Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Dog Who Will Eat Anything

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Cara Sandler, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor dogs and their parents - well understand you get so frightened :rolleyes2:

It has always been my biggest fear of these stinging insects
    -think if the dog was stung in the mouth and are allergic.

Minnie has been the easiest - she knows she should not snap at wasps or bumblebees.
    - she can spend so much time -lying in the grass looking at the bumblebees which collects Nectar in clover :yes:
    - but a quick wasp, it has gone well so far.

My first GDS - was really bad - she killed them with a certain trick
    - where she clasped her front teeth and at the same time a quick twist with her head
    - after this, they lay dead on earth :eek2: I hated this !!!!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Crazy girl, why on earth did she do that. Or shouldn't I ask - "it was there so I ate it"

Tully once got bitten on her face and turned into a Chipmunk. I have never seen anything like it, she literally had no nose. If I wasn't in such a panic to get her to the vet I'd have taken a photo. Luckily I got a phenergan into her on the way the way there. And very lucky it was her face and not her mouth she was bitten. Vet thinks it was a bull ant.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Not sure he enjoyed it as there was just puncture holes LOL However with Sca it was this could be food then if not he spit it out. With Angus it is this could be Angus's on just about anything. In a rare case Spitfire is the good one and basically leaves stuff alone LOL

Cara Sandler likes this.
  4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Yes, it was there so she ate it :)

And how scary!!!! Poor Tully! That had to feel awful :-(

5. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Hanne, your Minnie sounds like such a wonderfully well behaved sheltie!!!!!! You must have worked very hard with her :)

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Cara - or she may have "Sheltie trained" me :lol::lol:

As you know, I always have my puppies / dogs with me when I'm home.
    - I never close them away - even though I sometimes want to do it :rolleyes2:
    therefore, they learn the normal behavior, incl very quickly be toilet trained

The first thing I teach my dogs as soon as they get home is
    - come when I call and drop things when I ask for it, always as a play and with joy and reward.

Never had a dog like Minnie who would eat anything when we went for a walk
    - everything from cigarette butts and --- you mention it :eek2:

It was really a trial for me to keep my patience and to be a good and loving mom :uhoh:,
    but we managed to turn it around - so that she was so proud when she found something and let it lie
    - she looked so proud at me for praise and a reward :yes:

She's really so sweet :hugs
    -when she lies in the grass -and looking at the bumble bees, you can see her thinking "what in the world do they do"

(It is among other things therefore I only have one dog, though it really is tempting to get a little sibling to Minnie)

Cara Sandler likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Awwww, what a sweet picture that brings to mind :)

Hanne likes this.
  8. PuppyLovin

PuppyLovin Forums Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Utah
    Lucy ate a sock two weeks ago... $500 later and she was home from a long day at the vet:mad1:

she wasn't even 4 months old yet and we're still trying to figure out how she downed the whole thing in half a second before we could grab it:gaah

Caro likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is just awful!!

I am so glad she is home now and they could remove the sock without further complicates!

You certainly have your hands full with Lucy!

I hope this is the last time she gets into trouble!

That would have scared the crap out of me!

10. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Um, she's a sheltie! They can eat ANYTHING!!!!!! But glad to hear she's ok :)

Hanne likes this.