Retained baby teeth

All ready for her dental surgery and the vet sent us back home. Said come back in 3 weeks and we'll see how the canines are going and if she'll need them taken out. Or he said we could get the front ones done today - as they are pushing the adult ones back a little. I don't have the money for 2 srugeries at the moment so wait it is.
 
Now the breeder says if I want to show her I should get the teeth out now. So I guess it's back to the vet again.
In the meantime I'm going to try corn on the cob - only thing I can think of that might get her chewing at the front.
 
A friend of mine had a puppy with a retained tooth, and the vet told her to play tug with the puppy to get the tooth to come out. I wouldn't want to do that though, because it sounds painful! And I don't want the puppy to associate tugging with pain.
 
Yea the breeder told me to give bones or pieces of chewing meat to ensure the other baby teeth come out. But those front 2 incisors are too high.

Corn on the cob - another fail, chewed with the back teeth. She loved it though.
 
My sheltie girl had retained all four of the baby canines and the adult ones all out at 5,5 months. Plus the lower canines were growing very narrow and straight up at the gums.
She had an operation because they said otherwise she will need to have her adult canines pulled out or cut in half so they don't grow in the gums. She had lots of stitches but she recovered well. Only problem is that she absolutely hates the tables and vets now. We went at a dog show later on and she freaked out when the man judge came to the table. At the show as a 5 months old puppy she was so cool and licked the judge. He said it was rare to meet such a sweet and open sheltie. Her fear after the operation is my only regret because in the other scenario she would have needed many more scary operations..
 
Also i think it is genetic that they don't change the teeth alone. Some of her siblings had the exact same problem. The roots of those baby canines were just too strong. The others changed them alone without much effort. My first spitz had to have baby teeth removed as well but ended in a bad bite. My second spitz lost all the puppy teeth by playing with me with the hol ee roller ball. And her bite is correct. Also no problems with teeth changing in her line until now.
 
My sheltie girl had retained all four of the baby canines and the adult ones all out at 5,5 months. Plus the lower canines were growing very narrow and straight up at the gums.
She had an operation because they said otherwise she will need to have her adult canines pulled out or cut in half so they don't grow in the gums. She had lots of stitches but she recovered well. Only problem is that she absolutely hates the tables and vets now. We went at a dog show later on and she freaked out when the man judge came to the table. At the show as a 5 months old puppy she was so cool and licked the judge. He said it was rare to meet such a sweet and open sheltie. Her fear after the operation is my only regret because in the other scenario she would have needed many more scary operations..

TY that it really helpful. With the current arrangements for Covid they usually go into the vet alone. I did go in with her on Thursday because I thought they were operating. Poor girl shook like a leaf. I worry about her reactions too when shows start, she already be timid due to lack of exposure to crowds. But she won't be doing any shows if we don't fix the teeth. She's got some lower canine issues too, vet didn't mention it but that looks wrong to me. Think it's going to be a lot of work.

Breeder said in 40 years she's never had a dog with retained incisors, even the vet said it's unusual in a long nosed dog. Breeder had occassional canine retained, but none of Kismet's litter have issues nor the litter from a month before with the same sire and sister-dam. Trust me to get the problem dog!
 
I know the feeling Caro! I was actually going to get Piper's lance canines pulled when he was about 8 months old. I'd first seen a specialist regarding braces (it was my first experience with this and my vet suggested it) and she insisted they should be pulled so I'd set a date with our regular vet. The morning of the surgery Piper was all doped up when the vet popped in and said she wanted to check them out one more time as well had her dental tech check them out. She insisted we wait until he was a year old and see where they are then, that the surgery is very painful and it could change his personality. I'm so thankful I listened to her. Considering all he had pulled later (during his neuter) was the 2 insizors I wouldn't have wanted to lose the happy go lucky boy he turned into.
 
Back
Top