Spirit Joy

Well, I just got the running order for the agility trial this weekend - and now I am fighting the nerves! I just want Spirit to have a good, fun experience out there, and if I get stressed out, she will feel it!!!! I have to relax - somehow - before we start on Thursday. *deep breath* I don't care if we win - I don't care if we Q - I just want her to have fun. And I can't let my own worrying affect her. I have to let this go by Wednesday!!!!!!
 
Well, when I got the trial this morning, my worst fears were realized. There was a teeter in the send zone for FAST. I had really wanted Spirit to have a run without the teeter first so she could get comfortable out there. But I decided to think positively, and Spirit got the teeter!!!!!! And it was gorgeous - no hesitations or anything. Then she refused the last jump, but to be fair to her, I wasn't really indicating it well. Either way, we had a huge celebration afterwards.

And then it all went downhill
1f641.png
:-( In her JWW run, she went around the first jump. I managed to get her back and she took the jump, but then a few obstacles in she got tunnel suck and went off course. Then she decided she didn't actually want to run anymore and walked away from me. I tried really hard to keep her going, but she was done. Same thing in Standard. Went around the first jump, I got her back. She did a pretty good a-frame, took the next few jumps, and then refused the dogwalk, then got on, started the ascent, turned around, and got off. So, I ran her off (she didn't seem to really want to follow me there either). I did give her cookies for putting on her leash - and then she threw up
1f641.png
:-( So I guess hot dogs are too rich for her. And, now I have to figure out what is going on with her in the ring. It's clearly not a teeter issue. I just don't know what it is, and whether she needs more ring exposure or less. We're just going to go in the afternoon tomorrow, try one run, and leave. Let's see how that goes.
 
Well, when I got the trial this morning, my worst fears were realized. There was a teeter in the send zone for FAST. I had really wanted Spirit to have a run without the teeter first so she could get comfortable out there. But I decided to think positively, and Spirit got the teeter!!!!!! And it was gorgeous - no hesitations or anything. Then she refused the last jump, but to be fair to her, I wasn't really indicating it well. Either way, we had a huge celebration afterwards.

And then it all went downhill
1f641.png
:-( In her JWW run, she went around the first jump. I managed to get her back and she took the jump, but then a few obstacles in she got tunnel suck and went off course. Then she decided she didn't actually want to run anymore and walked away from me. I tried really hard to keep her going, but she was done. Same thing in Standard. Went around the first jump, I got her back. She did a pretty good a-frame, took the next few jumps, and then refused the dogwalk, then got on, started the ascent, turned around, and got off. So, I ran her off (she didn't seem to really want to follow me there either). I did give her cookies for putting on her leash - and then she threw up
1f641.png
:-( So I guess hot dogs are too rich for her. And, now I have to figure out what is going on with her in the ring. It's clearly not a teeter issue. I just don't know what it is, and whether she needs more ring exposure or less. We're just going to go in the afternoon tomorrow, try one run, and leave. Let's see how that goes.
For some reason, the links are just opening to a blank page for me :confused2: Can you check to see if they're set to public? I feel you. The only way I can keep Echo from diving off of the teeter at trials is to run along next to her yelling "Wait, wait, wait" It's pretty awful, recent and she only does it at trials. She also will sometimes refuse the table at trials. The Table???? Puleeeze.
So, so hard to fix stuff that only happens in the ring.
 
For some reason, the links are just opening to a blank page for me :confused2: Can you check to see if they're set to public? I feel you. The only way I can keep Echo from diving off of the teeter at trials is to run along next to her yelling "Wait, wait, wait" It's pretty awful, recent and she only does it at trials. She also will sometimes refuse the table at trials. The Table???? Puleeeze.
So, so hard to fix stuff that only happens in the ring.
Thanks Lanie! The links are just smiley or frowny faces - for some reason when I copy them off facebook the faces don't come across.

Today was a little better. We scratched from FAST and JWW (and later found out that the send in FAST was tunnel to tunnel, I'm so mad that we didn't get there in time to do that because Spirit would have loved it). I also found out that the Open send from yesterday was in the Masters send today, so I'm not feeling too badly that Spirit couldn't get the last jump.

