should i reglue ears please see pic

There are two problems you are trying to correct:

1) The tip of the ear, and
2) The overall set of the ear

For some dogs, the set is fine, it just needs tipping. That would be Indy. He's ears do tip, but not all the time. He has quite thick leather. When he is alert, they prick up.

For other dogs, as in Bacca's case, his ears are tipped (and then some), but the set is all wrong. He has very fine leather, and his ears break too low and too far apart....hence his hound ears.

Bacca would have benefited by more bracing between the ears, and less worry about the tip itself.

That's part of the reason for taking out the glue every few weeks and leave it out for a few days so you can see how the ears are shaping and make adjustments accordingly.

But ultimately, do what you are comfortable with. If you find working the ears too much, and you're not planning on show, it's perfectly ok to give it up.

One interesting side note: Of all the breeds out there, Sheltie's seem to have the biggest issue when it comes to ears. Most other breeds, the ears generally seem to be fairly consistent, from my layman's point of view. Sheltie ears are all over the map. All shapes, thickness, size, set.

One of these days, I'm going to build a portfolio of all the Sheltie ear "variations" just to see how diverse they are. Now wouldn't that be a great coffee table book! :lol:
 
used the wig glue with Cranberry- stopped around 7 mos. His ears will prick when he looks up but when I get his attention, pretty nice tip - I think :winkgrin:
your pup looks really cute in your pic.
 
thanks everyone.. yeah i am going to stick with it. I really want them tipped. I just wondered how you know if their ears are set right already and know there is no need for it? or if you just do it no matter what and never take a chance. The hair extention glue is working great..

Barb, that sounds like a great coffee table book for sheltie lovers all over the world. So would a book of them all dressed up for various occations with those looks on their little faces that say," you are lucky its in my nature to love you so much" LOL
 
I just wondered how you know if their ears are set right already and know there is no need for it? or if you just do it no matter what and never take a chance.

I don't think there's any way to know when the ears are set. I also think the majority of breeders do it no matter what. They don't want to take any chances with a potential show dog.

Bailey's ears were taped until she was 1 years old. She now has perfectly tipped ears. About a month after I took out the tape, her ears went prick and would only tip occasionally or when she was looking down. I was a little disappointed. All that taping for nothing. Then all of sudden the tips just dropped and stayed tipped. Bailey has such a small face, so I think she looks so much better with tipped ears.
 
thanks everyone.. yeah i am going to stick with it. I really want them tipped. I just wondered how you know if their ears are set right already and know there is no need for it? or if you just do it no matter what and never take a chance. The hair extention glue is working great..

There's really no telling when they are set. Just keep it up until a certain point (a year) and then hope for the best.

I took Lexi's tape out when she was 7 months old, and realized that her ears were starting to tip way too low. So, I took the tape out in hopes that they would lift back up. They did, and I didn't put tape in again.
 
Angel is my first sheltie, we got her as a rescue in 2004, all other dogs before her have been large breed dogs, mainly weimeraners and malamutes. Anyway, her ears tip and hmmmm I'd rather they didn't I think they are cute when they are upright and perky. I never realized that the tipped ears were a desirable trait.

Kimberly
 
interesting thread.. Belle's ears started to go up when she was teething and the breeder didn't do anything about it. (so she told me) anyway, we got her 2 days after her first birthday. I immediately used speed sew to glue her ears with the hope that they might tip on their own eventually but probably it is too late..

used to have that Sheltie Talk book, is it still available? how does antiphlogistine (spelling?) work?
 
Angel is my first sheltie, we got her as a rescue in 2004, all other dogs before her have been large breed dogs, mainly weimeraners and malamutes. Anyway, her ears tip and hmmmm I'd rather they didn't I think they are cute when they are upright and perky. I never realized that the tipped ears were a desirable trait.

Kimberly

lol, i love the looks of it, but there is a lot of work to it, lol
and I didn't care but Toffee has one of each :)
LOL
 
interesting thread.. Belle's ears started to go up when she was teething and the breeder didn't do anything about it. (so she told me) anyway, we got her 2 days after her first birthday. I immediately used speed sew to glue her ears with the hope that they might tip on their own eventually but probably it is too late..

used to have that Sheltie Talk book, is it still available? how does antiphlogistine (spelling?) work?

new one is available: http://www.sheltietalk.net/prod01.htm
 
Back
Top