Shots for your Shelties

It's not "just because" to me. It's based on SCIENTIFIC research and statistics and hours spent researching the documented results that (repeated) vaccines have had on animals in terms of their immune system and other areas as well. I feel that repeatedly vaccinating my dog, even when they have proven antibodies to fight said disease off which will be longer than the three year requirement, is unjust and therefor I don't see the need to follow the rule. Just because it's a law, doesn't meant I'm going to make my animals risk suffering. An unjust law is no law at all.

And the no reported rabies case comment was in regards to when the law originated, there had been no outbreaks reported in several years leading up to that.

The originally question has been answered and people have made their views. Some people have learned, which is awesome. But the subject can probably be closed now as we've all made our points pretty clear! :)


You're still coming across critical to those don't agree with your position.." Some people have learned, which is awesome". Pretty much every post you have made about the subject has mainly criticized those who don't agree with your evidence. Which by the way it predominantly very biased!

Anyway, I think it's okay to have a healthy debate over all the angles..:smile2:
 
Scientists never make very good advocates because they are compelled to see both sides of an issue and 'argue against themselves.' :smile2:
This is a problem on the internet, which favors agenda greatly over rationality, and allows people to cut and paste part of an argument and say 'see- even he agrees and argues my side!'
In this case, as in most 'absolutists are always wrong'. While I may bristle at marymrumfelt's tone, I understand what she is saying , and to a certain extent agree.
It has been said that the period from 1970-2000 will be known as that anomalous period when veterinarians had the archaic idea to give all dogs annual vaccinations for every disease. There were good reasons for this - veterinary hospitals in the 60s were full of dogs dying the horrible death of distemper, there was a saying that if you got feline panleukopenia in your hospital the best thing to do was to burn it down and build another. It was extremely contagious , and the first sign of cat distemper was often a dead cat.
These situations no longer exist, as largely neither does rabies, due to intensive and rigorous vaccination.
(You're welcome. :smile2:)
However, in retrospect, yes, we WERE overvaccinating, we know that now. And while we have largely policed ourselves there is NO DOUBT that the activities of anti-vaccination advocates have done a great deal to give that correction momentum.
(Aside- there was quite a scandal in the 1960s that swine veterinarians used political clout to continue hog cholera vaccination programs after they were no longer indicated. This sort of thing is what we are accused of doing. As has been stated above, small animal veterinary organizations generally support extended vaccine schedules, as does the AVMA and its committees.)

On the other hand, when I see Megansmom agonizing over the 'terrible decision' of whether to get puppy shots for rabies and distemper at the same time, with advocates telling her that 'everyone knows' that is dangerous, i just have to shake my head and say 'Oh for Pete's sake. Why are we alarming people and causing such anxiety over nothing?'

So, yes, we DO need people to be skeptical, and to argue for, even if they don't know they are doing it 'evidence based medicine'. Marymrumfelt's argument that we overvaccinate for rabies as a profit generator for veterinarians is worth discussion, as long as the discussion is constructive rather than emotional.There is a saying in business, and medicine, that if you are doing anything the same way you were doing it two years ago you had better take a fresh look. I have no problem with discussing the issues raised in the anti-vaccination article recently submitted- your doctor should be able, and willing to discuss why and how they do what they do. That particular article was simply so agenda driven that its facts were inarguably incorrect, that was my problem. - Dr. Mac
 
You're still coming across critical to those don't agree with your position.." Some people have learned, which is awesome". Pretty much every post you have made about the subject has mainly criticized those who don't agree with your evidence. Which by the way it predominantly very biased!

Anyway, I think it's okay to have a healthy debate over all the angles..:smile2:

It's not about not agreeing with Me, Susan. These studies on immune deficiency being affect by vaccinations done by HARVARD students prove this. I'm not just pulling things out of no where. I tend to believe science and facts over some group of people who profit off it. Medicine is a business here in the US and until we don't have a FOR profit medical system, nothing will get better -- for us or animals. I mean, come on. We live in a place where its legal to not list ingredients found in your dog food on the bag and use chemicals proven to hurt humans. The people controlling these .laws about food/vaccines could care less about your animals health and sadly we forget that and follow their laws... I only follow just laws that dont hurt the people (dogs are ppl too).