Anyway, she still went around the first jump (I have NO IDEA what that is about), but then I got her to take it and she started to run :-) But then, the 4th obstacle was the teeter and the 5th was the tunnel. Instead of cuing the teeter, I yelled TUNNEL by mistake. So I'm not going to fault Spirit for blasting by the teeter and dashing into the tunnel :-) Then she refused to weave, so I decided to just move on. She wouldn't take any of the other obstacles, but she did at least run with me to the end, and didn't completely shut down in the middle of the course. So I'm going to take that as a gift and hope that tomorrow is even better. I'm really not concerned about the obstacles. I know she understands how to do them, and this is just a question of getting her to do them in the ring. As our agility trainer always says, "Train attitude, not obstacles"!
 
Thanks Lanie! The links are just smiley or frowny faces - for some reason when I copy them off facebook the faces don't come across.

Today was a little better. We scratched from FAST and JWW (and later found out that the send in FAST was tunnel to tunnel, I'm so mad that we didn't get there in time to do that because Spirit would have loved it). I also found out that the Open send from yesterday was in the Masters send today, so I'm not feeling too badly that Spirit couldn't get the last jump.

Anyway, she still went around the first jump (I have NO IDEA what that is about), but then I got her to take it and she started to run :) But then, the 4th obstacle was the teeter and the 5th was the tunnel. Instead of cuing the teeter, I yelled TUNNEL by mistake. So I'm not going to fault Spirit for blasting by the teeter and dashing into the tunnel :) Then she refused to weave, so I decided to just move on. She wouldn't take any of the other obstacles, but she did at least run with me to the end, and didn't completely shut down in the middle of the course. So I'm going to take that as a gift and hope that tomorrow is even better. I'm really not concerned about the obstacles. I know she understands how to do them, and this is just a question of getting her to do them in the ring. As our agility trainer always says, "Train attitude, not obstacles"!
Are you leading out from the first jump that she's going around?
 
Nope. I'm starting with her. That's what's so strange. She's walking away from me, around the other side of the jump.
That is strange. I've had mine go around a start line jump in class if I was leading out really far. She hasn't done it to me at a trail yet (fingers crossed) I swear they do the weirdest things at trials.
 
She did it again today - but she did overall had a much better run. She refused all the contacts and popped out halfway through the weaves, but all I cared about was keeping her running. So when she refused something, I just ran past. She did greats jumps, and the tire, and even the table after an initial refusal. But most importantly, she had FUN!!!!!!!! She threw in a few sheltie spins at the end for good measure with her tail held high. It's been a long time since I've seen her that happy at an agility trial. So tomorrow we are going to do JWW, and possibly FAST, but not Standard. Hopefully she'll have fun with that too :-)
 
Today Spirit did even better! The FAST send had an a-frame, so I didn't even attempt the send. We just got in, did 4 jumps, tunnel, jump, then back to the tunnel, a final jump, and out of the ring. Spirit thought that doing TWO tunnels in one run was pretty awesome :-) On to our JWW run - she actually took the first jump correctly (FINALLY) and got through the first 14 obstacles cleanly, including 12 perfect weaves. Then someone started revving a motorcycle and it shook Spirit up. She stopped running, but I did get her to start up again. We had already passed the last 6 obstacles, but I did get her to at least take the final jump and run off happy!!!!!!! So it really does look as though she needs more ring exposure and just more confidence. I'm considering trying Rally with her because that will get her into the ring, but without any scary contact obstacles. We'll see. Anyway, I'm just over the moon happy that she seems more relaxed and confident out there. Everything else will fall into place :-)
 
Today Spirit did even better! The FAST send had an a-frame, so I didn't even attempt the send. We just got in, did 4 jumps, tunnel, jump, then back to the tunnel, a final jump, and out of the ring. Spirit thought that doing TWO tunnels in one run was pretty awesome :) On to our JWW run - she actually took the first jump correctly (FINALLY) and got through the first 14 obstacles cleanly, including 12 perfect weaves. Then someone started revving a motorcycle and it shook Spirit up. She stopped running, but I did get her to start up again. We had already passed the last 6 obstacles, but I did get her to at least take the final jump and run off happy!!!!!!! So it really does look as though she needs more ring exposure and just more confidence. I'm considering trying Rally with her because that will get her into the ring, but without any scary contact obstacles. We'll see. Anyway, I'm just over the moon happy that she seems more relaxed and confident out there. Everything else will fall into place :)
So happy to hear she's having fun. They really do turn into different dogs at a trial, don't they?
 
Back
Top