Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Prescription food

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Hannah, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    I'm so sorry to hear about your rescue Brad. Thanks for the link. Honey can be picky with dry food too, so great to know there is a canned version available as well.

Ggomah, thanks for sharing your good experiences with SD I/d too... I've had no experience at all of prescription diets!

Thanks for your kind thoughts Sullivan, it means a lot :smile2:

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    One of my boys had a FCE(spinal Stoke) july 1. up until this past week he was on mixed hills in with his grain and pumpkin and his prednisone. HE LOVED IT! Yes the ingredients are not the greatest, but I have to say having a few dogs who needed the Science diet canned for various illnesses, it works...

3. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Thanks Linda and Sheltiez4evr for the feedback. It sounds really worthwhile. Great that the dogs love it too!

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Hannah,

Although I had never been a fan of prescription diets, in truth they are the only reason my little Pixie is still alive with us today. She was a rescue who has had repeated bouts of pancreatitis, kidney infections, and 4 years ago was dx'd with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Initially she was on Hill's R/D which is low fat and low protein...because both fat and high protein are serious negatives for dogs with IBD.

Two weeks ago, due to rapidly failing health and obvious severe abdominal pain post mealtime, she was switched to RC Hypoallergenic which is "pre-digested" so that the dog's body doesn't id the protein as protein. The response has been nothing short of amazing...all post meal abdominal pain is totally gone and she is passing normal stools for the first time. We are still waiting on the results of her liver biopsy and won't know if cancer (gastrointestinal lymphoma) is in the mix until we get those results (hopefully this week). But her body has had an almost instant 100% positive reaction to going on the RC Hypoallergenic diet. This diet is expensive...$4.21 a can (Pixie is 11 pounds and eats one can per day divided into 3 meals)...but the comfort it has brought to our little lass is well worth any price.

So, if your vet is recommending a prescription diet I would definitely vote to give it a try...and if one doesn't work there are others that might.

Hope you find something that works well for your little Honey!

Trini

5. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    Thanks Trini, I've been following your thread about little Pixie. I'm so glad you've had such great results with the RC Hypoallergenic. I actually ordered in the RC Gastrointestinal Low Fat kibble (I'm in a small town and have to order things in). I'm wondering now if I should have gone with the Hypoallergenic, but I'm thinking of getting some canned food too so I might try some canned Hypoallergenic. I agree, not cheap but if it's working then it's well worth it.

I'll be praying for good biopsy results for Pixie :hugs

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm sorry your Honey is having such a rough go of it, but glad you're starting to get some answers. Good luck.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

:hide:hide

Getting ready to duck and dodge here but I'm going to throw some ideas out there for you to consider.

1) Vets are not nutrionists and they get super high margins selling Hills and Royal Canin prescription diets. They are motivated to sell you this high margin, expensive food. But my own vet admitted that she honestly didn't know that to do with my Bacca with elevated liver counts.

2) Diagnosis of "colitisis" seems to be on the increase, based on my experience at my pet store. More and more of my pet parents are reporting that there dogs apparently have this. Personally, I think this might be the "disease du jour". Dogs get into stuff and eat whatever and that becomes colitis? Hmmmm! No that's just a dog that needs monitoring of his chewing habits and his eating. Is this increase a result of poor breeding? What is causing this increase in diagnosis???

3) Food sensitivities are on the increase. Why is that? Are we better than our parents were at being proactive when our pups aren't feeling too good. Or are we too anal? If our pups have a couple of rounds of diahhrea, are we too quick to try to treat, rather than nature take its course???

Despite my questions, I do believe in ensuring your dog has a balanced and perhaps supplemented diet with probiotics and enzymes, etc. There are multitude of products to support digestive issues that are recommendable. That being said, I don't use any of these products myself. I kinda prefer to let nature take its course...and if the food is not agreeing, try a different protein or LID diet.

Just saying....

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
  9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

There is a lot behind this including increased in allergen reactine with humans. Peanut allergies on the rise, for example.

But I've still puzzling about the root causes. Genectic? It has to be if people and pets are being born without the autoimmunue systems to combat these allergies. ??????

10. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    By the theory, it's not a lack of immune system, but an immune system designed to fight parasites with nothing to do.....