None of my shelties have ever like going for a ride inthe car. I used to crate them and I think that made them feel secure but they were never happy about going. Now I have their harness buckled to the seat head rest with a special leash and my current pair seem OK with that-- they can lay down on the seat-on a towel- or sit up and look around. As for walks once on the walk I have not had any problems with any sheltie. But like in obedience classes I keep mine on short lead and pretty much at heel-- I don't let them run off on a long lead and even tho I do let them stop and read the peemail or get a mouthful of grass now and them I pretty much lead them not let them lead me and they seem fine with that- everyone comments on how well they walk together and they do. When I first started walking with this pair the male was fine but he had lots of training before I got him and the female was not such a big fan and would sort of try to stop walking.. I think the male helped her get over whatever she was going thru and for awhile our walks were very short -- like 2/10s of a mile and she got to know she was going to go home after- it took about a week and now she is just fine. In general Shelties dont seem to like change/differences in their live- routine is the thing--and ours have always been happiest at home but they tolerated our demands and trust us now. I would have loved to take them camping/back packing but I would have them on lead the whole way cause Shelites can be spooked or chase a chippie and run blindly away..but still it would have been fun I think. Cindy good luck with Pico he seems to have his opinion on things, btw have you tried howling back when he howls?? HOpe that wouldn't egg him on..




