Sheltie TV - Agility Edition Part 2

I love watching these vids...thanks for posting...i would love to see a live event!!!! It looks like a good work out for the owner/trainer as well.

One question i have tho.... the flat platform??? what are they supposed to be doing there?? do they just have to stay there for a few seconds?
 
I really enjoyed your videos. Edan looks like he's having a good time.

Is agility a timed event? Are you competing for accuracy and time against other dogs?

Also, what's the football game? Is that just supposed to be a distraction for he dog?
 
Last edited:
I love watching these vids...thanks for posting...i would love to see a live event!!!! It looks like a good work out for the owner/trainer as well.

One question i have tho.... the flat platform??? what are they supposed to be doing there?? do they just have to stay there for a few seconds?

The "flat platform" is the Table obstacle. In most venues, you need to sit or down the dog (judge tells you wish during the briefing before allowing people to walk the course) on the table for a 5 second count before moving to the next obstacle. In TDAA the judge can ask for a sit, down or stand stay on the Table.

The Table can be one of the harder obstacles for the dog. You are running around with an excited dog then you are suddenly asking them to STOP in the middle of the course. (Sliding off the table because the dog can't stop its forward motion is a common fault, by the way.)

Is agility a timed event? Are you competing for accuracy and time against other dogs?

Also, what's the football game? Is that just supposed to be a distraction for he dog?

Yes, its a timed event. For the most part it is you and your dog versus the clock; the goal being to complete the course under the Standard Course Time (SCT) for your jump height and experience level. (Larger dogs get a shorter SCT; same with higher level dogs.)

In some of the games, however, you need to accumulate a minimum number of points to qualify. (The Copycat game is a good example of this.) Time is used as a tie breaker. You still a maximum time on course before being penalized.

As for the Football game... here's the general write up describing the game from our Premium:
Yes there really is a toy football you play this game with!!

The point of this game is to run the course but at different times perform the football. The team can either kick the ball through the tire or the frame of the tire for a 10 second bonus or throw the ball for a 5 second bonus or ignore the ball for a 5 second penalty. A missed contact, dropped bar, or an off course is a 5 point fault. A failure to perform is a 20 point fault.

The team is allowed to down or sit their dogs before the handler performs the
football. THE PERFORMANCE MUST BE PREFORMED BEHIND THE CONTAINMENT LINE. The football must go through the tire or the frame of the tire before the dog goes through the tire or no bonus will be given. If the football does not go
through the tire or the frame of the tire then no points will be given as well.
A standard course time will be given with the hope of everyone trying to throw the football through the tire.

The game is scored faults plus your time, then minus bonuses.

You must be under standard course time to qualify.

Our judge also provided the option to do 2 jumping jacks and yell "Touchdown" for a 5 second bonus instead of throwing the ball because she knew some dogs could be reactive to the balls so she wanted to give everyone a fair chance to earn bonus points. (You folks ALMOST got to see this on tape instead of me throwing the ball but tossing the ball wasn't as bad as I feared... and I can't really throw well.)

Honestly, yes, I think the balls are supposed to be a distraction for the dog to test the handler's control over the dog's natural instinct to play with the toy. One of the dogs actually picked up one of the footballs and ran the rest of the course with it in his mouth. (Don't worry, they were just Nerf mini-footballs.) This was definitely one game where Edan's indifference to toys worked in my favor. :lol:
 
Last edited:
Yes, its a timed event. For the most part it is you and your dog versus the clock; the goal being to complete the course under the Standard Course Time (SCT) for your jump height and experience level. (Larger dogs get a shorter SCT; same with higher level dogs.)

In some of the games, however, you need to accumulate a minimum number of points to qualify. (The Copycat game is a good example of this.) Time is used as a tie breaker. You still a maximum time on course before being penalized.

Ok I see. So basically there is a set time for the each course and you have to complete the run in that time or less?

So you don't have to be the fastest dog to get a Q? you just have to complete the course in the set time frame?

Do they award a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place for fastest times?
 
Ok I see. So basically there is a set time for the each course and you have to complete the run in that time or less?

At the most basic level, yes, that is correct.

So you don't have to be the fastest dog to get a Q? you just have to complete the course in the set time frame?

Correct, you can Q and not place 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. You would see this happen at larger trials. (The reverse is also true - you can place but not Q.)

In SOME venues, and at some of the higher levels of competition, you need Wins (1st place) as well as Q's in order to work toward a title. (For example - in TDAA, in order to receive the TAM (Teacup Master Agility Dog) or TMAG (Teacup Master Agility Games Dog) titles you need 10 Qs and at least 3 of those need to be 1st place finishes. Completing both TAM and TMAG earns you the TACh (Teacup Agility Champion) title.

Do they award a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place for fastest times?

As you can see from directly above, yes, they do award a 1st through 4th place - at least in the venues I compete in. I can't speak for those I don't participate in.

In some cases, in order to earn a title, you need wins, 1st place finish, in conjunction with a Q. (You don't want a Champion dog who can't finish in 1st place within his class basically.)

Awards (Q's and placements) are given for each jump height within a class. That means you'll have a 1st - 4th place dog for, using Teacup for example, 4, 8, 12, and 16 inch dogs for each class. (A class is a Standard run or a Game.)
 
Thanks a lot for the info Sheri! You really helped me understand agility better. I won't jack your thread any further.
 
Edan is so cute. Congrats on a great weekend.

*Fluffs* Thank you. *winks*

Really enjoyed watching your vid. Edan does a beautiful weave, so many handlers, even at Crufts, have to guide their dogs through the weaves, but Edan clearly knows what he is doing.

Of course I do. Imma sheltie! *smiles and wags*

Can I ask how old is he and how long you have been training? (sorry, I am so nosy!)

I'm 23 and a half and I've been training since I was like 8. It's been a long time. I'm nosy too! *sniff, sniff, sniffs*

Congratulations on getting your qualifications :yes:

Thank you! *sits proudly*

As labgirl said, he definitely knows what he is doing.

Yep! I do! Now I just gotta work on training Mom so she doesn't get in my way. :D *happy tail wags*

Congratulations again on a very successful weekend.

Edan definitely is in tune with you "What next, mom?" It's so cute!

*giggles* It's definitely a "What's next Mom?" I'm never sure where she's gonna want me to go next and those tunnels are dark and scary and the jumps are sooooo alluring. :D
 
Last edited:
I'm 23 and a half and I've been training since I was like 8. It's been a long time. I'm nosy too! *sniff, sniff, sniffs*

Translating dog years to human years there pup? :smile2:

*giggles* It's definitely a "What's next Mom?" I'm never sure where she's gonna want me to go next and those tunnels are dark and scary and the jumps are sooooo alluring. :D

Never sure, usually I'm ahead of you because you won't run fast for me in a trial like you will in practice. :(
 
Last edited:
Loved the videos, Silaria. Edan surely does seem to enjoy being out there with you; and what a good boy ! I'm not sure that I understand the football game, though......
 
Back
Top