Retained baby teeth

Do you think she’s not eating as much because of her teeth, Caro? Maybe try adding in an extra meal like lunch if you don’t feed it now, or canned food. The other possibility is worms. I’d have a fecal checked just in case. Puppies are so prone to them.
 
Do you think she’s not eating as much because of her teeth, Caro? Maybe try adding in an extra meal like lunch if you don’t feed it now, or canned food. The other possibility is worms. I’d have a fecal checked just in case. Puppies are so prone to them.
She's always ravenous. I did cut out her evening meal so she's still on 3 meals a day. Tully is on 4 meals a day as she has to eat immediately before bed or she gets sick. I was getting a fed up with preparing a meal for Della and the pup too (esp as I drag myself out of bed to feed Tully). Kismet's up to date with her worms - I did get the poop checked a week ago though just in case as she did have the runs. She is eating a lot of bird seed and pooping it all out (little bugger).

Is there perhaps something I could add to her diet to increase calories without overdoing it for a puppy? She's on royal canin puppy and gets 1 satchet wet + 3/4 cup dry + 1/2 boiled egg. I tried some greek yogurt but it didn't agree with her, same with a chicken neck.
 
Have you mentioned to her vet about the lack of weight gain Caro? Has she been eating the same amount of food or does she leave some food in her bowl, also is it possible another dog isn't eating some of her food? Just another thought, is it possible she's just not growing right now? I remember taking Piper to the vet because I was concerned he wasn't eating enough...she felt his ribs, asked me a few questions like how much I was feeding him and said he was perfect. I was a worry wart with Piper what with him being my first puppy in 15 years.
 
Checkers' kidney diet has to be higher calories, so they add carbs. I was told to add pasta to her homecooked food. Something small, like orzo or pastina. That should be safe for a puppy, I'd think. You're certainly giving her a good diet and feeding her enough. There are a number of supplements for weight gain but I don't know what you can get there, so maybe adding a bit of cooked pasta might work.

I would talk to your vet as Lisa said though when you see her again. It could be she's just in a growth spurt and her weight hasn't caught up.
 
Have you mentioned to her vet about the lack of weight gain Caro? Has she been eating the same amount of food or does she leave some food in her bowl, also is it possible another dog isn't eating some of her food? Just another thought, is it possible she's just not growing right now? I remember taking Piper to the vet because I was concerned he wasn't eating enough...she felt his ribs, asked me a few questions like how much I was feeding him and said he was perfect. I was a worry wart with Piper what with him being my first puppy in 15 years.

I have asked a vet, he didn't think she was underweight. But given her lack of growth as well I think I'm right. I'm used to having a light dogs for dog sports. And actually the vet's Toller looked overweight to me, and he started agility with her!

When we went to show dog training on Wed night Kismet looked emaciated compared to the others!

I also weighed Tully at the same time - she was 6kg and her specialist wants her at 7.4kg so she's very underweight, and I know she is too thin. The general vet said he thought Tully's weight was fine! I know the IMS said a lot of vets are not good at assessing the weight of dogs without visual cues (so in dogs with lots of fur) - he said you should check the spine (and shoulder blades) on coated dogs, and if that sticks out the dog is underweight.

Thanks Ann, I can easily add pasta (I only found out what orzo was this week), Kismet will love that. She's definitely eating heaps and I'd prefer to add calories than just double her usual food.

I wish she would have another growth spurt, not sure she'll make size now.
 
Back
Top