Now we all love our dogs and all wants what is best and use different things to determjne whats best and thats our right to do so. Im I'm no way putting someome who.vaccinayes yearly down. as most people havent looked at research articles and studies amd things that are done on the non-profit side like I have. I'm very conscientious about the food I buy and vary rarely go the grocery stores and I do a lot of other uncoventional things because I tend to question things a lit more than the average person. It would be easier to be a go with the flow guy bc there is a lot to be pissed about in all realms of life...so end of thread, on my part, and any more comments can be semt to my inbox.
 
It's not about not agreeing with Me, Susan. These studies on immune deficiency being affect by vaccinations done by HARVARD students prove this. I'm not just pulling things out of no where. I tend to believe science and facts over some group of people who profit off it. Medicine is a business here in the US and until we don't have a FOR profit medical system, nothing will get better -- for us or animals. I mean, come on. We live in a place where its legal to not list ingredients found in your dog food on the bag and use chemicals proven to hurt humans. The people controlling these .laws about food/vaccines could care less about your animals health and sadly we forget that and follow their laws... I only follow just laws that dont hurt the people (dogs are ppl too).


Now we all love our dogs and all wants what is best and use different things to determjne whats best and thats our right to do so. Im I'm no way putting someome who.vaccinayes yearly down. as most people havent looked at research articles and studies amd things that are done on the non-profit side like I have. I'm very conscientious about the food I buy and vary rarely go the grocery stores and I do a lot of other uncoventional things because I tend to question things a lit more than the average person. It would be easier to be a go with the flow guy bc there is a lot to be pissed about in all realms of life...so end of thread, on my part, and any more comments can be semt to my inbox.

I do not judge your statements above and would venture most of here are very similar in that we take our pets health very seriously. I am not a go with the flow kind of person either, but I do NOT become critical of someone who does things differently than I do. You do....

Okay, okay, I respect your opinions just ask you respect mine :biggrin2:!!
 
The people controlling these .laws about food/vaccines could care less about your animals health and sadly we forget that and follow their laws...

Yes, when confronted with a line like that I would agree it is time for me to just quietly shake my head and take my leave of the thread as well. -Dr. Mac
 
So, yes, we DO need people to be skeptical, and to argue for, even if they don't know they are doing it 'evidence based medicine'. Marymrumfelt's argument that we overvaccinate for rabies as a profit generator for veterinarians is worth discussion, as long as the discussion is constructive rather than emotional.There is a saying in business, and medicine, that if you are doing anything the same way you were doing it two years ago you had better take a fresh look.

Thank-you Dr. Mac.

With that being said............

Please, let's keep the discussion moving forward in a constructive manner.

In my experience, once someone brings emotions into the discussion and makes personal attacks on those that do not agree with their opinions, that person's agenda and/or opinion is disregarded. Please keep that in mind when you debate.
 
Thank-you Dr. Mac.

With that being said............

Please, let's keep the discussion moving forward in a constructive manner.

In my experience, once someone brings emotions into the discussion and makes personal attacks on those that do not agree with their opinions, that person's agenda and/or opinion is disregarded. Please keep that in mind when you debate.


You are right...thank you! :yes:
 
Max to booster or not?

Max a five year old rescue ( but know his breeder) had a pancreatitus attack in novemeber, doing better but also has sludge in gall bladder, had a yeast infection hopefully ending soon, still scratching, shaking his head and chewing feet. Oh andmhe was on steriod for a yearmor so for his allergies! Now knowing all this, he has his license renewal this month which requires a booster. Although max shys away from other dogs on our walk on the boardwalk we still have cats passing through our yard. Do I get him a booster?
 
Max a five year old rescue ( but know his breeder) had a pancreatitus attack in novemeber, doing better but also has sludge in gall bladder, had a yeast infection hopefully ending soon, still scratching, shaking his head and chewing feet. Oh andmhe was on steriod for a yearmor so for his allergies! Now knowing all this, he has his license renewal this month which requires a booster. Although max shys away from other dogs on our walk on the boardwalk we still have cats passing through our yard. Do I get him a booster?

The legal answer is yes, unless your state has a health waiver, which I bet they don't.

BTW: allergies and a yeast infection? It's a food problem.
 
Max

What should i feed him. Beefbwith vegs and chicken with string beans? Doesn't like his grain free kibble ( fish)
 
Back
Top