Ready for Fun Run?

I just remembered the one snarky thing that happened. If anyone followed my CGC thread from March, you may remember the rude poodle lady. Well, she was there with her Papillon puppy - who was cute. She tried to lecture me on jump heights. I had Duncan jumping 8" when his height dictates 12" because he's a year and a month old. Apparently this is not conservative enough for her. She said, "A dog shouldn't jump higher than his ankle until the growth plates are closed." That's like 1.5 inches. What? Duncan has put on 1/2 inch in the last 7 months. His last vet visit, the vet verified that he was done and he felt fine. Am I injuring my Duncan by letting him jump?

Another thing was someone mentioned that I should watch Duncan's ankles with Flyball. They stated it helpfully. I didn't mind. No snarkiness intended, just concern for the welfare of a dog. Everyone should be like that. :yes:
 
I just remembered the one snarky thing that happened. If anyone followed my CGC thread from March, you may remember the rude poodle lady. Well, she was there with her Papillon puppy - who was cute. She tried to lecture me on jump heights. I had Duncan jumping 8" when his height dictates 12" because he's a year and a month old. Apparently this is not conservative enough for her. She said, "A dog shouldn't jump higher than his ankle until the growth plates are closed." That's like 1.5 inches. What? Duncan has put on 1/2 inch in the last 7 months. His last vet visit, the vet verified that he was done and he felt fine. Am I injuring my Duncan by letting him jump?

Another thing was someone mentioned that I should watch Duncan's ankles with Flyball. They stated it helpfully. I didn't mind. No snarkiness intended, just concern for the welfare of a dog. Everyone should be like that. :yes:
I always heard 1 year for Shelties but then Sca is a leaping fool so there was not a lot I had to say in it. He has zero 'jumps' but that ignores frisbee, leaping from the motorhome, zooming off the couch, attacking mirror Sca and a gazillion other excuses he had to launch himself. I think I would ignore poodle lady on everything. Or be snarky back..... "wow that is a gorgeous Papillon I have one and you could do wonders with yours with a little grooming effort" :biggrin2:
 
I always heard 1 year for Shelties but then Sca is a leaping fool so there was not a lot I had to say in it. He has zero 'jumps' but that ignores frisbee, leaping from the motorhome, zooming off the couch, attacking mirror Sca and a gazillion other excuses he had to launch himself. I think I would ignore poodle lady on everything. Or be snarky back..... "wow that is a gorgeous Papillon I have one and you could do wonders with yours with a little grooming effort" :biggrin2:

You are so nice. I needed a little smile today. And Pierre says thank you for thinking he is beautiful. The lady has met Pierre, so KNOWS he is beautiful. :yes: Also, her Pap was a Phalene, which means ears down. It's like... what's the point of a Papillon without the huge, quirky ears?

I am continuing to jump Duncan at 8 inches at practice and at or lower at home. We do 6 inches at Flyball practice. He really enjoys it and is very athletic. I check him daily with a nightly massage to feel for any tender spots and to loosen him up. Pierre gets a massage, too. Abbie sometimes gets one and sometimes is in a female prerogative mood. Plus, I don't kill my dogs at practice. I'm more about frequent, short sessions - like 2 fifteen minute stints a day. Grumble.
 
I jumped Diva at 4in until a yr and 8ins until a year and a half. Like Sca,she is a jumping fool and I would be hard pressed to not have her jump above carpus high. She does that running in a straight line playing in the yard. Only way I could would be to wrap her in bubble wrap and stick her in a kennel for a year and half. I think the benefit of muscle tone and exercise out weights a romp in the yard. As long as you are do short sessions ,not jumping on slippery or hard surfaces, and using common sense he should be fine.

The rule was made for people who comes into classes and to prove their"8 IG puppy can jump 24in and doesn't want to lower the jump because they have done it at home.(heard that more than a few times over the years) or repeatedly jumps they 4 month old pup at full height 250x a hour trying to get it ready to compete the day its old enough(I know more than a few obsessive top obedience types that do this:( so I'm sure there would be some in agility) In other words people with no common sense.
 
Last edited:
I jumped Diva at 4in until a yr and 8ins until a year and a half. Like Sca,she is a jumping fool and I would be hard pressed to not have her jump above carpus high. She does that running in a straight line playing in the yard. Only way I could would be to wrap her in bubble wrap and stick her in a kennel for a year and half. I think the benefit of muscle tone and exercise out weights a romp in the yard. As long as you are do short sessions ,not jumping on slippery or hard surfaces, and using common sense he should be fine.

The rule was made for people who comes into classes and to prove their"8 IG puppy can jump 24in and doesn't want to lower the jump because they have done it at home.(heard that more than a few times over the years) or repeatedly jumps they 4 month old pup at full height 250x a hour trying to get it ready to compete the day its old enough(I know more than a few obsessive top obedience types that do this:( so I'm sure there would be some in agility) In other words people with no common sense.

I think that is a fantastic plan. I try my best to be moderate in practice. It is hard to end a really awesome practice (like 10 wonderful minutes of great tunnels or rear crosses or something), but I don't feel like I go overboard with agility. In fact, I haven't really practiced any in like two weeks outside of class because we are trying to focus on flyball. You would think he'd forget things, but in class Duncan is as focused and great as ever. Of course, I avoid the weaves like the plague. I may regret that in a few months. :biggrin2:

There are crazy agility people who run their dogs like mad. If I had all the equipment at home, I might be tempted to be one of them. Or if I had a BC who was bouncing off the walls and needed some sort of outlet or I just might go crazy. Lots of 'ifs.' But I feel like I'm doing the best for my Duncan using my knowledge, intuition, and just listening to my pup.
 
Back
Top