Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

PRP injections

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by shelee, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I believe Bits ran around $600.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Bits and Layla were both 10. They were both sedated during the procedure (Layla was also having elbow surgery). I'd ask your vet. I don't think 11 is too late, but I don't know Missy's general health. We think it was worth every cent! Without it, Layla would have had to stop serving at Walter Reed and certainly couldn't have gone to Paris twice! And I firmly believe Bitsy could not have lived past 12 without it.

shelee, Sharon7, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well worth it if it provides the relief hoped for! Thanks for answering...
    We learn so much on SN! Such a GREAT resource.

Sharon7 likes this.
  4. shelee

shelee Forums Novice

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks Chris for your reply. Missy's vet said he had only had one client have PRP injections and it did not help. The vet that would do the PRP injection (that my vet referred us to) said he has had mixed results. So I am not quite sure what route I should go. I did find a acupuncturist 25 miles away that told me she has had excellent results treating dogs with arthritis so Missy had a appointment for next Thursday. I will try that first and take it from there.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    If you're anywhere near Baltimore, I know the world's leading canine orthopedist.

6. shelee

shelee Forums Novice

Jan 31, 2017
    I am a ways away from Baltimore. Rural Wisconsin. The University of Wisconsin teaching vet school is fairly close, but I am not a fan.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've had accupuncture done on several of my dogs, most for arthritis or Lyme disease-related issues, with great success. You have to keep up with it and get it done regularly at first, but it really did help mine. My vet who does acupuncture also does chiropractic adjustments and she's done almost all of my dogs. She adjusts them after surgery and before shows or when they're just ouchy. That can really help too! Good luck, I hope acupuncture helps Missy.

shelee likes this.
  8. shelee

shelee Forums Novice

Jan 31, 2017
    Ann, thanks for responding! I do not know anyone that has acupuncture on their dog either so I am happy to hear you had good results. I had planned on doing 4 treatments and then evaluating whether I think it is helping or not. Nothing has helped so far so I am hopeful I will find something outside of pain meds that help.

Ann likes this.