Subcutaneous Mast Cell Tumour

Grace is home now. She is seriously drugged up and had to be carried to and from the car. But she won't settle very well. She had a short 10minute sleep and now she's up again. Her ears are flat against her head and she looks so unhappy.

The vet said the surgeon removed a lot from abdomen to give very big margins. It all sounded so very brutal. They can't confirm they have got everything and will wait for the results of the liver biopsy (next week) and the Ki67 test (2 weeks). For now no walks for 2 weeks. Meds for 7 days. Check up in 4 days and 10 days. And lots of prayers.

I cannot stop crying. My poor girl. It's all so very hard to deal with.
Hopefully once the drugs are out of her system she’ll settle a bit more. Hard for a dog...we understand what pain is while they don’t. Give her lots of pats and hugs to you! I can understand your tears, I lost my last boy almost 2 years ago but the one thing that helped me was understanding that he didn’t know why I was upset and as much as I was I didn’t want to make him sad....easier said than done I know.:hugs:hugs:hugs
 
I had the same experience with Checkers post surgery. My vet gave us gabapentin which really helped with her pain and to keep her calm. I had to keep her immobile for 6 weeks after her skin graft. She took one 100 mg gabapentin 3 times a day. If you don't have it, you might want to ask your vet about it. It's so hard to see them that way. Praying that you get a good report on the results and she's more comfortable tomorrow. Sending you hugs.
 
Grace has been through a really tough surgery and I know that mine, even after just being under for a dental, often won't settle, won't eat or even drink for 24+ hours. And Grace has had so much more done, necessary for answers and treatment, but it is hard. Ann mentioned Gabapentin and that is a really safe pain med which might help Grace settle if you have it or can ask your vet for it. It is so devastating to see a little dog you love struggling, I understand the tears. BTW if Grace won't eat or drink by tomorrow morning you can make a very thin broth, or just water, and squirt it into her mouth with a little syringe or dropper. Keeping her well hydrated is really important. Many hugs and well wishes that tomorrow will seem a bit brighter for your precious Grace and for you.
Trini
 
Thank you so much everyone. Your support is such a huge help. Grace is settled now and as she is resting I'm feeling more at ease. I am hoping for a better day tomorrow.

I have meds to start from tomorrow Pardale-V which is a codeine and paracatamol and Loxicom which is a NSAID.

Going to sleep downstairs with her tonight as I don't want to leave her.
 
Grace has been through a really tough surgery and I know that mine, even after just being under for a dental, often won't settle, won't eat or even drink for 24+ hours. And Grace has had so much more done, necessary for answers and treatment, but it is hard. Ann mentioned Gabapentin and that is a really safe pain med which might help Grace settle if you have it or can ask your vet for it. It is so devastating to see a little dog you love struggling, I understand the tears. BTW if Grace won't eat or drink by tomorrow morning you can make a very thin broth, or just water, and squirt it into her mouth with a little syringe or dropper. Keeping her well hydrated is really important. Many hugs and well wishes that tomorrow will seem a bit brighter for your precious Grace and for you.
Trini

Thank you Trini. I have Gabapentin at home because I'm taking it, but I really don't no how safe that is mixing with the other drugs. I don't want to take any risks.

And thank you for the tip re broth or water. I will remember that if we have any problems as I have some syringes here. xx
 
Grace has been through a really tough surgery and I know that mine, even after just being under for a dental, often won't settle, won't eat or even drink for 24+ hours. And Grace has had so much more done, necessary for answers and treatment, but it is hard. Ann mentioned Gabapentin and that is a really safe pain med which might help Grace settle if you have it or can ask your vet for it. It is so devastating to see a little dog you love struggling, I understand the tears. BTW if Grace won't eat or drink by tomorrow morning you can make a very thin broth, or just water, and squirt it into her mouth with a little syringe or dropper. Keeping her well hydrated is really important. Many hugs and well wishes that tomorrow will seem a bit brighter for your precious Grace and for you.
Trini

I squirted Pedialyte into Gavin's mouth at one point.....
 
The anesthesia and the whole experience can make them unsettled for a day or two for sure. My Meadow was so whiny and timid suddenly after her spay. In 2 days she was back to normal and then it was HARD to keep her quiet. Sounds like Grace is going to be well taken care of by you. All fingers and paws crossed here that there is better news ahead.
 
I ended up using a puppy playpen when Gavin was in treatment and recovering. Just a cheap foldable one as he wasn't a puppy or a chewer.
Just big enough for a dog bed pretty much. I nice little den, but a better fit for his cushy circular dog beds.
They are great for travelling too since they fold up small.
 
Thank you Trini. I have Gabapentin at home because I'm taking it, but I really don't no how safe that is mixing with the other drugs. I don't want to take any risks.

And thank you for the tip re broth or water. I will remember that if we have any problems as I have some syringes here. xx
It sounds like your vet provided Grace with good hard hitting pain meds. I agree that it would not wise to add anything else, even a very safe med like Gabapentin, without checking with your vet...and it sounds like Grace is perking up a bit since she trotted off to sleep in her usual place...that is a positive sign and may well mean that the meds she is on are doing a good job. Hope you both have a reasonably peaceful night.
Trini
 
Back
Top