Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Slipping on hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Happy to report Gavin seem to be back to normal. His holiday at boarding has done him no harm! Happy Pup to be allowed on the couch and chair. The bed still requires me to help him up and down. I get woken up every night for that assist! Little paws on my bed asking to come up are just to cute to deny.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Awesome news on Gavin!
    You must be over the moon happy Cindy! Nothing nicer than cuddling in bed!

3. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

The cuteness of those paws is evaporating...Can be several times a night as he wants on/off/on/off....
    Although I love that he wants to be on the bed with me :) He refuses to use the dog stairs I bought. So I might glue carpet on an old coffee table for him to jump onto the bed from.

Hanne likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Sad to report I was to quick to allow him back on the couch and try ramps. His limp is back/never fully healed. We went to the vet and got him some carprofen (rimadyl). He has been on strict room rest for 1 and a half weeks now. Some times he looks tons better, some times not. Debating when to take him back and to an orthopedist. Next step is x-rays, but I'm not sure the result would be anything more than more room or crate rest. Oddly enough, I seem to have developed a sympathy issue with my left leg, high on my outer thigh I have a soreness that has been there for 2+ weeks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Doctors orders... REST, REST, REST for BOTH OF YOU!!!!

Let us know how the x-rays go... virtual hugs coming your way!

6. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Gosh..Gavin has been bouncing off the walls this weekend! I feel guilty about leaving him penned up on the weekends and going off and doing stuff myself. The week is soo much easier becuase he is penned up when I am not home and he is relatively calm at night. But he is very very unhappy with the daytime containment when I am home. I have his pen in the kitchen table area, his pen in the living room, and one outside so he can enjoy the pretty weather. I never pick the right pen, apparently. I wish I was deaf so I didn't hear all his whining! OK..rant over. I don't know how I will make it through 2 more months of this when the weather is really nice out.

7. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

So 3 weeks into rest......I was going to go to ortho but then read that a drawer test (I heavily suspect a partially torn CCL) can do damage to a healing injury so decided not to do that. X-Rays do not show ligaments so are not conclusive anyway.. Made appt with a rehab vet instead. That is in another 3 weeks (I have a different rehab vet in 5 weeks, too)..these guys are busy! There is a ton of info and support groups out there for conservative management of torn CCLs. I have started all the supplements we are supposed to take for arthritis when we get old (Glucoasime, Chondroitin, HA, MSM,Tumeric with black pepper, Green Lipped Muscle, Bone Broth, Fish Oil, Vitamin E). All I can say, Bone Broth stinks! Repulsive stuff, but Gavin seems lo love it. Weened him off Carprofen as the supplements he is taking have anti-inflammatories. Apparently it can take 8 weeks to see any improvement, and it will take months more to fully heal it. So far, he is still limping, but is starting to do puppy bow stretches he wasn't doing before. I really wish I didn't have to wait to long to get him to the rehab vet.

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Poor little Gavin. So frustrating for both of you! I will add that the green lipped mussel has made a world of difference for Brooke (she has an elbow bone spur). She still limps some, but she is MUCH more active and willing to spontaneously tear around with Faith - pretty dang good for 12! I was so impressed I ordered a human version for myself due to achy protesting knees. One week in and I also feel better, less pain for sure. (y)

Hope the rehab vet can help you out, I know it's hard to wait. Sending good thoughts your way. :fl :hugs

9. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

He seems peppier without the carprofen. I have my living area + eating area all rugged and matted out now so it is easier to have him confined when I'm home without it being an x-pen. I basically just have to pen off the couch so he can't jump up. It makes things much easier. His not being able to hear is a struggle....I talk to him all the time but he can't hear me :( I feel so sad for him

10. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I am so sorry also. Lil' Lady is 12 and she climbs up the patio steps but she doesn't come up the
    stairs anymore and they are carpeted. Day by day Gavin will improve. Best Wishes Gavin recovers
    ASAP.