sleeping on the bed at night

Thanks for all the replies, all great suggestions! I did a trial last night and he stayed on the bed all night. He seems very mature for his young age (of course he acts like a silly puppy most of the time, it's the little things I notice). He was a very good boy and had a very good sleep on the bed (was sleeping on his back with his hind legs spread wide:ROFLMAO:)...I think I will add a small stool (thanks Corbinam for the suggestion) and I'll teach him how to use it. He's certainly big enough to jump off the bed (my bed isn't super high) and he jumps out of the car on his own.
I was the same with my last dog mimiretz, she was on the bed with me from 7 weeks and never had an accident on the bed but that was a long time ago and I had way more energy then (for getting up every 2 hours lol).
I must say if Finnie continues as he is now he will far surpass Piper in terms of his maturity and housebreaking! Piper was still having the occasional accident even at a year! My opinion of males versus females is changing all the time!
 
Lucky and Lil' Lady both slept in our bed. Bad thing was each took a foot of my hub and slept on them. To be truthful we
loved being near them. Do it all over again.
 
Poor Deska - I made him sleep in the dining room alone as a puppy, he was hard to toilet train. When Tully came along they ended up in the bedroom - mainly because Tully kept escaping and coming in. Deska never gets on the bed though, he sleeps next to the bed by choice. Tully was next to the bed until I got a cat, being the boss of the cat she decided if the cat was on the bed so was she.

I din't let them in my bedroom unless I was home until they were over 1yr old. Tully did get in one time as an adolescent and peed on my pillow! I didn't find it until I got into bed that night - blah.
 
Go figure, as they say, never say never!

Last night when we all went to bed Beau popped up on the bed. This is only the second time he did that. The first was the night that I lost Logan. I know he felt I needed comfort.
 
More important to me is the jumping off the bed. Elbows are fragile, and puppies need to wait until their bones develop before putting impact pressure o them. If you want the puppy on the bed, I recommend training him to use stairs first and insisting that he use them.
 
LADDIE will be three next month. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with a pen of any kind from day one. He could jump on or over most anything he wished from day one. Strong as an ox. He will jump in bed with me late at night but is usually there when I get ready for bed. Mama makes him get off so she can lie down. Comes to the bed in the morning to wake me so he can go out. He opens the door to come back in.
HIS HONOR THE CHIP is another story. He loves to get in bed with me. He has such a heavy coat the bed isn't comfortable for him unless it is very cool in the bedroom. Chip prefers our bathroom. Both lie next to the bed at night. Chip will be five in January. Time flies!!!!!
 
LADDIE will be three next month. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with a pen of any kind from day one. He could jump on or over most anything he wished from day one. Strong as an ox. He will jump in bed with me late at night but is usually there when I get ready for bed. Mama makes him get off so she can lie down. Comes to the bed in the morning to wake me so he can go out. He opens the door to come back in.
HIS HONOR THE CHIP is another story. He loves to get in bed with me. He has such a heavy coat the bed isn't comfortable for him unless it is very cool in the bedroom. Chip prefers our bathroom. Both lie next to the bed at night. Chip will be five in January. Time flies!!!!!


Wow....3 already??? Time does fly! I remember you posting how big Laddie was getting and now already 3 years old!

Just the other morning I awoke to Finnie and Piper laying side by side at the head of the bed staring at me...I turned over and there they were:ROFLMAO:!
Needless to say I have major issues with dog hair on the bed...I try to get them to stay away from the pillows but they're so nice and soft:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Finnie has no qualms about walking over the pillows :gaah!
On the plus side (or not lol) Finnie has learned to jump on and off the bed. And quite the cuddler as well...has to be right beside me which of course makes Piper quite jealous so I then have both of them fighting for the best spot beside me lol...lucky me :ROFLMAO:.
 
Gavin gets too hot for the bed. I get some cuddles at bedtime and then off down the bedside ramp he goes with motion sensor lights to guide him. I have a pretty large ramp system set up to make it as easy as possible for him. When he was younger, he used to jump up on the foot of the bed around 3AM (from an ottoman). Now that he is older, He will occasionally use the ramp to come up if it isn't too hot for him, and I am hoping he does that more often as it gets colder. I miss puppy snuggles...
 
Beau is allowed on my bed after I go to bed, he first goes in his crate at night and stays there until my bedtime. With all his headstrong issues he has NEVER had an accident in the house since the day we got him at just over 7 weeks. Like everything else he does, Beau must have decided going potty outside was the thing to do--he went the first time I put him on the grass and has been perfect ever since, so that was never an issue. Potty training was a snap, take him out every few hours, that was it.
I was interested to see the comment on not allowing on the bed due to "challenging" behaviors. I wonder if maybe Beau isn't given too much latitude for his personality. I never let my previous dogs on my bed or on the sofas--I would cuddle with them on the floor instead, or sit on a bean bag next to them. But my boys let Beau on the furniture since day 1 (we have now restricted him to certain sofas for housekeeping reasons) and their beds. Hum. Beau so much wants to be the boss, he is sure he knows better :) Of course in other ways he is perfect.
 
Back
Top