shelties and chickens?

They do Melissa. My sister had a rooster named Alan - he would sit on the window ledge outside and look in.

They are unigue each one, just like another animal.
 
I needed a smile today and those two pictures did it for me. Almost makes me want to get Tinsel a feathered friend.
 
Hate to say this, but I had 3 shelties, and several chicken inside a 6' fence. One of the chickens flew over the fence while I wasn't home, and the shelties plucked all the feathers off. I had to kill it myself. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Dayle
 
My Mozart plays well with the chicken. He is 4 months old and the chickens are about 2 months old. I've been told by a farmer friend that has dog herding his chickens and ducks. He said to watch the initial interaction. If the dog sniffs and turns away from the chicken it's a good start....problem arise if the dog displays prolonged interest in the sniffing.
Mozart being a puppy, loves to have someone play with him so the chickens were always his favourite. He would do his play bow dance and chickens would hop around him. He will also help herd them if asked. However, Mozart is very scared of our ducks. The ducks are also 4 months old but being Peking Ducks they are enormous. As soon as they flap their wings Mozart would dart the other way. :lol:
 
My two shelties love being out with the chickens. I normally hatch about 300-500 a year since I show them and Keiko and Nero love when I let them out in the yard and the integrate themselves into the flock. One time my tri boy even caught a hawk by its wing that was trying to catch one of the cockerels and scared him enough that he never came back!

620334_10151077871811380_400056917_o.jpg
 
We are planning on getting chickens this spring. I am super excited about it and to watch the interaction with my Sheltie girls.
 
I have 7 hens, used to have 8, the GSD pup we was fostering killed 1 of the chicks. I think she was trying to play with her and broke her neck :( My 5 shelties on the other hand are completely fine with the chickens, and our flemish giant rabbit that has free run of the yard. Belle herds the chickens back into the yard when they occasionally fly over the fence into the neighbors yard.
 
CNS

Did I read this right, You show Chickens? I never herd such a thing that just made me laugh along with the rest of the thread
 
Yep I show them. Black, Blue, Splash, and Black Breasted Red are the varieties and the breed is Rosecomb Bantam. You show them entirely on conformation and feather condition. There is some amount of training involved to make the birds pose when someone walks up to their cage and the judges take every bird out and go over them. Shows can have as few as a few hundred birds to more than 15,000 birds depending on the location. Here is a shot of a medium sized show (4,000 birds) in Ohio.

http://www.ohionational.org/images/ShowHall2011.JPG
 
Back
Top