained Laddie is my most high strung and scared and nervous sheltie and might not eat for that reason. He said that he may let him come home on Tuesday so I can try to feed him.

I slept horribly last night, my eyes are puffy from crying, my nerves are a mess. I know my hypoglycemia is impacted as I am not eating as frequently as I should and that causes severe mood swings.

Nothing more to report yet... Trying to stay positive.

G

Highly understandable considering, but TRY hard to take care of you despite it all. NO sense getting sick too, ya know But do what you can to make sure you aren't falling apart. If Laddie is reactive in strange environments, I would push to bring him home so he isn't stressed out more. Hang in there, I know this is brutal for y'all. But all of us are hoping and praying for a good report!!!!!
 
-----------

The article above stated the following about probiotics and pancreatitis...

Probiotics, however, are not recommended; a recent human study showed an increased death rate for patients with severe acute pancreatitis when probiotics were administered, possibly due to reduced blood flow to the small intestine

Thanks for posting this about the probiotics. I give them to mine every day. Good to know.
 
Back
Top