So important to scan Sheltie gallbladders

Good nuz for sure-- I guess Piper is Canadian for barker???? sounds right:) Our crew is great at the vets, very cooperative but at home they Pipe a lot at just about every noise imagined or real.
Piper’s certainly lives up to his name! The vet told me that Piper was a very good boy…he just lay there quietly while he was doing his thing.
It definitely gives me peace of mind knowing he’s good for now and we have a baseline for his next one. Next one is Finnie…I’m thinking he may need something to relax him especially because owners aren’t allowed downstairs. I hope genetics has something to do with it, Finnie is Piper’s ‘nephew’…his sire is Piper’s brother.
 
Awesome news for Piper!!!! So Piper is 9 and no issues? Wonderful, wonderful!!!! Did they tell you right away?

When are you having Finnie's done?

Funny, our Deacon is Brodie's nephew - Deacon's mom is Brodie's sister. When it is Deacon's turn, he will most likely have to be sedated, they won't get away with just a soft relax. I asked about Brodie's test - I was told sometimes they do it standing, sometimes laying down. Brodie is obedient so will down and stay no issue. Last year I had his teeth cleaned without sedation. Woman told me she would do what he allowed, might be minimal but the hope was he would relax enough to do the water cleaning. He came out drenched... think he actually liked having his teeth cleaned. Deacon won't allow anyone to touch his mouth unless really sedated so he won't qualify for anything like that.

I am so nervous about this.
 
Awesome news for Piper!!!! So Piper is 9 and no issues? Wonderful, wonderful!!!! Did they tell you right away?

When are you having Finnie's done?

Funny, our Deacon is Brodie's nephew - Deacon's mom is Brodie's sister. When it is Deacon's turn, he will most likely have to be sedated, they won't get away with just a soft relax. I asked about Brodie's test - I was told sometimes they do it standing, sometimes laying down. Brodie is obedient so will down and stay no issue. Last year I had his teeth cleaned without sedation. Woman told me she would do what he allowed, might be minimal but the hope was he would relax enough to do the water cleaning. He came out drenched... think he actually liked having his teeth cleaned. Deacon won't allow anyone to touch his mouth unless really sedated so he won't qualify for anything like that.

I am so nervous about this.
They brought Piper back and then maybe a few minutes later the vet came up to show me the results on his laptop and explained everything to me. I was prepared to not know anything until this vet spoke to my vet…so a day or two and was pleasantly surprised when he came up to talk to me.
For Finnie I need to speak to my vet and work something out in terms of possibly sedating him. He is much much more clingy to me but it’s more his fear of being placed on a table. I can do it (when grooming him) and once he’s down he will relax but it’s that initial first few minutes I worry about. He’d never hurt anyone, I worry about him and how upset he’d get! He’s such a sweet boy, he doesn’t understand the whole ordeal.
I think it took about 15 minutes (20 minutes max from the time they took Piper until they brought him back), they didn’t shave him at all but I did a REALLY good brushing of his belly just before we went. The vet said also (when they came to get him) that he uses alcohol to wet the fur to keep it out of the way. I did give him permission to shave if he HAD to.
I was worried as well! I did mention to my breeder I had Piper scanned and asked her if she’d ever lost a dog to gallbladder disease and she said she’d never had a dog (dogs she kept to show and breed) that had any gallbladder issues. She’s been involved with Shelties for over 45 years.
Fingers crossed that Brodie does well and has no problems as well!
 
All of our shelties have had such different personalities-- most have been somewhat barky but we had one that barked at thunderstorms 50 miles away but most have been good with vets. We have a cat and we give the cat gabapentin before we go to the vet and it doesn't make the cat drowsy but he is very cooperative once we get there.
 
Back
Top