The little @#*!@!**

I don't actually mind the howling if there was a reason or I am at home to get him to stop after a short time. But it seems to be out of boredom or frustration. and that means it happens when I am at work (I've seen it on my webcam). And my poor neighbor trying to work upstairs has no recourse for who knows how long.

And he does bark at me, but one bark here and there to tell me to play or take him out to potty is very different from barking uncontrollably.

My neighbors have been so great about this, but they shouldn't have to put up with this endlessly.

I am not trying to train out his personality, just tame the expression of it a bit.
Gavin learned not to bark much at home but that he could bark as much as he wanted at the beach, so he barked non stop there!
I’m so thankful none of mine are howlers although Finnie will howl if Blueberry is playing with a loud squeaky toy (and he surprises himself when he does it lol). What drives me crazy is his barking (any time we go into a pet store or any pet friendly store)…the first 5 minutes until he settles down is non stop anxious barking. Same as when he wants his bedtime treat…he runs up the stairs ahead of me and barks the whole way. It’s like a tunnel (the stairwell) and is deafening!
On the plus side he’s the sweetest boy on the bed (he didn’t become this way until at least 2) and loves to cuddle so it sort of evens out.
 
Some things will get better as he gets older, but I have no way of knowing which of his less desireable personality traits will.
Gavin was a great traveller, and I'd like for Pico to be as well.
At least to be able to ride in the car for a few hours and to go hiking/camping.
and to be welcome at people's houses as a visitor.
I never want to impose on my friends with a less than good houseguest doggie.
thanksgiving is a big test for me to work towards.
him learning to walk with me will be a big step....I really do not know how to do this.

So far no signs of aggression, although he does growl and bark at me when grooming.
I am working on that and I hope that is mostly a puppy thing....
we need to work on him trusting me and realizing that just because he doesn't like something doesn't carrying on is OK.
and that being calm means it's over sooner and it is less likely to hurt (he is still a very wiggly puppy at the worst times)
and yes, he can be a drama queen and yap even before I comb him.

and I am still waiting for the sheltie people pleaser trait.
I don't know when that kicks in with puppies....
 
I think at this stage I would encourage you to find a good trainer and/or take puppy classes with him. A good trainer will help you figure out how to best train Pico. Every dog is different, Cindy. He's never going to be Gavin, although I understand you want him to have basic manners. Everything is baby steps though, because he IS a baby. The playdate photos are absolutely adorable and he looks comfortable and happy.

He WILL get there. Just in his own way. Keep the faith! :yes:
 
I have to agree with Lisa and Sharon. Puppies are a challenge. I always say it's a good thing they're cute, because it's like raising a child. And trust me, I'd rather raise a puppy most days! They do outgrow the phases...you'll be surprised at how he changes and settles as he ages and lots of positive reinforcement helps that happen. Classes would be great for him and give you tools to shape his behavior.

Above all, try to relax and enjoy his puppyhood. He will feel it when you're not happy with him and push back or shut down. That doesn't help him to trust you. It looks like he enjoyed the playdate and the photos are great! Lots of positive experiences are what he needs. Hang in there!
 
we did puppy classes.....he always performed great.
he's like that. better for other people!
He gets lots of fun time...lots of play time.
I am really patient with him. walking has got to be the hardest, and I go through A LOT of cheerios.
I just vent on here LOL.

he loved his playdate...and he's been asked back.
So my weekends are full of Pico enrichment activities.
They need to be fun for a puppy though..he is still very much a FUN and PLAY puppy
 
I have to agree with Lisa and Sharon. Puppies are a challenge. I always say it's a good thing they're cute, because it's like raising a child. And trust me, I'd rather raise a puppy most days! They do outgrow the phases...you'll be surprised at how he changes and settles as he ages and lots of positive reinforcement helps that happen. Classes would be great for him and give you tools to shape his behavior.

Above all, try to relax and enjoy his puppyhood. He will feel it when you're not happy with him and push back or shut down. That doesn't help him to trust you. It looks like he enjoyed the playdate and the photos are great! Lots of positive experiences are what he needs. Hang in there!
Yep Ian stayed in my lap and on the leg lift Sunday night. Now admittedly he could see out the window of the back door so that helped. Oh and it drove Spitfire nuts so that helped. But progress from the wild man.
 
Puppies are a lot like kids. They will behave way better for others than their parents.For the parents they constantly press your boundaries to see how much they can get away with.
Take your time and be patient and slowly with a lot of love and attention they will come around to your way of thinking. Just enjoy the ride in the meantime cause they are only puppies once.
When Teddy was a puppy I always walked with multiple treats that I thought of a regular and high level treats. He knew if he wanted his dream treat he had to be extra good or all he got was regular treats (Cheerios).
 
Back
Top