Paws and cold weather!

Darci a picture of the coat is posted below. It’s lovely and should serve well this winter.
I ended up ordering a Kurgo jacket. It should be here sometime today. Coincidentally, we also went with the purple. (y)

she seems to like the snow like Watson does but she’s definitely getting chilled. I think the coat was a good call especially since it’s only going to get colder.
 
I ended up ordering a Kurgo jacket. It should be here sometime today. Coincidentally, we also went with the purple. (y)

she seems to like the snow like Watson does but she’s definitely getting chilled. I think the coat was a good call especially since it’s only going to get colder.

Cooper still hasn’t seen snow, but it will be here soon! lol. Purple is my Granddaughter’s favorite color. :)
 
We haven't done a coat for Brodie. He's a November baby and made it through our ice and snow last year. I never walked him during the winter because of the stuff they use on our roads. I can't imagine NOT walking him now, he has so much energy even with our walks. I do plan on getting him booties to try out though....
 
how old is Cooper?

her coat is a smidge big but she will definitely grow into it. Probably sooner rather than later since the vet said she was a little skinny and had me increase her food. View attachment 15137

cooper will be 9 months on the 28th of this month. He was the biggest pup in the litter...his breeder called him Hoss!! lol. 3 of the litter had to be bottle fed, we think Coop might have been the reason why. :)
 
I’m glad I found this thread! I’ve always trimmed Watson’s paws but he was a year and a half old before I had to worry about him in the snow.


What is this wax or salve you guys put on their paws? Watson usually just goes in the snowy driveway and he is pretty low energy, alway has been even though he LOVES the snow. I’m not sure if Miss Roxy is going to need longer walks on the road.

Also, do you guys put coats on them in the very cold? It’s supposed to be 11*F next week and Roxy has a naked puppy belly.

I made this recipe (I didn't make the full batch) and it worked great and super easy to make. I trust Rodney Habib, all his recipes are very dog friendly. I also love the gift giving ideas, I might make a few extra this year.

https://www.planetpaws.ca/2016/12/13/1300/
 
Cooper’s coat just arrived. I haven’t got the strap and belly flap done properly yet, but gives you an idea of how they fit. Here is the funny part, we got an email from the company when we ordered asking us to remeasure as the measurements seemed large for a Sheltie. :) We had measured everything according to their instructions he is just a bit light in the weight department, but that will change. It has a wind proof / waterproof shell and Microfleece Lining.

View media item 7148
That's a very nice coat! I love how long it is...trying to fit a coat on a Sheltie can be hard. They have such a long back most coats are too short!
 
Have you tried the paw wax? My issue is the stuff they put down on our roads. We already missed 2 days of walks while waiting for Amazon to arrive with these.... he seemed fine with them, wax might be easier - not sure. I'd try it though. Nothing like trying to put booties on a wiggly, squirmy pupper who is just so excited to see you after all those hours away for bedtime in his kennel!
View media item 7158
 
Back
Top